6 weeks enough in thailand?

• miriam123

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2013
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Hi

I will be travelling with my boyfriend in SE Asia for 6 months from September 2013. I am wondering if my plan for thailand is realistic or not in 6 weeks. We will be coming from KL so getting the train to south thailand and boat from Saturn. The plan is, Boat from Saturn to Koh Lipe (4nights), then to Koh Lanta (4nights) then to Phi Phi (1 or 2 nights because i know its expensive). Then a few days in Khao Sok NP (3nights), then across to Samui (1week), Koh Phangan (3nights) and Koh Tao (1week). Then would like to go to bangkok for a few nights and kanachaburi for a few nights before chang mai then back to bangkok to fly home?

Thanks in advance.

#1 Posted: 19/7/2013 - 12:04

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Sounds pretty good to me. You have ample time to experience all those places. I'd personally cut a few nights off Samui and Tao (unless you are doing a dive course) in order to fit in a bit more time at another destination.

#2 Posted: 20/7/2013 - 05:44

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Some people try to squeeze in 4 or more countries in 6 weeks! You have plenty of time...

#3 Posted: 21/7/2013 - 01:04

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Low season boats aren't so frequent to Lipe and Lanta it's a mini bus job.

#4 Posted: 21/7/2013 - 07:13

• miriam123

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2013
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Thanks for your replies. It will be December that we will be in Thailand. September is the start of the 6 month trip. Is December high season in Thailand? Does anyone know if boats between islands run in between christmas and newyear?

#5 Posted: 21/7/2013 - 11:47

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

September is low season and December is high season. Christmas and New Year is the busiest time of all so there will definitely be boats running. All the islands you mention except Samui, Ko Tao and Ko Phangan should have good weather in December. Those islands sometimes get cut off from the mainland for a few days because of storms and flooding.

#6 Posted: 21/7/2013 - 12:29

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

It probably depends how much beach time you want also and how much of that you'll get in the other countries. Thai islands are cool but after a while it's a bit same same. But I would suggest you add on the Trang islands, maybe stay at Muk instead of worrying about the islands on the other side - Tao, KPN, Samui.

BTW Phi Phi is a touch expensive but many of the islands are in December as it's a busy time. I doubt Lipe would be any cheaper.

#7 Posted: 22/7/2013 - 08:52

• greenman42

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2009

Your plan is certainly doable. It's just that packing up and moving every three or four days gets very tiresome. Also keep in mind the travel times between destinations. For instance getting from the andaman's( Phi Phi, Phuket) to the gulf (Koh Samui, Phanghan, Tao) will take almost an entire day of checking out, taxi bus, ferry, another taxi car, finding accom. and checking in to the new place. Getting from the islands to Bangkok is the whole day and most of the night. By the time you get to where you want to go, all you'll want to do is eat something and sleep. In six weeks you could travel through Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam if that was your thing, but you could also spend six weeks on Samui without seeing all of it. My advice would be, don't book too much in advance, keep your planning rather flexible. When you find a place that you really enjoy, it will then be no problem to stay an extra day or two without worrying about losing out on a room you have already payed for elsewhere. I guarantee you will find several places that you wish you could spend more time in, you don't want your whole holiday to be spent sitting on buses and ferries. Enjoy.

#8 Posted: 26/7/2013 - 16:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.