Thailand forum

babies and thailand

• alisonmilli-
    ken

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2006
    Total reviews: 2

Hi there,
    We are going to get married in Thailand July 2008, at Khao Lak. (Can't wait, should be great). We have managed to finalise a very good resort. And we used to live in BKK so we are used to the weather and everything. But now I am pregnant (due in December) and we plan to take the baby with us when we go. The baby will be about 6mths by then. Any good suggestions for good places to visit after/before the wedding with a baby in tow? Orginally we were wanting to explore Myanmar again, but I don't think that is feasible now. I was thinking maybe Sukkothai, as we haven't been there before and like to see temples... but is it easy to get there are wander around with a baby? (We are thinking against taking a stroller as the pavements are too crazy) - insted put the bub in a baby backpack sounds easier...
    If anyone has done this and has any other good ideas please help!
    And pther suggestions for places to see and explore would be great too.
    ALISON

#1 Posted: 12/7/2007 - 14:29

• Advertisement

• alisonmilli-
    ken

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2006

So no one has any experience with Thailand and babies? And no ideas as to a small children friendly place to explore?
    ALISON

#2 Posted: 15/8/2007 - 16:54

• ChangFai

Click here to learn more about ChangFai
    Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2007
    Location Thailand

Alison
    Sorry , I have no experience when it comes to travelling with children , but I will say , the only practical way to see Sukothai is by bicycle as the ruins are spread over a couple of miles .

Only you know if you could cycle with a baby backpack on ?

#3 Posted: 15/8/2007 - 21:32

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007

Hi Alison,

Like ChangFai said, the best way to see Sukothai Historical Park is by bicycle. Alternatively, you can charter a tuk-tuk to bring the 3 of you to the major sites there-any guesthouse can arrange this for you. You can cover the whole place in one day, then return the second day to the sites that you love most, or you can go on to the Si Satchanalai-Chaliang Historical Park which is only 50 km away. Also, the entrance ticket that you pay at Sukothai Historical Park includes the admittance for the latter too. There shouldn't be any problem bringing your baby along. The place is beautiful.

#4 Posted: 15/8/2007 - 22:24

• alisonmilli-
    ken

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2006

Hey,
    thanks for your suggestions. I guess it sounds a bit like going to Ayuttaya... Also a great place to explore by bike, but we always hired a tuk tuk. That would be do able with a baby... it would be cool to see fabulous temples we haven't been to before!
    One more thing... we will probably be in Thaoland about 3 weeks. Some of the time will be taken up with wedding things in the South on the beach, but then what do you think is the best way to get from BKK to Sukkothai? Plane is probably the way to go, but how are the trains and how long does it take?
    Thanks ALISON

#5 Posted: 19/8/2007 - 15:13

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007

Hi Alison,

I have no idea about using the train or domestic planes in Thailand; the bus service is so far great for me.

The last time I went to Sukothai from Chiang Mai by bus. After my stay there, I went to Bangkok via Pitsanulok by buses too. The journey from Sukothai to Pitsanulok is about 1 to 1 1/2 hour, from Pitsanulok to BKK is about 5 hours. The bus station in BKK is the Northern Bus Terminal. I think there are direct buses going from that station in BKK to Sukothai too. Hope this info helps.

I haven't been to Ayuttaya. I plan to go there the next time I visit Thailand. Do you have any tips on the must-sees, budget guest houses, great food, or other nice stuff that I should know?

Thanks.

#6 Posted: 19/8/2007 - 20:18

• alisonmilli-
    ken

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2006

Hi,
    Thanks for the advice re Sukkothai. It sounds good. Let me know if you want info on Ayuttaya. We loved it and have been there many many times.

I think with a baby a long bus ride might be out of the question! But I am pretty sure flights there won't be too hard to organise.

Thaks for the info so far! ALISON

#7 Posted: 27/8/2007 - 18:53

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007

Hi Alison,

Thank you. I'd sure love to go to Ayuttaya one day, it may not be this year though, wonder if you'd still check this site out after sometime.

Are you still working in BKK? From your posts, it sounds like a lot of fun there. I guess you know other parts of Thailand very well too. May ask you for more info in the future. By the way, I love Chiang Mai and Mae Salong; what do you think about them?

KC

#8 Posted: 27/8/2007 - 21:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.