Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Arriving in Bangkok around 10:30pm..too late to check in anywhere?

• Travelguy76

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2013
    Location Global Village

Hey folks...how late can I check into hostels or hotels in bangkok? I probably won't be walking out of the airport until 11:30 or midnight....should I just wander around all night, or are late night check-ins pretty normal? Any recommendations on where to stay? Budget is anywhere from hostel prices to $75 a night. Thanks.

Brent

#1 Posted: 30/6/2013 - 00:38

• Advertisement

• boxee

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008
    Location Singapore

hi brent why not just book your hotel for the 1st night , this can take away alot of stress when arriving late , bkk is a big place so research what area you want to stat in (ko san road, sucumvit road , or just close to the airport )

danny

#2 Posted: 30/6/2013 - 02:04

• Travelguy76

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2013
    Location Global Village

Hi Danny, thanks for replying. I've looked into that scenario, and it's a definite possibility. That being said, I'm only looking to be in bangkok for three days at the most, before heading down to koh tao for diving. From the time I get to bangkok, I have only about ten or eleven days before I have to be in chiang mai for at least a month or two....and diving all morning, and relaxing all afternoon on a beach are much more important to me than hanging around in bangkok. I figure once I'm settled in chiang mai ( teaching ), I'll have greater opportunities for weekend jaunts to BKK, than I would for fun and relaxation in the southern islands.

#3 Posted: 30/6/2013 - 02:40

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

In the tourist ghettos around Khao San Road and Sukhumvit there are plenty of guesthouses and hotels which have 24-hour reception. By the time you've grabbed a metered taxi from the airport to either of these locations it'll be at least midnight, but no worries, plenty of people show up late and get rooms on the spot. Or take the mystery out of it by pre-booking one night, up to you. If you're heading south soon after I'd choose the KSR/Soi Rambutri area which is relatively near the Sai Tai Mai southern bus terminal (across the river by tuk tuk), or there's a Lomprayah office near KSR.

See Travelfish listings here:
    http://www.travelfish.org/accommodation/thailand/bangkok_and_surrounds/bangkok/khao_san_road/all
    Lomprayah office:
    http://goo.gl/maps/J3Fgt

#4 Posted: 30/6/2013 - 04:03

• Travelguy76

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2013
    Location Global Village

Captain, you are awesome. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your depth of knowledge and experience. I owe you a few beers!

Brent

#5 Posted: 30/6/2013 - 15:34

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Come 'round for a brewski and khao soy when you get to Chiang Mai =)
    http://www.chiangmaicafe.org/ginnycafe

#6 Posted: 1/7/2013 - 14:05

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

in fact the best known guidebook-often so unrightly misaligned on this site, even has a special box about late arrivals-as its so common- both the late/midnight arrival of many interconti planes and the fact that >90% of all BKK-hotels/guesthss, hoStels etc have 24 hr reception-and the eternal worries this post again shows of-though it may mean to you have to wake up the man on duty-dont worry-this is pretty normal anywhere in TH. But in busy times; first open eyes and check if there is not a sign saying"" room full''.

#7 Posted: 2/7/2013 - 06:36

• Travelguy76

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2013
    Location Global Village

Great advice.... Thank you!

#8 Posted: 2/7/2013 - 17:20

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Captain
    Are you referring to Lonely Planet, written mostly by haughty, self-absorbed assholes? I can't stand it. It's not the informaiton that irritates, it's the tone. Attempts by people who are not particularly good writers or sophisticated to pretend they are both. Each page read is plagued with annoying verbiage.

#9 Posted: 3/7/2013 - 00:30

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

".....how late can I check into hostels or hotels in bangkok? I probably won't be walking out of the airport until 11:30 or midnight....should I just wander around all night, or are late night check-ins pretty normal? Any recommendations on where to stay? Budget is anywhere from hostel prices to $75 a night. Thanks."

(Assuming you are arriving at Suvarnabhumi and not Don Muang.)

Many people arrive late at night. For me a 10:30 arrival would be early! By the time you get your passport stamped your check-in bag might still be coming off the conveyor. I walk fast and pass many of the people from my flight. At the airport you can change your currency over to Thai baht all night long. Get some small bills for paying taxi drivers.

You should be early enough to use the Airport Rail Link to get into the city area. With City Line only 45 baht to get to Phaya Thai where you can switch to the Skytrain for a cheap ride to the Nana area where there are many cheap hotels.
    http://www.urbanrail.net/as/bang/bangkok.htm

Here are some sample hotels. Other cheaper and more expensive places available you can look over the next day. Walk to malls, street vendors, nightlife, travel agents for tours, restaurants and even supermarkets! (Some cheap hotels with A/C, private toilet, TV and towels starting around 600 baht or $20 US. Some Hostels like Suk 11 and Soi One Hostel in this Nana area.)

Maxim's Inn.
    http://www.maximinn.com/contact.html

Nana Ibis.
    http://www.bangkok.com/ibis-nana/

Swiss Park Hotel.
    http://www.swissparkhotelbangkok.com/

Swiss Park Hotel is real close to the Nana Skytrain stop. Suk 11 Hostel is just after this Swiss Park place. Your budget is good enough to use hotels or guest houses with your own private toilet and shower. All of the above hotels have private toilets, air conditioning, TV and towels.

Taxi service available from the airport all night long.
    http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/52

Tell your hotel you will be a late arrival. If not when they don't see you around 8 or 9 pm they may give the room away thinking you are a no show. Send them a reminder email the day you fly out too.

Good luck.

