Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Traveling from Pai to Ko Samui

• Bram89

Joined Travelfish
    21st May, 2013

Hi everyone,

I'm planning my holiday in Thailand, but I want some advise.
    What's the best way to travel from Pai to Ko Samui?

Better to fly from Pai to Chiang Mai? Or take a bus? Or go to another village?
    We don't want to spend too much time, so we can spend some more money.

Kind regards,

Bram

#1 Posted: 12/7/2013 - 05:15

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Is Pai airport operating? It's only a short drive. Bangkok Airways owns Samui Airport and they also fly CM to BKK. Otherwise Thai flies to Samui but I think their flights are very early morning so you wouldn't be able to connect same day.

#2 Posted: 12/7/2013 - 12:45

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi Bram,

If time is more important than money, I'd go overland Pai to Chiang Mai and then fly from there to Samui via Bangkok Airways. If you are willing to spend a little more time to save a little more money, you might look into flying from Chiang Mai to Surat Thani via a discount airline like Air Asia (most likely changing planes in Bangkok) and then catch the bus-ferry combo from the Surat Thani airport. The advantage of taking the ferry over to Samui is the boat trip takes you through some gorgeous scenery.

Please let us know what you decide, how much it cost, and how it worked out for you. Cheers.

#3 Posted: 12/7/2013 - 13:49

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Yes the ferry trips to islands are always very scenic and enjoyable. I've looked at Bangkok Air and their cheapest BKK-Samui flights are 3300 baht but go up to 5000 baht if you don't book early. Air Asia and Nok Air often have specials around the 1000-1200 baht mark.

Do check the airports in BKK though as there's 2 airports but if you stick to the same airlines then it's the same airport.

#4 Posted: 13/7/2013 - 00:45

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Kan Airlines http://www.kanairlines.com is the only flight option Pai-CM but sometimes delayed or cancelled in rainy season. More reliable just get a minivan from the AYA Tour office in the middle of town, takes 3 hours. Then there are direct Bangkok Airways flights CNX-USM. http://www.bangkokair.com

#5 Posted: 13/7/2013 - 03:30

• Bram89

Joined Travelfish
    21st May, 2013

Thanks for the feedback!

I've been searching on the internet and we decided to go over land from Pai to Chiang Mai. There we catch a plane to Bangkok and Surat Thani, than take the boot to Kho Phangan. We skip Ko Samui because it's too touristic and it doesn't have something special. So we want to party at Kho Phangan and than relax at Ko Tao! :)

To go back to Bangkok we take the ferry to Chumphon and there we'll take the train to Bangkok.

I'll keep you posted!

Bram

#6 Posted: 15/7/2013 - 02:23

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Pha Ngan and Tao are full of tourists as well. What special things are you looking for?

#7 Posted: 15/7/2013 - 07:56

• Bram89

Joined Travelfish
    21st May, 2013

Tourist are not a problem... I'm a tourist too haha!
    But I heard that Samui is a bit overcrowded, so we skip that island and directly go to Phangan.

We are not looking for a beach for our own, but don't want to be with 100000 people on 1 beach.
    And I like to do some snorkeling, so Tao is than great!

Any tips for these islands? Or for Pai?

#8 Posted: 16/7/2013 - 01:50

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Samui doesn't have 100,000 people on the beach, not even 1,000. The only time I've seen more than 1,000 people on the beach was at Pha ngan around the fmp crap.

Phan gan has crap snorkelling. Tao has some as does Phi Phi, Krabi islands and the Trang islands.

#9 Posted: 16/7/2013 - 10:25

• Bram89

Joined Travelfish
    21st May, 2013

Hi everyone,

We're back from an amazing trip to Thailand, really enjoined!

About travelling from Pai to Phangan:

We took a mini van from Pai to Chiang Mai and staid another night in CM.
    We flew really early (6 am) to Surrat Thani, took the bus/ferry combi (high speed catemaran) to Phangan.
    The only thing was that we had to wait a few hours in Surrat Thani. http://www.lomprayah.com/E/index.htm

Costs:

Mini van 100 bath
    Flight 125 euro (booked a few weeks before)
    Bus/Ferry 600 bath

Enjoy!

Bram

#10 Posted: 27/8/2013 - 05:32

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.