Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Krabi to Ko Samui

• lorievans121

Joined Travelfish
    3rd April, 2013

Hey Guys,

I land in Krabi at 2.00 pm and I want to go to Ko Samui .

1. Am I best off staying in krabi for the night and travelling the next day. Or would i manage to travel to Ko Samui in the same day?
    2.Where in Krabi can i find a bus to Surat Thani? How much does it cost? How long does it take? and how regular is it?

Thanks in advance

Lori

#1 Posted: 27/6/2013 - 15:48

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Why do you want to go to Samui? Krabi is cheaper and better. The whole bus/ferry thing takes 5-6 hrs approx. incl waiting time. From Krabi airport you would need to go into town I would think then book a transfer.

I would recommend Krabi/Trang though over Samui.

#2 Posted: 27/6/2013 - 23:14

• lorievans121

Joined Travelfish
    3rd April, 2013

the main reason was that I read that the weather was better on samui side rather than krabi side during the rainy season! and that island hoping is harder during this time as there arent as many boats.

#3 Posted: 29/6/2013 - 11:22

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Google map here

This might be too late to change, but it would make a lot more sense to fly into Surat Thani or Samui airport. It's doubtful landing at Krabi 2pm you would make the last ferry to Samui. Take a shuttle to Krabi bus station (wait...) bus to Surat Thani (Phunphin district, minimum 160km 2 hours) then wait some more, bus or minivan to Don Sak pier (min. 90km 90 minutes). Only way to beat the system and definitely make the 6pm ferry would be direct private taxi from Krabi airport, but expensive! estimate 4-5000 baht depending on negotiating skills. Otherwise stay one night in Surat Thani and get the morning ferry. ^True, if you're going anytime June-September the east coast has a better chance of sunshine. Hope it works out for you.

#4 Posted: 30/6/2013 - 05:15

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Personally I'd stay the night in Krabi town and head out the next morning. An all-in transfer to Samui (around 600 baht) would be the easiest/fastest and probably wouldn't cost much, if any more than going it independent. All of the info for Krabi on Travelfish was very recently updated.

Krabi has some good cheap guesthouses and overall it's not a bad town to loll around in for a night. You'd even have enough time to do a little boat trip or head up to Wat Tham Suea -- incredible views if you can manage the 1,237 steps.

#5 Posted: 30/6/2013 - 11:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.