Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Itinerary help needed

• nivag7

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2007

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to be in Thailand in the next few weeks with a couple of friends and I need some advice on a few details.

How long would it be worth staying in Koh Phi Phi for in August? We were thinking of a week but will the weather be too severe to stay for that long?

Also, what is the best way of getting from Chiang Mai to Vang Vieng? Is the only way to get there through Luang Prabang or are there any direct options? We have approx. 2 weeks to take in Chiang Mai, Laos and finish with a day or two in Bangkok. Is this enough or are we going to be very rushed?

Bear in mind we are students so we might only be able to afford 1 internal flight if we're lucky!

Your help would be appreciated as we are heading next week and need to get a few things straighened before we go.

Thanks a lot!

#1 Posted: 18/7/2007 - 16:17

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

August in Phi Phi won't be great -- you'll have a fair amount of rain and the water may be a bit cloudy - not great for snorkelling/diving. The islands on the gulf coast (Ko Samui, Ko Pha Ngan and Ko Tao) are all better in August than Phi Phi.

Chiang Mai to Vang Vieng -- I assuem you're planning to fly, in which case you'll need to go through Luang Prabang. Overland from CM to Vang Vieng will take at least three to four days depending on if you go via Nong Khai and Vientiane or via Huay Xai and Luang Prabang.

More questions? ask away!

#2 Posted: 19/7/2007 - 17:41

• nivag7

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2007

Thanks Admin,

We have already pencilled in2 weeks on the Gulf Coast Islands so its good to hear you recommend them.

Thanks for the tips about Phi Phi. We might cut our trip there short and add a few days on to the CM/Laos part of journey.

Flights are really only a last resort if we're stuck for time so we'll head overland probably from Luang Prabang to the south and finish with a few final days in Bangkok.

Thanks again for your help and if I can think of any more questions I'll be sure to ask!

#3 Posted: 19/7/2007 - 18:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.