Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

one month in sea, is my trip doable?

• annu75

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007
    Location United States

i am planning a trip to bangkok then up to the north, over to hanoi, hue, hoi an, phnom penh, siem reap, kl and then over to the southern peninsula of thailand in 4weeks. is that somehow realisticly doable or is it obviously too much?

#1 Posted: 10/7/2007 - 05:39

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Too much -- that's a week in each country. How are you planning on getting from northern Thailand to Hanoi? Likewise Hanoi to Phnom Penh is a good few days travel. In four weeks you could get three weeks in Thailand (covering north and south) and one week in Cambodia.

I'd suggest saving Vietnam for another trip.

#2 Posted: 10/7/2007 - 09:30

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Good advise^ Spend a little time in Thailand to make the most of it. Cambodia is a good side trip from Thailand tho :)

#3 Posted: 12/7/2007 - 22:14

• annu75

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007
    Location United States

and how about i just go and see bangkok for a couple of days fly to laos, see laos and then try to get over to vietnam, see hoi an, hue and hanoi, fly to cambodia see that country and go to southern thailand with one stop in kl for a night or so? is that still too much? sorry for annoying you guys...

#4 Posted: 12/7/2007 - 22:44

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Well it is doable, but extremely rushed. Essentially you're seeing Bangkok, Luang Prabang, Hanoi, Hue, Hoi An, Saigon (transit to) Phnom Penh (transit to) Siem Reap, KL and then somewhere in southern Thaialnd -- I assume Phuket or Samui as they both have airports... I'm dizzy just thinking about it!

But yes it is possible.

#5 Posted: 16/7/2007 - 09:29

• annu75

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007
    Location United States

you are right, i have to figure out something else. i just love bangkok, northern vietnam and angkor and i have never been to laos before...and unfortunately i only have 4weeks vacation...

#6 Posted: 16/7/2007 - 09:44

• Guernseystu

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007

You could spend the whole of those four weeks in Laos and still not see everything that you want to. Take it easy and break it up a bit, you want an excuse to come back to SEA time and again don't you?

#7 Posted: 24/7/2007 - 01:07

• annu75

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007
    Location United States

honestly i don't have much vacation, therefore i do not know when i will be able to return to sea again. so that's why i wanted to see as much as possible but also not do the crazy jetsetting vacation. few days here a few there...

i don't know, what are the best places in laos to see? i am honestly not that into trekking...more into some cultural sightseeing...? thank you for all your suggestions...

#8 Posted: 24/7/2007 - 07:34

• Guernseystu

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007

For culture in Laos the obvious choice is Luang Prabang which has so many beautiful temples and quaint French architecture. Expect to pay a little more for accommodation here but it is well worth it. There is a fantastic waterfall nearby - Kuang Xi? If memory serves - and of course caves on the riverbank.

My favourite spots are Champasak which is so quiet and peaceful and great to explore by bike. Don't overlook the Cham temple about 8kms away. Si Phan Don is also a very nice place to stay but it can get crowded so you may need to look a bit further down river for quiet accommodation. Muang Ngoy up North is also a great place to stay, I like quiet places by the river - no pubs, no karaoke, fewer trashy tourists - and these, for me, are the pick of the bunch.

#9 Posted: 24/7/2007 - 15:05

• Gorey

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3

if you do plan to fly to several cities during your trip, check to see if flights are actually availble the days you will want to travel, daily flights arnt always available espescially outside of thailand.
    i just finsihed 5 weeks in lao and thailand, and i hardly saw anything, took my two weeks just to do luang prabang - vientiane and that felt rushed.

#10 Posted: 25/7/2007 - 00:50

• Advertisement

• smartcookie

Joined Travelfish
    11th August, 2007

4 weeks is not bad. I'm going for 3 weeks (22 days after travel time from the US) and doing Bangkok-Phuket/Phi Phi - Koh Phangan - Angkor Wat - Hanoi - Hong Kong.

I think you can definitely do Bangkok (4 days) - Chiang Mai (3) - Angkor Wat (3) - Hanoi (5) - HoAn (3) - one part of Thai islands (8) (either east OR west) depending on what time of the year you're going. Plus add travel time. This wouldn't be too rushed. Probably just right.

Check out the 2-week itinerary on Vietnam/Cambodia on Frommers.com. I would do that and add the places I mentioned above. Also, check out Bangkok Airways Discovery Pass on their website. It's a good deal considering the places you're traveling, so you can fly some legs relatively cheap, especially internationally.

#11 Posted: 17/8/2007 - 12:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.