Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Scuba in Mid August - suggestions/ advice

Posted by coolscorpio84 on 7/7/2013 at 06:38

Hi

I am planning to visit Thailand in Mid-Aug 14 - 21, mainly for scuba diving.

From what I have read its better to go on the east (ko samui etc.) side rather than west (phuket)?

Is it true? Anyone else planning to travel during that period?

#1 coolscorpio84 has been a member since 7/7/2013. Posts: 4

Posted by stevenx on 14/7/2013 at 00:30

Yeah, that's correct. August is a great month for the Gulf islands. Base yourself on Koh Tao and dive with one of the shops that do regular trips to Sail Rock, Ang Thong Marine Park, and Chumphon Marine Park.

West Coast diving is amazing but not in August!

#2 stevenx has been a member since 16/6/2007. Posts: 11

Posted by coolscorpio84 on 15/7/2013 at 11:27

1 more thing- someone said its quite bad during that is that so.. or its worth taking the risk and I will get atleast 3-4 days of diving out of 9-10 days?

#3 coolscorpio84 has been a member since 7/7/2013. Posts: 4

Posted by SBE on 15/7/2013 at 11:39

Weather should be perfectly OK but it'll be very busy in August.... European holidays and not many other dry beach options in Thailand at that time of year. Like stevenx said, base yourself on Ko Tao rather than Ko Samui. Ko Tao is diveshop central and has tons of tourist facilities but the diving there isn't nearly as good as places like Bunaken, Raja Ampat or Komodo so don't set your expectations too high.

#4 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,002
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by coolscorpio84 on 15/7/2013 at 12:16

Well my diving has been only in Andamans (India - quite nice atleast for me) and Goa(I think quite bad).. so my expectataion are OK [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

I just want it to be a nice blue water with colorful life inside ;)

#5 coolscorpio84 has been a member since 7/7/2013. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.