Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Best buddy and I in thailand for a month

• Jralph

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2013

I would like to start off by letting anyone who wants to help me out know that im not a sex tourist so i dont care where the best whore houses are. I am 23 and am looking for an adventure and Im looking for advice on a good itinerary based on my time and money. Im looking to spend 2000 to 2500 (canadian) and im going for a month with my friend who is looking to spend 3000. Rowdy crowd or not it doesnt matter to me, a good time is a good time. I would also like to take a trip down that river in laos even though i here its not the same as it used to be it doesnt matter to me. Anyways i dont want to have my trip to planned out but i also welcome any advice on some things you might think of as must do's or must sees. Thanks!

#1 Posted: 30/7/2013 - 21:37

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

My idea of a 'good time' is likely to be very different from yours. Why don't you tell us about the sort of things that interest you (beaches, treks, history/religion/temples, shopping, food/culture, meeting locals, partying, buddhist retreats....?) It's hard to suggest an itinerary without knowing anything about you or your friend - although it looks like I can rule out Patpong Road.

Suggest you start browsing through the Thailand section and see what sparks your interest.

#2 Posted: 30/7/2013 - 23:36

• Jralph

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2013

Hey

Sorry about that I should have been more detailed. I am definitely more interested in things like treks, excursions and seeing as many beautiful beaches as possible. That is more important to me then drinking and partying. Although I I'm sure I will get my fill of that as well. I want to be in koh phangan for the full moon party and I want to know where and who offers the best booze cruise.. But like I said adventures are more important to me. As for my friend and I were both extremely laid back, played hockey all our lives, go out most weekends and get a long with just about everyone. This will be both of our first trips and I'm just using this to here some suggestions of places to go to that people like you have been to and consider to be a must see according to the info I have given.

#3 Posted: 31/7/2013 - 00:20

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Well you don't have enough money t act like a drunken sailor the whole time - booze and women are real budget eaters. If you're interested in chasing girls, go to Pattaya. For some reason that remains a mystery to me, that sort of thing is cheaper there.

For hiking and so forth, I'd say head up to Chiang Mai and then for a little laid back party seen shoot over to Pai.

It's a long way to get to Vang Vieng, Laos, no matter how you slice it or dice it. But you can work your way up there from Chiang Mai. I don't recommend it given your time and financial constraints, but you can fly or you could take a long torturous bus route that will take a couple of days to get your there. This creates a problem for you because you also want to go to the full moon party... They are in completely opposite directions. To not eat half your time on buses and trains and go to both of these places, you need to fly. And that will eat budget in a serious way. I recommend you drop Laos. The geograghy isn't working here.

#4 Posted: 31/7/2013 - 01:27

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

"Well you don't have enough money t act like a drunken sailor the whole time - booze and women are real budget eaters. If you're interested in chasing girls, go to Pattaya. For some reason that remains a mystery to me, that sort of thing is cheaper there."

Did you not believe him when he said he wasn't a sex tourist?

In terms of your available funds, 2,500 CAD equates to roughly 2,400 USD (at today's FX rates). That gives you 80 USD a day. If you're happy to eat street food, avoid crazy nights out and stay in mid-range accommodation then that is loads of cash (common consensus on here is that 50 USD a day is a good budget on average, although obviously there are regional variations).

How about the following:

Bangkok and surrounds - 1 week
    Chiang Mai and the North - 1 week
    Laos - 1 week (NB - do not try to cover too much here as it is notoriously slow going in this country)

Fly from Luang Prabang to Bangkok and then on to an island (or two)

Beach/islands/FMP - 10 days to finish

That's, broadly speaking, 4 areas in one month, which seems doable. If you can snare a few reasonably priced flights then I think your funds will stretch to it. Even allowing a budget of 60 USD a day, that leaves you with 600 - 700 USD to play with for flights. That should be loads to get you your 2/3 required flights.

#5 Posted: 31/7/2013 - 05:04

• Jralph

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2013

Hey thanks a lot chinarocks

I honestly think from what the two of u are saying I should drop Laos...I have read a lot about northern Thailand and it sounds amazing but I also think its a place I would probably enjoy more with a girl friend. Also I'm more of a beach person For sure and so is my friend so we would like to see as much of the south as possible. And another thing, I do like to drink as much as the next guy...I would like to be able to get drunk when I feel like it and party when I feel like it. Maybe 3 days a week. So staying south and doing a couple excursions a week and drinking a decent amount how much should I bring? Keep in mind I don't mind eating street food or staying in cheap guest houses.

