Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

How is Monsun in the Andaman-sea around july and August?

• catweazle

Joined Travelfish
    13th July, 2013

i travelled thailand before in aug and i know that the monsun is in bangkok about an hour rain (late afternoon, early evening) or so in aug, not really a problem.

people say, that in july/aug the monsum is lighter on the gulf/samui-side than on the andaman-sea/phuket side.

can anyone pass along his/her experience about the daily rain in july/aug in the phuket(andaman-sea area?

thanx in advance!

#1 Posted: 14/7/2013 - 05:45

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Monsun, monsum try again monsoon. It's fine most of the time.

#2 Posted: 14/7/2013 - 07:58

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Mixed bag of rain and sun. More reliable conditions in lower gulf/east side.
    http://phuket-weather.blogspot.com

#3 Posted: 15/7/2013 - 03:34

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I've travelled the Andaman a fair bit in wet season including July/August.
    Usual bag is a mix of sun and rain. Some days no rain, even no cloud. Never lost a full day to constant rain although I understand it can happen. But prolonged rainy spells are not too common. I've always had good wet season beach holidays in the Andaman.
    btw September and October are statistically wetter months in the Andaman.
    I reckon the biggest problem with wet season is that fresh westerlies can hit and blow sometimes for 2-4 days on end, making exposed beaches (west facing) unpleasant even on finer days. Can lead to dangerous surf. To that end I try to find the more sheltered east facing beaches in that season.
    Anyway overall I think it is no big deal - will be back in the Andaman in a week's time for another August-Sept visit.

As you say, the southern Gulf has a different real wet season: tends to kick in late Sept early Oct and stay often into early Jan. So if you want best chance of no problems beach conditions, Samui/Phangan/Tao is usually the go. To this end I'll be spending some time there this upcoming visit too.

#4 Posted: 15/7/2013 - 04:49

• catweazle

Joined Travelfish
    13th July, 2013

thx for the infos on the monsoon.
    i guess i can handle 1-3 hours rain a day...

#5 Posted: 17/7/2013 - 12:05

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Westerners seem to equate the word monsoon with rain 24 hours a day. It's a big scary word.

#6 Posted: 17/7/2013 - 21:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand/Laos 3rd July-6th August Full moon Party - 3rd July ... By lydmac on 30 Jan 2012 8 2106 13 Apr 2012
ANDAMAN COAST IN JULY ... By charlottem92 on 20 May 2014 3 875 8 Jul 2014
Beach In August: Andaman Coast vs. Gulf of Thailand ... By shaka317 on 4 May 2012 2 2467 10 May 2012