Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

island vacation &monsoon ???

• idit

Joined Travelfish
    29th June, 2013

hello!!
    we will be returning from 20 days in Laos &Cambodia on the beg of September & still have about 2+ that we will want to spend on the beaches.. we are with 3 kids (4;7,11) and i wander where is a good chois considering its monsoon time.. we thoght about kochang since we come from Laos but i understand it gets lots and lots of rain and though Samoi is suppused to be the driest I wish for somthing more calm..

tks idit..

#1 Posted: 30/6/2013 - 01:06

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

"still have about 2+" ???
    2 days? weeks?
    If only 2 days go to Ko Samet which is typically drier than most islands, has relatively calm beaches and is close to Bangkok, assuming you fly out of BKK at the end.

#2 Posted: 30/6/2013 - 03:37

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

we thoght about kochang since we come from Laos

I strongly recommend you look at a map before you set off. Ko Chang is nowhere near Laos. It's near Trat which is near the Cambodian border.

Have you thought about how long it takes to get between different places when planning this trip? If you've only got 2 days between leaving Laos and getting on a flight home, you won't have enough time to go to an island. It would take the best part of a day just to get there, even if you fly most of the way.

If you've got 2 weeks for beach time, then Ko Samui, Ko Tao, Ko Phangan or Ko Samet should be OK weatherwise.

#3 Posted: 30/6/2013 - 04:03

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Fair point SBE, I was thinking 2+ days on a beach NOT including travel time from Laos or Cambodia.

#4 Posted: 30/6/2013 - 04:31

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Have just read on another post that OP has 2 weeks for southern Thailand. Therefore as above, Samui/Phangan/Tao best chance of sun in September. If you think Samui would be too crazy, Ko Phangan has some quieter beaches on the north half of the island away from the party scene. If you can afford a bit of luxury check out the Bay View Resort on Had Yao on the upper west coast. http://www.haadyao-bayviewresort.com The kids would probably love the big pool with view of the ocean (I did).

#5 Posted: 30/6/2013 - 05:47

• idit

Joined Travelfish
    29th June, 2013

hi to you all I ment 2 weeks of course and actually even a bit more.. so.
    thanks again and will be happy for your device...
    Idit

#6 Posted: 30/6/2013 - 11:58

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi idit,

Don't forget that unless you are flying back into Thailand, or unless you have a multiple-entry visa, you will only receive 15 days when you return.

#7 Posted: 30/6/2013 - 12:28

• idit

Joined Travelfish
    29th June, 2013

hi you all thank you!

Had Yao seems great!
    anyone knows how krabi is on September?

tks! idit

#8 Posted: 30/6/2013 - 14:26

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

September is usually one of the wettest months for the Krabi (west coast) area, but if you are lucky the sun comes out for a few hours. Best chance of sun is usually mid-day when it's hottest, then as the air cools moisture condenses and rains fall late afternoon or evening. No guarantees. Again, your best bet for September sun is the east coast.

#9 Posted: 1/7/2013 - 13:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
New resort in Ko Payam island, Ranong - Buffalo Bay Vacation Club ... By DIMA on 25 May 2007 0 4179 25 May 2007