Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Chiang Mai

• L100

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2013

would love a recommendation for a good inexpensive massage in Central Chiang Mai. planning on heading to Laos, is anyone making a similar route who i can join to? Do you recommend going through pi. I'm into being in nature and getting to know locals and their culture...

#1 Posted: 3/7/2013 - 23:58

• Advertisement

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Best Thai massage I ever had was at the Women's Correctional Facility in Chiang Mai (it's a program that trains inmates as masseuses to give them a skill and source of employment upon release).

Fraid I can't advise you on the route into Laos.

Good luck and have fun!

#2 Posted: 4/7/2013 - 15:15

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

pi? Are you mathematics inclined? Or you mean PAI? There are NO more locals there-only BKk yuppies and self-appointed hi-so wannabe overcharging- so Ok if thats your aim of getting to know better. BTW-its quite the opposite way from CM toward any farang-friendly bordercrossing with Laos.CM is overburdened with at least 100+ massageshops-as its mostly the lady itself (over80% is female anyway) and they change shops very often, as do the shops themselves, any rec. is bound to be outdated once you get there.

#3 Posted: 5/7/2013 - 05:33

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

"Best Thai massage I ever had was at the Women's Correctional Facility in Chiang Mai"
    The Chiang Mai women's prison was torn down last year and is now relocated way out of town.

L100 - Pai is not so conveniently on the way to Laos. Aside from the Aya vans that do that Pai run to Chiang Khong overnight you'll probably need to come back to Chiang Mai first. Tourist minivan CM-Pai 180b and CM-ChiangKhong 400b or take public bus from Arcade station on the edge of town.

#4 Posted: 5/7/2013 - 12:19

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Oh, bummer! Sorry to hear that the correctional facility is gone. Hope they're still managing to run successful retraining programmes...

#5 Posted: 5/7/2013 - 14:54

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

CM has a 1000 massage shops. It's hit and miss. 2 people in the same shop can give different quality massages but they are all pretty cheap up in CM.

#6 Posted: 7/7/2013 - 08:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.