Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Getting from Kanchanaburi to Prachuap

• karibou

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2013

I'm hoping to travel from Kanchanaburi to Prachuap Khiri Khan in a single day without going through Bangkok. I was thinking of first getting to Nakhon Pathom somehow and from there taking a train the rest of the way. I've read, though, that trains on the southern line are notorious for lengthy delays. I'm concerned that this might make it a really exhausting day of travel. My preference is to go by train; second choice government bus.

Can anyone weigh in? Any realistic estimates of travel times? Is it possible to travel above third class on this train route? (Not interested in a night train, though.)

Btw, I'm a middle-aged woman traveling solo on my first trip to Thailand. Thanks for any input!

#1 Posted: 4/7/2013 - 19:24

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Easiest option would be to get a morning bus from Kanchanaburi to Ratchaburi (takes about two hours) which will plonk you on the main north-south railway from where you'll be able to get a train onwards south to Prachuap Khiri Khan - takes 2-4 hours depending on the train.

The 43 Special Express might work - timetable here or perhaps the rapid 171 - timetable here.

Hope that helps!

#2 Posted: 4/7/2013 - 20:57

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

yes-bus direct to ratch (ev 20/30 mins-local bus) is faster-cuts off a hook of triangle- but you may want to go via NP to see the giant chedee.Sp. Expr does NOT have 3d cl-only AC 2nd cl seats and also a whopping high supplmt-as its the same for 30 or 300 kms.
    Most comfy are the blue 1s cl. (known as govt bus by unknowing ignorant farang) buses to/fro Sai Thai-which sits so far west of BKk youll not see anything of that town.
    IF you can manage 3d cl for so long-well, that all depends on how lenient you are and how soft your ass is. In any case do NOT make the tipical seat61.om mistake by doing it all by train-thats a sure recipe for misery. The prob is that long-dist luxury buses in Th all run to/fro BKK without intermediate stops-you'll have to balance that against a series of uncomfy 3d cl. buses between next towns. And do check how far your acomm in PCK is away from the train stop

#3 Posted: 5/7/2013 - 05:29

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

If I wanted to do this in the opposite direction, I suppose I would still switch for the bus or train in Ratchaburi or Nakhon Pathom.... The thing is I wanted to make a stop at Amphawa Floating Market Train Market on the way...

#4 Posted: 7/11/2013 - 12:13

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

in that case-and again: its fairly duuuhhh to post quite another Q not apart- you must realise-again a thing thats in any guidebook:
    Ampw is only weekends AND its late day-other as most floatees-which means an overnite there is about unavoidable and no hard sweat anyway.
    I believe you strongly belong to the train-only sect: so thats a succession of local pickups=songhthaews from Ratchburi-open mouth, lookj puzzled and they'll point you out. The vans from PKK are much quicker and can set you off at a pont with just 1 transfer to ampw nearby on the main road.

#5 Posted: 8/11/2013 - 01:02

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

Yes I know Amphawa is weekend only & I planned to to stay overnight, I have no problem with taking the bus to Kanchanaburi from Ratchaburi - may spend the night there - I just wanted to know the easiest route?

#6 Posted: 8/11/2013 - 01:35

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

#7 Posted: 8/11/2013 - 08:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.