Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Chiang Mai tours

• Lazer

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2013

Hi people,

Anyone with any experience of the usual tours in Chiang Mai know whether its better book the tours when I get there or will I need to book in advance to ensure availability? I am only there for five days so if I book when I get there it wil be only 1-2 days notice. I want to do some kayaking, Doi Inthanon and the Flight of the Gibbon.

Cheers

#1 Posted: 16/7/2013 - 05:03

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

certainly my namesake in that old town will follow up.
    1.grow up-this is even more as LP/TT a site for independent and not overscary real travellers-they can do without organised tours.
    2.I really after 24+ yrs TH can understand why todays cyberyouth seems so overobsessed with ''fullness''. THis is Thailand-there is ALWAYS room for 1 more.
    3.even that cyberyouth would be able to fathom out that binding you now into an overpriced and uncertain tour will lead to disappointment. Just quell that fear-there really is not any need for it.
    BTW: Can you explain why all todays's youth seems so obsessed with reservations and bookings monthes advacne-when chances are higher that such tours will not set off due to insufficient demand?

#2 Posted: 16/7/2013 - 05:34

• Lazer

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2013

So the answer is no then, just book when I'm there? A simple reply would have done but thanks for taking the time to have a go at me.
    I've never been to Thailand as im sure you have guessed so just wanted some friendly advice that is all. Im bound by time constraints, ideally I would l love to spend a month in one place and do the sites at my leisure, but only have five days as discussed. Are you also suggesting a tour will be cheaper to book whilst im there? Thats good l, I was willing to spend a bit more to guarantee a place but if I can book the day before easily enough that I shall do.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 16/7/2013 - 06:49

• fondo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2006
    Total reviews: 19
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Or you could just go ahead and book.

#4 Posted: 16/7/2013 - 08:17

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

In most cases you don't need to pre-book any activities/tours, and you will more likely pay the best price when booking in person (and more likely buy from someone who knows the area). Kyaking, Doi Inthanon daytrip, Flight of the Gibbon, etc. no problem being fully booked - it never happens. There are a few exceptions, for example the Elephant Nature Park which is wildly popular and has limited capacity, and some treks and mountain bike trips only go on days they have enough customers.

#5 Posted: 16/7/2013 - 11:39

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Travel agents in tourist areas normally close at 10pm so you can book the night before. Easy peasy and if you book at least 2 tours you'll get a discount but you need to ask for one. Many hotels and guesthouses offer booking services as well.

#6 Posted: 16/7/2013 - 11:40

• Lazer

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2013

Thanks alot guys. Much obliged. I'll book those three when I get there then.

#7 Posted: 17/7/2013 - 03:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.