#10 Posted: 6/7/2013 - 22:56

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

For 3 nights book a nice hotel, not some crappy hostel. You can get a decent hotel room for $50 in Bangkok. Online is your best bet. Admiral Suites in Sukhumvit is decent around the $40-50 mark incl breakfast.

http://www.admiralsuites.com/z1035/promotions.html

#11 Posted: 7/7/2013 - 06:41

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"there are plenty of guesthouses and hotels which have 24-hour reception"

Nearly all the good hotels have 24 hr reception. Even some of the crappy KSR dumps as well.

Word of advice though - do try to stay near the skytrain as the taxi situation is getting worse every year and they often don't want to take you to certain areas. Much easier to move around if you can walk to skytrain.

#12 Posted: 7/7/2013 - 06:45

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

i'm usually in the same situation as sirhalberd, arriving in BKK late at night on flights originating in north american and transiting tokyo or seoul. if i know i'm going to be arriving late in a big city, i always book at least the first night and usually more so i can relax and not have to worry about finding a room, particularly if the flight arrives later than scheduled.

i think LeonardCohen1 makes a great suggestion about staying in a proper hotel for those first few nights, particularly if you can afford it. where else besides Bangkok (or Las Vegas) could you stay in such a nice room (including breakfast) for so little money - like in the places he and sirhalberd suggest.

i like staying along the skytrain too for ease of getting around, and riding the subway on my last trip to bangkok really opened up additional parts of the city like Din Daeng as well. but the bummer is neither the subway or the skytrain will get you to the Sanam Luang/Rattanakosin area, where most of the stuff first-time visitors to Bangkok want to see is located. i guess if you stay up on Sukhumvit, you could always take canal boat, which is relatively quick and cheap. just be sure to keep your mouth closed in case of water spray! cheers.

#13 Posted: 7/7/2013 - 20:53

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Silom skytrain line takes you to the river and you catch ferry it to the temples.

#14 Posted: 8/7/2013 - 06:13

• NowhereMan

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2013
    Location Global Village

Lots of great words of wisdom here,folks. Thank you.... As it turns out, I was able to make a last minute change, and will now be arriving at 8:35 am. I'm figuring about an hour and a half at the airport, then the ride into the city via Skytrain.... Should be in central bangkok by 11:30 or so, right? So if the hotel is the way to go, and good recommendations? I want to stay in bangkok Friday and Saturday nights, then head down to Koh Tao via Lomprayah catamaran on Sunday if possible. I just need to be in Chiang Mai by around the 23rd, give or take a day or two....

Brent

#15 Posted: 8/7/2013 - 09:27

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

What days are you planning on being in Bangkok? I'll be there next week over the weekend if you want to link up.

As fopr hotel recommendations - that's a huge variable. I always stay in Sukhimvite close to soi 18, because there's a salsa club there I lilke and I want to be close to it. You might have some sort of specific preference or hobby which drives your location. There are literallly hundreds, perhaps thousands, of places to stay in Bangkok. The city is huge.

#16 Posted: 8/7/2013 - 10:40

• NowhereMan

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2013
    Location Global Village

Friday and Saturday, Mac... I want to get to koh tao as quickly as I can.

#17 Posted: 8/7/2013 - 10:52

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I'll be at La Rueda next Saturday if you want to link up. It's on Soi 18 in Sukhimvite. Right as you enter the Soi on the right hand side. Yellow and black sign.

#18 Posted: 8/7/2013 - 12:15

• NowhereMan

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2013
    Location Global Village

Cool Mac...I'll see if I can find my way there. I'm not really sure what area I want to stay in just yet...all I know is that I'd like to be within relatively easy proximity to a Lomprayah office to book a bus/ferry combo to Koh Tao. Naturally, I'd like to see what all the buzz is about with Nana, soi Cowboy, etc, just for the novelty of it, as well as check khao San road to see the hordes of backpackers congregating in one place hahaha. I'm really quite open to any and all ideas, but have a very short window, as I have to be in chiang mai by around July 23rd or 24th. Anything that happens or could happen between the 12th and 23rd....completely want to just take it as comes.

#19 Posted: 8/7/2013 - 23:17

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I'm not a fan of Nana or Soi Cowboy, but Soi 18 is pretty close to it. I can steer you there if you want. Anyway, if you have time, feel free to drop by. I'll be teaching there for a little while (probably 8-10 PM) but after that I'll have some time to chat.

#20 Posted: 9/7/2013 - 08:39

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

If it's his first trip to BKK a trip to Nana or Cowboy can be a bit of fun. More fun than looking at backpackers on KSR. But I think a visit to the nightclubs on Soi 4 Ratcha are more interesting. These clubs cater to a Thai crowd so you get to see the locals party.

http://www.boutiquebangkok.com/bangkok/ratchada-soi-4-bangkok-nightlife

#21 Posted: 9/7/2013 - 09:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Arriving Late in Bangkok ... By bdtjones on 20 Jan 2011 3 3469 23 Jan 2011
Arriving in late (Bangkok) ... By noel59 on 28 Jan 2011 14 2758 1 Feb 2011
Arriving Late in Ho Chi Minh ... By TheOtherOne on 1 May 2009 2 2048 2 May 2009
Arriving in BKK late at night ... By amylou on 26 Jan 2010 8 2638 28 Jan 2010
Arriving late in Thailand! Advice? ... By crystalrsh on 13 Sep 2013 10 1613 16 Sep 2013
Arriving late at night in Kuching? ... By modulatrix on 20 Apr 2013 2 1087 21 Apr 2013
Arriving late into Phuket Airport, what to do/where to stay? ... By rustythomson on 4 Dec 2013 2 1028 29 Dec 2013
Arriving late in HCMC/Hotel advice ... By brilliantjoy on 5 May 2014 3 1096 30 Aug 2014
arriving late, where to stay/long term rentals ... By musicalnomads on 17 Aug 2009 2 3452 18 Aug 2009