Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand Zoo's

• shaungt08

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

I have been reading reviews for different zoo's in the Surat Thani province and I have seen various people claiming that after you visit the zoo you will feel sad for the animals as they don't seem very happy and their cages are far too small for them, is this true? I really want to visit a zoo and have my picture taken with one of the tigers

#1 Posted: 1/7/2013 - 14:31

• Advertisement

• CaptainScott

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2013

I've never been to a Thai zoo, but I have read some worrying reports about them. I guess standards vary greatly and your best bet would be to go to a sanctuary rescue centre that has consistant reports of good treatment. I'm guessing that any establishment that offers pictures with Tigers or invites people to get into an enclosure with them is seriously dodgy as the tigers are likely to be drugged to make them compliant and may well be trafficked/mistreated. I would urge you to not support this cruel practice.

#2 Posted: 1/7/2013 - 15:09

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

With a couple of notable exceptions (ie Singapore) zoos in Southeast Asia are mostly not kept to a standard you may be used to in the UK. This is particularly true with regard to the size of the cages the animals are often kept in.

If you're able to get close enough to a tiger to be photographed with it it may well have been drugged.

#3 Posted: 1/7/2013 - 18:48

• shaungt08

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

Thanks for the heads up, I will definately be staying away from the zoos as i dont want to support any animal being drugged

#4 Posted: 3/7/2013 - 14:53

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

The Tiger Kingdom near Chiang Mai is a good exception to the rule. Very well cared for, not drugged-down. It's a breeding program that happens to make good money and support the attached restaurant. I have land about 1km away and drop by often.

http://www.tigerkingdom.com/Drug/Don't_%20Need_%20Drug.pdf

Just make sure to go early morning when the animals are more active and avoid weekends and Thai holidays when it gets crowded.

#5 Posted: 4/7/2013 - 05:24

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

#6 Posted: 5/7/2013 - 07:07

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Some of the animals aren't treated great in some zoos but you also have to realize and remember that without the zoo that animal is likely dead anyways. Sure it would be nice if all the zoos took top notch care of their animals but that is hard to do when they only charge a couple dollars for admission to the zoo.

#7 Posted: 6/7/2013 - 22:12

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Safari World in Bangkok lets the lions and tigers roam around in paddocks. It's pretty good.

#8 Posted: 7/7/2013 - 06:50

• rahadalex

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2013

In Sukhumvit there exist Samut Prakatn Zoo. I visit last year there and found that the animals are treated very badly. Animals are put in the small cages. They look very unhealthy in the cages. I also watched a handicap Tiger there. It cannot walk properly. And there is nobody for its care. Elephant show is really sad. All the animals are dirty and smelling very bad. Elephants also looked so unhealthy. I found nothing to impress me at this Zoo. The zoo is very dirty. I spend 1 hr there but it was very bad experience in zoo.

#9 Posted: 11/7/2013 - 07:21

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

http://right-tourism.com/ - your guide to making animal friendly choices on holiday

#10 Posted: 13/7/2013 - 09:08

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.