#6 Posted: 31/7/2013 - 08:00

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

"I would like to start off by letting anyone who wants to help me out know that im not a sex tourist so i dont care where the best whore houses are.

Rowdy crowd or not it doesnt matter to me, a good time is a good time.

That is more important to me then drinking and partying. Although I I'm sure I will get my fill of that as well. I want to be in koh phangan for the full moon party and I want to know where and who offers the best booze cruise.."

You seem to be contradicting yourself and the FMP is the worst thing in Thailand.

#7 Posted: 31/7/2013 - 09:23

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Did you not believe him when he said he wasn't a sex tourist?"

I'm not a tourist at all - sex or otherwise - I live here. And I've only been to Pattaya twice, both for salsa dancing events (and the second time my family and mother were with me). But you'd have to be obtuse in the extreme not to know the deal there. These guys are young guys - you think they're coming here a month and are going to be celibate? Don't be a moron. I'm just telling them the way it is. They can do what they want with the info.

And Leonard of course, does have a point, in thart the FMP is obviously attractiving young, rowdy drunks - that's the point. FMP, Khao San Road, Pai - kids like these kind of places because they're kids and they want to have a good time doing what kids do - drinking and getting rowdy. As Billy Joel said "They might be laughing a bit too loud, but that never hurt no one".

#8 Posted: 31/7/2013 - 11:34

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

They want a sex free holiday it seems. Drinking isn't important but they want a booze cruise and the FMP. They might as well go to a pub back home, fail to get laid and save $3000.

#9 Posted: 31/7/2013 - 11:41

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

OK Leonard, let's not be too harsh. They want to be young guys and go have a good time in SEA. That's fine. Nothing wrong with that. Perhaps it was articulated in a slightly confusing manner, that's all.

#10 Posted: 31/7/2013 - 11:43

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Very strange to start a travel question with this
    " I would like to start off by letting anyone who wants to help me out know that im not a sex tourist"

Do they think 90% of tourists are some kind of sex tourists?

But then they mention sleazy booze cruises and the FMP. Pretty funny.

What happens at FMPs?

Drugs
    drink spiking
    rapes
    the odd murder
    robberies
    arrests
    road deaths

But at least they aren't sex tourists haha

#11 Posted: 31/7/2013 - 11:48

• Jralph

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2013

Hahaha well everywhere I try to research stuff about Thailand it's all bull **** about bar girls and whore houses...and I'm not contradicting myself I want to go on plenty of excursions and drink a bit. I can't do both? Can't yah just tell me some good things to go do in the south? Or some nice places to stay?

#12 Posted: 31/7/2013 - 16:48

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"everywhere I try to research stuff about Thailand it's all bull **** about bar girls and whore houses"

Where is this research?

"Can't yah just tell me some good things to go do in the south? Or some nice places to stay?"

There's a website called Travelfish which has a host of info you want. Oh wait you're on it. All you have to do is click on Places and read it. It's your holiday afterall.

#13 Posted: 31/7/2013 - 21:02

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hi ralph,

for down south, it depends quite a bit on what time of year you'll be travelling. it sounds like you are already familiar with koh phangan, koh samui, and koh tao on the gulf side. i think two other spots worth a look are trang and krabi across the peninsula on the andaman sea side. i like trang town itself quite a bit, and there are a few small islands just off the coast on the andaman side that have good variety. you can easily get to trang by train or even fly i think. another good choice on the andaman sea side is krabi. there are several beach areas to choose from, and krabi can be a hub for exploring the area such as phangaa bay as well. others will have equally good suggestions too i expect.

there is quite a bit of good information on the Travelfish website about those places, accommodation options, things to do, transportation, etc. when you get a moment, have a look at those sections on the website here and see what you think. cheers.

#14 Posted: 31/7/2013 - 21:58

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

I'm gonna venture a guess that Ao Nang in Krabi might be a good base for you. Plenty of bars and a lively atmosphere but it's not seedy like Pattaya. Ao Nang beach is just OK (by Thailand standards at least), but you can take trips from there to Railay, Phang Nga Bay, Ko Hong, Ko Gai and the other small islands in that area. You could even hit the Similans or take a few days to travel through Phuket from there. If you're looking to be active (non-boozy active) you can take kayak trips, go rock-climbing and check out inland stuff like the waterfalls and Tiger Cave Temple. If I were you I'd read the TF pages on Krabi town and Ao Nang. It's also super easy to get to/from Ko Pha Ngan from there, but Ao Nang is a little more expensive than some spots when it comes to food and accommodation. I also didn't see when you're traveling... If it's during monsoon season you may want to stick to the Gulf cost.

