Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Buddhist holiday on July 23?

• gregmccann1

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2009
    Location Taiwan
    Total reviews: 5

I've been told that July 23rd is a Buddhist holiday in Thailand. This also happens to be the day that I arrive in Thailand for a short (6 day) trip. I can go a day without beer, no problem (sort of), but...the FIRST DAY? No beer on my arrival day? Haven't been to Thailand in a year and I am very happy to be coming back and I wanted to celebrate. And now I hear that the sale of alcohol will be banned on that day. Are there any places that will sell it anyway?

#1 Posted: 12/7/2013 - 12:23

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

There's always places that sell under the table.

#2 Posted: 12/7/2013 - 12:49

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

What about the duty-free on arrival shops? Can you buy a beer or three there and maybe a bag of ice when you arrive? As I remember, even when the 7-11's and bars aren't selling beer, often times sit-down restaurants are. Or as Leonard suggests.....

#3 Posted: 12/7/2013 - 13:52

• gregmccann1

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2009
    Location Taiwan

I thought that Duty Free only sold whiskey and vodka (which I'm not so fond of -I love beer). I almost never stop in to have a look around Duty Free shops, but I will do so this time. Thanks.

#4 Posted: 13/7/2013 - 03:29

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

The 23rd is Khao Phansa day, the start of Buddhist Lent and officially a no-booze day for locals, BUT anyone with the will and way gets hold of a few bottles. Bars are strictly prohibited from selling, but hotels are specifically exempt, so your lobby level fridge will likely supply. Or grab some at the airport on your way in and chill with ice at the hotel balcony. Shwing!

#5 Posted: 13/7/2013 - 03:41

• gregmccann1

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2009
    Location Taiwan

Thanks for the info Captain Bob. Feeling better about this now.

#6 Posted: 13/7/2013 - 09:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.