Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Oil spill hits Samet Islands Ao Phrao area?

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Does anyone have first-hand information on the oil spill washing up on Samet Island? The news report I saw said the oil was hitting the Ao Phrao area on the west coast. Is it impacting the popular beaches on the east coast as well? Either way, bummer.

#1 Posted: 29/7/2013 - 13:55

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I don't have first-hand experience, but according to an article just posted on the TF Facebook page:

"As of 8pm on Sunday, oil had covered up to 400 metres of the white sand beach at Phrao Bay on the west of Koh Samet.......[/fred]Wichit said he was still worried about the containment mission at Phrao beach because southeasterly winds could blow the crude oil surrounding Phrao Bay into the sea, making it difficult to control the spread to other areas."

Read full article here:
    http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Over-100-rai-of-coral-at-risk-30211442.html

#2 Posted: 29/7/2013 - 20:00

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Yet another reason not to visit that island.

#3 Posted: 29/7/2013 - 20:20

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I've always liked Samet. I first visited in 1992, when the place was sparsely developed and the beaches at the southern end of the island only had a small collection of huts between them. I haven't been back since 2006, but when I lived in Bangkok it was a great long weekend getaway. From the big city to a tropical beach in just a matter of hours. From others' recent reviews, it sounds like the mid-island east side beaches still make for a good visit.

Luckily it looks like the oil spill is currently confined to just the Ao Phrao beach on the west side of the island. Hopefully it will stay that way. I'd say that if you are on holiday, there are likely better islands to visit. But if you only have a few days in and around Bangkok, Samet is still a good choice.

#4 Posted: 29/7/2013 - 21:41

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

The footage I saw late last night on Thai news looked pretty awful. They said it was contained on Ao Phrao, but you know, they'll say whatever to keep tourists coming.

#5 Posted: 29/7/2013 - 21:50

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Richard Barrow just posted this satellite image of the spill.

"Looking at this satellite image taken this morning, it would seem that the oil spill has moved away from the mainland and has started to disperse to an extent.""
    Monday:
    31sat2.jpg

Wednesday:

31sat1.jpg

More here:
    http://www.richardbarrow.com/2013/07/satellite-image-of-oil-spill-in-rayong-on-wednesday-31-july/

#6 Posted: 30/7/2013 - 23:41

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

I wouldn't get your hopes up; this seems a serious environmental tragedy:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Oil-spill-recovery-will-be-tough-experts-30211538.html

#7 Posted: 31/7/2013 - 01:45

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"I wouldn't get your hopes up; this seems a serious environmental tragedy"

All oil spills seem that way at first. And all end up cleaned up at the end of the day. Eventually if all else fails, the sea will eat it. It eats oil, which is naturally occuring in the deep sea. So a "tragedy" depends on how you define that term, but it will be a temporary tragedy. At some point, it will clear up.

#8 Posted: 1/8/2013 - 06:44

• RiniRabbit

Joined Travelfish
    31st July, 2012

They are working hard on it. so anyone plans to visit koh Samet , It's better to change the plan to Koh Chang, Koh Kood, Koh Mak, or Hun Hin, which are not too close or far from Bangkok.

#9 Posted: 7/8/2013 - 05:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
The Atlantic Gallery - Koh Samet Oil Spill ... By Tilapia on 2 Aug 2013 1 1114 2 Aug 2013