Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Tranport in Southern Thailand

• psychiq

Joined Travelfish
    11th July, 2007

I'm just wondering if the transport is quite accesible in Southern Thailand. In particularly, I want to fly into Phuket, travel to Khao Sok National Park for a couple days then travel onto Koh Phangan for the New Years Full moon party. Is this do-able? Would it be easier to fly into Bangkok instead?

The reason why I wanted to fly into Phuket is because I would like to spend some more time there after Koh Phangan.

If all of this is going to take too long, would maybe the best solution be to fly local from phuket into Koh Samui and back?

Thanks,
    Lauren

#1 Posted: 12/7/2007 - 11:04

• Advertisement

• cybervlad

Click here to learn more about cybervlad
    Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2007
    Location Thailand

You can travel by bus from Phuket to SuratTani then to Samui/Phangan (bus+boat) and vice-versa.

Alternatively, there is two direct flights between Phuket and Samui:
    http://www.sawadee.com/transfer/air-phuket.htm#bkkair

#2 Posted: 12/7/2007 - 11:34

• psychiq

Joined Travelfish
    11th July, 2007

What are the best bus and boat companies to book with? Website?

I usually wouldnt book it all in advance but seeing as its New Years I'm pretty sure that everything will get all booked up.

Are there no return flights Krabi to Samui? I've been looking everywhere for one and I cant find anything. I thought Bangkok air did but it seems they dont.

#3 Posted: 12/7/2007 - 12:23

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Hi, Personally I would fly to BKK and just make my own way to suratthani by train a couple of days before the full moon party to make sure i got a room coz they do get booked. Travelling around Thailand by bus, train or boat is easy.

As for flying to phuket, if you can get a flight there and you want to spend a couple of days there first go for it. Then you could get a flight to kho Samui and the ferry to Koh Pangang or get a bus to Suratthani and get the ferry across.

Lots of options. :)
    Good luck, have fun.

P.S If you want good acommadation on Kho Pangang check out 'Haad Yao bungalows'. They are the otherside of the island to the full moon party (thats a good thing imo) and offer a bus to the full moon party.

#4 Posted: 12/7/2007 - 22:10

• psychiq

Joined Travelfish
    11th July, 2007

Thanks for your advice its very helpful. I think I might fly into Phuket and do a couple days Khao Sok then head back to Phuket and fly to Samui and back. The price of a return ticket doesnt seem to be that much, and its quicker.

#5 Posted: 13/7/2007 - 08:05

• Guernseystu

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007

Bear in mind that there are regular mini buses that run between Khao Sok and Surat Thani - less than 100B for an hours journey. From Surat it's only another two hours to Samui.

#6 Posted: 24/7/2007 - 00:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.