Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Visa Help

• Starving_So-
    und

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2013
    Location United States

This is all very confusing. Much help would be appreciated.

I have a Non-Immigrant Type O Multiple Entry Visa (year). I don't understand what exactly I have to do or do not have to do. I'm hearing many different things and the official websites are confusing and mostly talk about how to get one.

What do I have to do with this type of Visa every 90 days? Is making a border run all I have to do? Do I have to go to Immigration to and get a resident thingmajig? That's the main part I don't understand. Can I do both at immigration? Do I have to do both?

Thanks.

#1 Posted: 29/6/2013 - 18:56

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hey Starving,

Sorry I don't have any first-hand experience with this type of visa, but here is what the Thai Consulate Los Angeles website has to say. I imagine you can call the closest Thai Consulate to ask them, or even just wait until you arrive and check in with Thai Immigration there. I hope you have a good trip. Cheers.

Validity of visa
    The validity of visa is three months for a single-entry (permit to stay up to 90 days in Thailand unless extension is granted by Thai Immigration) or one year for a multiple-entry (for each entry permit to stay up to 90 days in Thailand unless extension is granted by Thai Immigration). For example, with a single-entry visa you have three months to enter Thailand from when the visa is issued. For a one-year multiple-entry visa you have up to one year to enter Thailand as often as you require. Each entry on a Non-Immigrant visa is up to 90 days (except for Non-Immigrant O-A visas) unless and extension is granted by Thai Immigration. Not all Non-Immigrant visas can be issued for one-year multiple-entry.

Period of stay
    - Travelers with this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 90 days per entry. Extension of stay may be granted by applying for an extension through the Thai Immigration Bureau. For information on extending the permitted stay, please visit their web site at http://www.immigration.go.th/ or download the Thai Immigration Form TM7 for Visa Extension.

#2 Posted: 29/6/2013 - 21:40

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

The bare minimum you must do is report to Immigration every 90 days (free of charge).
    Use form TM47 which is just a one-pager available at any Immigration office, or online here:
    http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm47.pdf

Or make sure you leave Thailand at least every 90 days, then return same day or later. Having a multiple-entry visa just means you can leave Thailand and return on the same visa within the validity period (in your case one year) without a re-entry permit. On a single-entry visa you would have to buy a re-entry permit each time for 1000 baht before leaving the Kingdom.

More information here:
    http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/3139-useful-immigration-information-visa-descriptions

#3 Posted: 30/6/2013 - 03:31

• Starving_So-
    und

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2013
    Location United States

I guess that's what I don't get. So - I don't have to do both. I can do the border run and exit and come back and skip immigration altogether?

Thanks for the help, guys.

#4 Posted: 30/6/2013 - 09:51

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

No you don't have to do both. Either exit Thailand and return (which involves an Immigration stamp) every 90 days or report to local Immigration every 90 days.

When you enter Thailand the first time the Immigration officer should give you a 90-day entry stamp, but double-check before you walk away. Also a good time to ask questions if you're still unclear on visa policy.

#5 Posted: 1/7/2013 - 12:41

• Starving_So-
    und

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2013
    Location United States

Thanks.

#6 Posted: 1/7/2013 - 15:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.