Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

6 weeks enough in thailand?

Posted by miriam123 on 19/7/2013 at 12:04

Hi

I will be travelling with my boyfriend in SE Asia for 6 months from September 2013. I am wondering if my plan for thailand is realistic or not in 6 weeks. We will be coming from KL so getting the train to south thailand and boat from Saturn. The plan is, Boat from Saturn to Koh Lipe (4nights), then to Koh Lanta (4nights) then to Phi Phi (1 or 2 nights because i know its expensive). Then a few days in Khao Sok NP (3nights), then across to Samui (1week), Koh Phangan (3nights) and Koh Tao (1week). Then would like to go to bangkok for a few nights and kanachaburi for a few nights before chang mai then back to bangkok to fly home?

Thanks in advance.

#1 miriam123 has been a member since 19/7/2013. Posts: 28
 Where has miriam123 been? 

Posted by tezza on 20/7/2013 at 05:44

Sounds pretty good to me. You have ample time to experience all those places. I'd personally cut a few nights off Samui and Tao (unless you are doing a dive course) in order to fit in a bit more time at another destination.

#2 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,338
 Website 

Posted by tyler on 21/7/2013 at 01:04

Some people try to squeeze in 4 or more countries in 6 weeks! You have plenty of time...

#3 tyler has been a member since 7/12/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 257
 Where has tyler been? 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 21/7/2013 at 07:13

Low season boats aren't so frequent to Lipe and Lanta it's a mini bus job.

#4 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by miriam123 on 21/7/2013 at 11:47

Thanks for your replies. It will be December that we will be in Thailand. September is the start of the 6 month trip. Is December high season in Thailand? Does anyone know if boats between islands run in between christmas and newyear?

#5 miriam123 has been a member since 19/7/2013. Posts: 28
 Where has miriam123 been? 

Posted by SBE on 21/7/2013 at 12:29

September is low season and December is high season. Christmas and New Year is the busiest time of all so there will definitely be boats running. All the islands you mention except Samui, Ko Tao and Ko Phangan should have good weather in December. Those islands sometimes get cut off from the mainland for a few days because of storms and flooding.

#6 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,002
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 22/7/2013 at 08:52

It probably depends how much beach time you want also and how much of that you'll get in the other countries. Thai islands are cool but after a while it's a bit same same. But I would suggest you add on the Trang islands, maybe stay at Muk instead of worrying about the islands on the other side - Tao, KPN, Samui.

BTW Phi Phi is a touch expensive but many of the islands are in December as it's a busy time. I doubt Lipe would be any cheaper.

#7 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by greenman42 on 26/7/2013 at 16:59

Your plan is certainly doable. It's just that packing up and moving every three or four days gets very tiresome. Also keep in mind the travel times between destinations. For instance getting from the andaman's( Phi Phi, Phuket) to the gulf (Koh Samui, Phanghan, Tao) will take almost an entire day of checking out, taxi bus, ferry, another taxi car, finding accom. and checking in to the new place. Getting from the islands to Bangkok is the whole day and most of the night. By the time you get to where you want to go, all you'll want to do is eat something and sleep. In six weeks you could travel through Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam if that was your thing, but you could also spend six weeks on Samui without seeing all of it. My advice would be, don't book too much in advance, keep your planning rather flexible. When you find a place that you really enjoy, it will then be no problem to stay an extra day or two without worrying about losing out on a room you have already payed for elsewhere. I guarantee you will find several places that you wish you could spend more time in, you don't want your whole holiday to be spent sitting on buses and ferries. Enjoy.

#8 greenman42 has been a member since 18/9/2009. Posts: 63

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.