Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

bangkok in september... what about dengue

• zobizoba

Joined Travelfish
    27th June, 2013

Hi, i'm a french 26y old guy and my gf is in thailand... She is studying and got 1 month of holiday in september, i would like to go but i heard about dengue... 1 month ago i was in Phuket and i got bite by a mosquito on the neck and some days after i got head hache for 48 hours, i think (but not sure) it was dengue but hopefully nothing bad...

i read when you got dengue for second time, it can be dangerous, well september is still the raining saison right ? i read everywhere on internet in bangkok dengue is crazy actually, lots of people got it and 50 peoples died.

i know you guys can't choose for me... because 0% of risk never exist, but i would like to know your advice about that.

i know already if i go i have to protect myself, there are lots of good lotion in 7-11 but well, i'm still scared and i have to make a choice now because soon all the cheap seats will be taken...

thank you for your advice and sorry for my bad english ! :p

#1 Posted: 27/6/2013 - 16:14

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

A lot of posts on here lately relating to dengue so as someone who has had it I thought I'd stick down a few of my thoughts. I think all posters have agreed the best defence against it is use some kind of anti-mosquito lotion applied liberally. Unlike malaria there is no prophylactic pill.
    I won't pretend dengue is a mild illness, it is horrible. Even taking paracetamol I was constantly aching and extremely uncomfortable. The bottom line is there's nothing more you can do to avoid it after applying your ' mosquito cream' so your only choice is should I go on the trip or not and if I go will I let worry ruin my fun. Statistically your chances of getting it are low. I suggest you cover yourself in lotion and forget about it otherwise you are just going to ruin your trip anyway by worrying.
    BTW You say you think you might have got it. Dengue is a lot more than a headache. Most of your joints ache unbearably and I found the worse part of that was being unable to lie still in any sort comfortable position. I have heard it is worse second time around but hey what can you do?
    Good luck and enjoy your trip. Forget about dengue.

#2 Posted: 27/6/2013 - 20:10

• zobizoba

Joined Travelfish
    27th June, 2013

Thanks for your reply !

Yeah i think i have got it one time because i got bite by a mosquito and a few days after the headache came, but it was alot... i was about to go to the hospital, but finaly i waited a bit more and gone.
    I know normally dengue is worse than this but for some people the first dengue experience is just asymptomatic, to me it was a kind of benign form of dengue. To be sure of that i think i can make a blood test but well... To me it was dengue for sure because i never felt a kind of headache like this in my life and it was just after the mosquito bite... Or maybe mosquitos can give another kind of virus that give headache for a few days, i don't know about that.

But you are right, if i go i should stop worrying about it because i'll ruin my fun like you said, you know before i didn't care about it and i didn't even know that disease, but in a forum i saw some french talking about it, a woman said that her husband got it and was in the hospital for 10 days... then i started to search about that disease.. internet can make hypocondriac sometimes xD

#3 Posted: 27/6/2013 - 20:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.