Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

island vacation &monsoon ???

Posted by idit on 30/6/2013 at 01:06

hello!!
we will be returning from 20 days in Laos &Cambodia on the beg of September & still have about 2+ that we will want to spend on the beaches.. we are with 3 kids (4;7,11) and i wander where is a good chois considering its monsoon time.. we thoght about kochang since we come from Laos but i understand it gets lots and lots of rain and though Samoi is suppused to be the driest I wish for somthing more calm..

tks idit..

#1 idit has been a member since 29/6/2013. Posts: 13

Posted by Captain_Bob on 30/6/2013 at 03:37

"still have about 2+" ???
2 days? weeks?
If only 2 days go to Ko Samet which is typically drier than most islands, has relatively calm beaches and is close to Bangkok, assuming you fly out of BKK at the end.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,871

Posted by SBE on 30/6/2013 at 04:03

we thoght about kochang since we come from Laos

I strongly recommend you look at a map before you set off. Ko Chang is nowhere near Laos. It's near Trat which is near the Cambodian border.

Have you thought about how long it takes to get between different places when planning this trip? If you've only got 2 days between leaving Laos and getting on a flight home, you won't have enough time to go to an island. It would take the best part of a day just to get there, even if you fly most of the way.

If you've got 2 weeks for beach time, then Ko Samui, Ko Tao, Ko Phangan or Ko Samet should be OK weatherwise.

#3 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,002
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 30/6/2013 at 04:31

Fair point SBE, I was thinking 2+ days on a beach NOT including travel time from Laos or Cambodia.

#4 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,871

Posted by Captain_Bob on 30/6/2013 at 05:47

Have just read on another post that OP has 2 weeks for southern Thailand. Therefore as above, Samui/Phangan/Tao best chance of sun in September. If you think Samui would be too crazy, Ko Phangan has some quieter beaches on the north half of the island away from the party scene. If you can afford a bit of luxury check out the Bay View Resort on Had Yao on the upper west coast. http://www.haadyao-bayviewresort.com The kids would probably love the big pool with view of the ocean (I did).

#5 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,871

Posted by idit on 30/6/2013 at 11:58

hi to you all I ment 2 weeks of course and actually even a bit more.. so.
thanks again and will be happy for your device...
Idit

#6 idit has been a member since 29/6/2013. Posts: 13

Posted by Tilapia on 30/6/2013 at 12:28

Hi idit,

Don't forget that unless you are flying back into Thailand, or unless you have a multiple-entry visa, you will only receive 15 days when you return.

#7 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,490
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by idit on 30/6/2013 at 14:26

hi you all thank you!

Had Yao seems great!
anyone knows how krabi is on September?

tks! idit

#8 idit has been a member since 29/6/2013. Posts: 13

Posted by Captain_Bob on 1/7/2013 at 13:26

September is usually one of the wettest months for the Krabi (west coast) area, but if you are lucky the sun comes out for a few hours. Best chance of sun is usually mid-day when it's hottest, then as the air cools moisture condenses and rains fall late afternoon or evening. No guarantees. Again, your best bet for September sun is the east coast.

#9 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,871

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.