#15 Posted: 31/7/2013 - 23:15

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I was thinking Krabi myself. My wife likes it there a lot.

You can certainly go on excursions and drink a bit. Those things are not contradictory at all. I reccomend Khon Kaen - where my son goes to University. The reason is because it will let you socialize with University Students, many of whom have some command of English and will want to talk to you, and there will be very few other anglos about so you will be off the beaten path for sure. The University Quarter is full of Student bars and small places to eat that are cool and made for people your age. My son loves it there. He will miss Khon Kaen when he graduates in September - he's told me so. But it isn't where people normally go to kick it in Thailand. Also, for said, I recommend a decent pair of jeans and some associated footwear that's not grunge. The grunge look is not suave there.

This place is way out of the way, but it is a cool place and odds are you will be the only white guys there if you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3I5FJEtMeo

If you can find a way to rent a motorcycle and go here and That Phanom (one of the oldest and more interesting Temples in Thailand) I highly recommend it. There is no place to be steel horse cowboy like Thailand.

Most people who come here head for the more scenic North (Chiang Mai, Pai, Chiang Rai and so forth). That are is much more mountainous and has FAR more tourists. Issan has very few. An option if you really want to get off the beaten path.

The reason you see so much info on bars / bar girls is because it's so prevelent in Thailand. Pretty much everywhere. It's just not the discussed thing on Travelfish. It's an aspect of Thai culture that doesn't fit the hippy paradigm.

#16 Posted: 1/8/2013 - 00:38

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

"But you'd have to be obtuse in the extreme not to know the deal there. These guys are young guys - you think they're coming here a month and are going to be celibate? Don't be a moron. I'm just telling them the way it is. They can do what they want with the info."

Why do you always equate getting laid with visiting a whore house? Some people do actually have the capability of scoring without having to pay for it. We're on an anonymous, online forum. If the OP tells me he is not a sex tourist, then I believe him. I assume, given the anonymity, if he were a sex tourist that he would have no problem in stating that. And if he were he would certainly get plenty of good advice from you on such matters.

I find it strange that a perfectly reasonable post and request from the OP and your first couple of lines back are to do with whore houses. Surely you can do better than this even if your knowledge of SE Asia seems confined to Issan, the mantra of not travelling too fast and basically slating anybody who wants to come here and do a well trodden 3 or 4 week trip.

#17 Posted: 1/8/2013 - 03:29

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Why do you always equate getting laid with visiting a whore house? Some people do actually have the capability of scoring without having to pay for it."

In Thailand? With other tourists maybe. If you are here for a month, you are paying for it nine times out of ten. Thai women consider it a commodity. That's the way it is. Sure, they're young, and they might get it for free. But I wouldn't plan on it.

"We're on an anonymous, online forum. If the OP tells me he is not a sex tourist, then I believe him."

There is a difference between being a sex tourist and getting laid once in a while. If you are coming for only that purpose, then you are a sex tourist. If it's a one-off thing once in a while, then you aren't. The lines are not always clean.

"I find it strange that a perfectly reasonable post and request from the OP and your first couple of lines back are to do with whore houses. "

I didn't mention any whore houses. I mentioned some generalities.

"Surely you can do better than this even if your knowledge of SE Asia seems confined to Issan, the mantra of not travelling too fast and basically slating anybody who wants to come here and do a well trodden 3 or 4 week trip."

You did read the rest of my post right? Did you watch the video clip? I mean, you seem obsessed with the issue of sex whenever it comes up. Jesus. It's a core part of the culture here. On the rare occassion it comes up, you're all over it like a wet blanket. The kid can ignore it if it's not of value to him.

#18 Posted: 1/8/2013 - 04:48

• marialis

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2013

I spend my more then $5000 US last year and really enjoy full month September.... I never have words to say about the life in Thailand. Its wonderful

#19 Posted: 1/8/2013 - 05:00

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

"I mean, you seem obsessed with the issue of sex whenever it comes up. Jesus. It's a core part of the culture here. On the rare occassion it comes up, you're all over it like a wet blanket. The kid can ignore it if it's not of value to him."

What I am all over like a wet blanket is how you manage to work sex into the vast majority of your posts when there is seemingly no reference whatsoever to it in the OP. Me personally, I have never, and I state never, raised the issue of sex myself without a reference to it from someone else, usually you.

#20 Posted: 1/8/2013 - 05:00

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

OK, I'm a betting man.Would you like to take a bet on whether or not I mention sex in at least 50% of my posts. We can count the first 100? Want to take that bet? Vast majority? What percentage is vast majority? Go on, give me a percentage.

