Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Accommodation availability Christmas/New Year - Thailand

• foxiebex

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2013

Hi,

I was wondering what the accommodation availability is like over Christmas and New Year.
    We will be spending almost month from 12th December until 7th January. We are flying in and out of Bangkok where we will book something in advance. Other than that we were intending to be spontaneous. Our only major plan at the moment is to end up at Koh Lanta at some point.

It is my first time in Thailand but my bf spent a month there ten years ago, he thinks we will be fine but I'm a little concerned!
    We are on a fairly tight (but not too cheapo) budget, not too concerned about how basic the accommodation is but I don't want to end up sleeping on the beach!

Any advice would be most welcome :)

#1 Posted: 11/7/2013 - 06:29

• Advertisement

• jackblyths24

Joined Travelfish
    9th August, 2013

Hi,

I am heading the Thailand for xmas and Near years too, I have just booked up my Bangkok accomodation over xmas as this is filling up pretty fast. I was going to leave it longer but then I just started to browse for places and noticed room sfilling up already so I booked.

My advice is start getting an idea of where you want to stay and book as soon as you can, better to turn up with a bed to sleep in over xmas than spend it worrying about it!

Have a good one

#2 Posted: 9/8/2013 - 09:38

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Xmas day and NYE definately book ahead. Not much below 1000 baht on the islands that time of year though. Not sure what fairly tight means.

#3 Posted: 9/8/2013 - 12:58

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Ko Lanta is a good bet for Xmas/NYE as there will likely be somewhere to stay near a beach without pre-booking. You'll likely encounter touts on the ferry heading over there and it can be worth the free ride to check out any vacancies. By all means pre-book a place if you want to be certain, but keep in mind many cheapo bungalows don't advertise on the www or accept pre-bookings even during peak season, so there's always some walk-in availability on big semi-popular islands like Lanta. If you're heading to the top spots like Phi Phi, Railay, Ao Nang, etc. definitely book ahead for this period. And beware the "compulsory gala dinner" that some resorts charge big bucks for on the two big nights.

#4 Posted: 9/8/2013 - 23:36

• foxiebex

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2013

Thanks for all of your replies.
    We have booked 3 nights in Bangkok now at Rambuttri Village. We may book something else for New Year but as Captain Bob says I'm aware that there is a lot of accommodation that isn't bookable in advance so I'm still unsure as to what's for the best. We really don't want to be tied down to being in a certain place on a set date!

We were thinking of Lanta for Christmas anyway. Has anybody got any suggestions for the best area to stay in?

#5 Posted: 12/8/2013 - 09:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
thailand at christmas and new year ... By cirwin13 on 8 Oct 2010 0 1672 8 Oct 2010
Christmas and new year ... By jcane86 on 9 Sep 2006 1 2008 9 Sep 2006
Christmas/New Year ... By Glome on 8 Nov 2011 0 779 8 Nov 2011