Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

CM to Krabi low cost

• lavalette

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2013

Hi all, are there any low cost airlines from Chiang Mai to Krabi (Jan'14)? i can't find any. found with bangkok air but that was nearly 5000bhat. if there's none, what is the best way to do it? thanks in advance

#1 Posted: 16/7/2013 - 06:15

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

It will cost you less than B2000 to get to Surat Thani by train if you take a 2nd. Class no a/c sleeper, but you'll have a long wait in Bangkok if you want to make a decent connection. Then you have to take a bus from Surat over to Krabi. It will take you the better part of 2 days.

Bus would be a lot faster and probably less expensive, but it will be a long time in a bus seat. You wouldn't have to go to Surat Thani, though.

If you can afford the flight, I'd take it and save yourself around 20 hours of travel time, or more. If you can't, then bus is probably your most time and cost effective. Train more comfortable, though.

Or break your trip up and see some places in between. Give your backside a break.

#2 Posted: 16/7/2013 - 09:53

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Dont waste 2 days on buses/trains/Awful trip.

Fly with Nok or Air Asia. I like Nok when they have specials as they include 15kgs and a small bite to eat.

But you'll have to catch 2 planes.

Should cost around 3000 baht.

#3 Posted: 16/7/2013 - 10:18

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

"are there any low cost airlines from Chiang Mai to Krabi"
    Not direct, but yes if you transit through Bangkok (DMK)
    http://www.airasia.com
    http://www.nokair.com

#4 Posted: 16/7/2013 - 12:13

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Air Asia does direct flights to Phuket for relatively cheap then could take bus/minibus to Krabi. Not worth bus/train all the way just to save a couple bucks.

#5 Posted: 18/7/2013 - 10:18

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Bus takes 3 hours plus waiting time and they go from the beaches. Not sure they go from the airport. Better off taking 2 planes.

#6 Posted: 18/7/2013 - 10:20

• lavalette

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2013

Thanks for your help guys, really appreciate. Another question pls. If I'm flying CM to BKK and then to Krabi on the same day, how much time must i allow when booking in advance(as most here recommend) in order not to lose the krabi flight? Thanks again

#7 Posted: 20/7/2013 - 13:34

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Make sure your flights into and out of BKK are out of the same airport. If they are then same as every where else pretty much and give yourself at least an hour in case of delays etc, 2 hours is even better. If booking 2 single flights with Air Asia know that they are not responsible if you miss your 2nd flight even if it is their fault, not sure about other Thai carriers. If flying into and out of different airports need at least another hour.

Leonard there are cheap local buses Phuket airport to Phuket town bus station if a person wanted to go that route. If short on time I would fly both otherwise why not fly to Phuket spend a night or two there then head over to Krabi.

#8 Posted: 20/7/2013 - 15:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.