Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Chiang Mai

Posted by L100 on 3/7/2013 at 23:58

would love a recommendation for a good inexpensive massage in Central Chiang Mai. planning on heading to Laos, is anyone making a similar route who i can join to? Do you recommend going through pi. I'm into being in nature and getting to know locals and their culture...

#1 L100 has been a member since 12/5/2013. Posts: 13

Posted by antoniamitchell on 4/7/2013 at 15:15

Best Thai massage I ever had was at the Women's Correctional Facility in Chiang Mai (it's a program that trains inmates as masseuses to give them a skill and source of employment upon release).

Fraid I can't advise you on the route into Laos.

Good luck and have fun!

#2 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Location: Singapore. Posts: 476
 Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Posted by captainbkk on 5/7/2013 at 05:33

pi? Are you mathematics inclined? Or you mean PAI? There are NO more locals there-only BKk yuppies and self-appointed hi-so wannabe overcharging- so Ok if thats your aim of getting to know better. BTW-its quite the opposite way from CM toward any farang-friendly bordercrossing with Laos.CM is overburdened with at least 100+ massageshops-as its mostly the lady itself (over80% is female anyway) and they change shops very often, as do the shops themselves, any rec. is bound to be outdated once you get there.

#3 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Posted by Captain_Bob on 5/7/2013 at 12:19

"Best Thai massage I ever had was at the Women's Correctional Facility in Chiang Mai"
The Chiang Mai women's prison was torn down last year and is now relocated way out of town.

L100 - Pai is not so conveniently on the way to Laos. Aside from the Aya vans that do that Pai run to Chiang Khong overnight you'll probably need to come back to Chiang Mai first. Tourist minivan CM-Pai 180b and CM-ChiangKhong 400b or take public bus from Arcade station on the edge of town.

#4 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,871

Posted by antoniamitchell on 5/7/2013 at 14:54

Oh, bummer! Sorry to hear that the correctional facility is gone. Hope they're still managing to run successful retraining programmes...

#5 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Location: Singapore. Posts: 476
 Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 7/7/2013 at 08:15

CM has a 1000 massage shops. It's hit and miss. 2 people in the same shop can give different quality massages but they are all pretty cheap up in CM.

#6 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.