So you never mention it. You and most other posters here have an aversion to the subject. But sex for sale IS an organic part of this culture. Almost as much as the food and the temples. You don't have to like it. You don't have to talk about it. But it is reality. These are young guys who are coming here to party. They are not coming to chase hookers, but...

I knew a guy who had a friend who was coming here and he told him the deal. His friend said "I don't pay for sex. I've got game." On the airplane ride here (Thai Airways) he was hitting on the Stewardess. She slipped him her number and the next day she came to see him and ended up spending the night. In the morning, as she was getting ready to go, she said "That'll be 3,000 baht." He was flabbergasted. He didn't understand the rules, in spite of having been pre-briefed. He thought some hot girl was going to just want him for him. Yeah, right. This ain't western Europe or the US. It's a commodity. Young anglo guys sometimes do get it for free, especially in the context of a relationship (vice being a transient). But it's not the norm. As for the norm with backpacker women - I wouldn't know, now would I. Not my circle. I live with indigenous people. We don't have very many westerners here. I just see what's all around me. I'd be blind not to.

I am a little curious why you give a ****? What's it to you?

#21 Posted: 1/8/2013 - 06:36

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

I don't give a **** to be honest but I post on here quite a bit (although not as much as you) and I fail to see any reason why you would feel the need to mention sex in a thread like this. Me and a bunch of my friends have been through SE Asia and have avoided the pitfalls you mention while picking up some baht-free action along the way.

As regards the "what's it to you" question, well it's my business as much as yours to post opinions on here and my opinion is that you throw in random comments about the sex industry too much and not enough useful information about what the OPs actually want to hear about regarding itineraries, places of interest and the like.

I will not be commenting any further on your tirades, as, for a start, it is not very helpful to the OP.

#22 Posted: 1/8/2013 - 07:49

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

for what it is worth, i thought the OP got off to a rough start stating he wasn't a sex tourist. if the topic isn't relevant, as china says, then why would he mention it at all?

i also think that much of the difference of opinions here is explained by the different points of view between short-time visitors to Thailand and long-term expats.

#23 Posted: 1/8/2013 - 08:00

• Jralph

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2013

Hey thanks a lot everyone

I got a lot of good info from all of you! Accept for Leonard. Hope I don't have to meet anyone like him in my travels!

Have a good one guys

#24 Posted: 1/8/2013 - 08:05

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

have a great trip. be sure to check out the interactive travel map before you go. it will help you figure out what the weather is usually like in different areas of Thailand throughout the year. you'll find it at:

http://www.travelfish.org/weather_fish.php

#25 Posted: 1/8/2013 - 08:09

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Have a good one man. If you make it out to Mukdahan way by chance, look me up and I can show you and your friend around.

Leonard can come across as harsh, I know. But I suspect he'd be OK to have a beer with. He has some good insight a lot of the time. I don't know him personally, but I think deep down he's OK.

#26 Posted: 1/8/2013 - 10:18

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

And China - and be honest here - just out of curiousity when you "got some" for free was it tourist or indigenous?

#27 Posted: 1/8/2013 - 10:20

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

I'm happy to have a beer with any decent person but the KSR/FMP trash hmm.

#28 Posted: 1/8/2013 - 10:20

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"And China - and be honest here - just out of curiousity when you "got some" for free was it tourist or indigenous?"

You reckon he gets any? Sounds like he hasn't had any for a long time

#29 Posted: 1/8/2013 - 10:22

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Leonard, let's try and play nice. There are perfectly OK folks who go to Khao San Road and FMP. I just don't like those locations because it attracts too much riff raff. But that does not mean everyone who goes there is somehow deficient. Those places are a draw to kids because they have a certain reputation / name. In a certain way, for some people, they're just must experiences. My son has been a few times to Kaho San for cheap drinks. I don't get it, but hey, the younger set it appeals to. That's OK. Doesn't mean they're bad people. My son is a great kid.

#30 Posted: 1/8/2013 - 10:55

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"You reckon he gets any? Sounds like he hasn't had any for a long time."

I'm going to believe what he tells me. We may not always see the world the same way, but that doesn't mean he's dishonest.

#31 Posted: 1/8/2013 - 10:56

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Whole topic was strange from start to finish.

#32 Posted: 1/8/2013 - 11:15

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

They say a conversation that drifts is a healthy conversation.

#33 Posted: 1/8/2013 - 11:47

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Hey China are you still there? You didn't answer the question man. And it is relevent.

#34 Posted: 3/8/2013 - 00:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.