Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok - Cambodia - Bangkok Visa validity

• andiamo

Joined Travelfish
    20th July, 2013

Me and my spouse will be visiting Bangkok mid August and have planned to travel to Siem Reap from there.

Was worried about validity of our Thailand tourist visas once we exit the country. We need to take our flight back from Bangkok and are concerned if the Thailand tourist visa would allow us to re enter the country again.

We will be travelling by trains from Bangkok - Siem Reap - Bangkok and wonder if land border regulations would allow re entry into Bangkok. Advise please !

#1 Posted: 1/8/2013 - 07:08

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

If you don't have a visa, most nationalities receive 15 days visa free if arriving to Thailand by land, or 30 days if arriving by air. If you have a single entry Thai tourist visa, it will no longer be valid once you leave Thailand. If you have a double entry Thai tourist visa, you will be stamped back into Thailand for another 60 day stay.

#2 Posted: 1/8/2013 - 12:00

• andiamo

Joined Travelfish
    20th July, 2013

We do not hold a visa at this time and are planning to get one at the port of entry. So would you recommend getting a dual entry permit when we first land there.

I was hoping if there is a way we could use the standard single entry visa to atleast get to the Bangkok airport on our way back from Siem Reap and board the flight back home without going for dual entry if that's plausible.

#3 Posted: 1/8/2013 - 12:10

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Andiamo,

As mentioned above, you will receive 30 days on arrival when you land at the airport in Bangkok. You cannot get a dual entry visa on arrival, but you will not need to get one. You will have 30 days to get to Cambodia.

You will receive 15 days when you return to Thailand IF you return by land. If you fly from Siem Reap or Phnom Penh back to Bangkok, you will receive 30 days in Thailand when you land.

So you know, you cannot get to Siem Reap from Bangkok by train. You can get to the Cambodian border at Aranyaphrathet, but the train does not continue on the Cambodian side of the border. You will have to continue by bus or taxi or pick-up, etc.

#4 Posted: 1/8/2013 - 12:24

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

What you are getting on arrival at Bangkok airport is a visa exemption, not a visa, and it expires when you leave Thailand. But don't worry, you'll get another one when you re-enter Thailand. 30 days by air 15 days by land.

#5 Posted: 2/8/2013 - 04:22

• andiamo

Joined Travelfish
    20th July, 2013

Thanks guys for your inputs.

Based on what I hear, I get a visa free entry to Bangkok for 30 days when I land there. I am an Indian national and hope the exemption is valid to my country of origin. Also would I be charged for this ?

A week later after I head back from Siem Reap and reach Bangkok by land, I believe I will have to get a visa to get to the airport terminal. And believe will have to pay for this.

Correct me if I am wrong please.

#6 Posted: 2/8/2013 - 22:46

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Andiamo,

Coming from India does make a difference. You will be given only 15 days when you arrive at the airport in Bangkok. Free. No charge. Free. Free.

I suggest that you look at this ... http://india.siam-legal.com/

And when you return to Thailand from Cambodia you will be given 15-days. It does not matter if you fly or go overland ... you will be given 15 days and you will NOT be charged for it. You do NOT need to get a visa before returning to Thailand. You can just buy a ticket and go to the airport, or get on a bus and arrive at the Thai border.

Got it?

Why don't you enquire at one of the Thai Consulates in India just to make sure?

#7 Posted: 3/8/2013 - 12:03

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Visa on arrival 15 days (for Indian nationals) costs 1000 baht each time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Thailand#Visa_on_Arrival

#8 Posted: 3/8/2013 - 12:35

• andiamo

Joined Travelfish
    20th July, 2013

Thanks again for the advise. Will follow up with the Thai consulates as suggested.

#9 Posted: 3/8/2013 - 23:27

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

Indians mainly post on tripadvisor and virtualtourist. I really wonder why they are so awfully bad at posting FULL questions and telling all facts-and the eternal worries they all seem to have about where to buy the most giant flatscreen TV-set to bring home.

#10 Posted: 4/8/2013 - 05:26

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Loads of Indians visiting Bangkok nowadays.

#11 Posted: 4/8/2013 - 07:44

• andiamo

Joined Travelfish
    20th July, 2013

@Captainbkk, @LeonardCohe-n1

Don't really care where all this is coming from. Just feels unwarranted at this time.

If you really have a concern about the nature of posts on TripAdvisor / Virtualtourist by Indian tourists please go and have it sorted out there. I was under the belief that this forum was meant for providing information and advise on important travel queries and prefer to keep it clean that way.

#12 Posted: 4/8/2013 - 08:48

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

You asked about visas like it was a problem. If you don't want advice then don't ask.

#13 Posted: 4/8/2013 - 10:48

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

andiamo,

I think what Leonard meant was that there are quite a few Indian nationals visiting Thailand these days, and because of that, you shouldn't have any particularly difficulty with your visas. He just didn't phrase it quite as clearly as he could, and unfortunately, it followed captainbkk's comments, which put Leonard's comments in a light they didn't deserve and wasn't intended.

captainbkk, on the other hand, is a racist web-dwelling troll who should have been banned long ago for chronically abusive comments. Best to just ignore him and focus on the suggestions from DLuek, Tilapia, and Captain_Bob instead. Those folks know what they are talking about and offer consistently excellent advice.

Cheers.

#14 Posted: 4/8/2013 - 12:44

• kolanta

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2014

Hi, that was true at a period of time that Thailand grants VOA for India nationals. Unfortunatelly this is ever changing. Sometimes it does sometimes not, and sometimes visas on arrival are granted for India nationals residing abroad (in a country for which the policy is applied). Please check the procedure in this article, it describes the visa application process for thailand for Indian nationals residing in India.

#15 Posted: 19/7/2014 - 19:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Laos visa and passport validity ... By bakpakk on 17 Apr 2010 7 4661 7 Oct 2011
Getting a Cambodian visa with just 5 months passport validity ... By rosiec on 7 Mar 2008 3 3572 11 Mar 2008
Getting a Cambodian visa with just 5 months passport validity ... By rosiec on 7 Mar 2008 0 2865 7 Mar 2008
Cambodian Visa question re: 6 month validity on Passport requirement ... By bumblenut on 22 Jan 2007 0 3252 22 Jan 2007
bangkok-chiang mai-laos-cambodia-bangkok ... By halongbay07 on 14 Jul 2009 9 2780 19 Jul 2009