Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Getting to Ko Maak...?

• kyleshike

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2007

Hey I'm planning a trip for August leaving from Beijing, with a final destination of Ko Maak. I can't afford planes, So far I've have:

Train from Beijing-Hanoi
    Train from Hanoi-Saigon
    Busses from Saigon-Phnom Penh (walking across the border)

From there, I don't know what would be the a) cheapest, and b) most direct way from Phnom Penh to Ko Maak. I suppose I could go to Bangkok, as I'm sure it's worth seeing, but I've been looking on this site and also www.seat61.com, and neither have any details between Bangkok and Ko Maak. Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

-Kyle

#1 Posted: 19/7/2007 - 13:08

• Advertisement

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

You can take a comfortable bus from Bangkok to Trat/Trad in something like 4-5 hours. The Ko Maak page here on Travelfish has detailed info on (ferry) transportation from Trat to the island. If you have extra some time I'd suggest a night or two in Trat (the town) itself too. I've been there twice and love the laidback atmosphere.

Another option, if you don't mind skipping Bangkok, would be to head south from Phnom Penh and cross to Thailand in the south (Ko Kong). From that crossing it's only 1-2 hours to Trat by minibus.

#2 Posted: 19/7/2007 - 14:10

• kyleshike

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2007

Thanks for that.

I think I will opt for the southern route, through Ko Kong. I'm sure Bangkok is worth seeing, but I need a nice beach as soon as possible.

#3 Posted: 19/7/2007 - 18:33

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

kyle, stayed at koh mak march this year. great island to kick back on, if you decide to go to trat you can get a fast speedboat the koh mak express from laem nop or if you are on koh chang you can catch slow boat 2 hrs from bang bao, any other questions ask away.
    swag

#4 Posted: 20/7/2007 - 06:19

• Guernseystu

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007

Definitely do the Southern route through Sihanoukville and Koh Kong you would waste so much time by going to Bkk first.

#5 Posted: 24/7/2007 - 00:49

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yep, Trat is definitely worth a night or two. Superb night market with excellent seafood. Great, inexpensive guest houses.

Take the slow boat to Koh Mak. I think it leaves Laem Ngop at around 3:00 pm, and there is only one per day. It's a lovely, slow, relaxing trip that arrives 2 1/2 hours later, just as the sun is beginning to drop into the sea. You'll be on the beach for the last part of the sunset.

People will meet you at the pier. Maybe Lazy Days will bring their wooden car to pick you up.

Enjoy.

#6 Posted: 24/7/2007 - 02:05

• Guernseystu

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007

That wooden car is still running - I can't believe it! When I was there maybe four years ago Lazy Days was being 'run' by a bunch of English stoners with bad attitudes. It's a beautiful place with very cheap wigwam bungalows but I only slept there spending the rest of my time anywhere else. Bunch of arrogant idiots if I remember correctly.

There is a great little Ya Dong (herbal whisky) shack at the top of the road to Lazy Days that also does very tasty food

#7 Posted: 24/7/2007 - 15:12

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

S and D took over the place in the late '90's. When I first went there it was run by an Israeli guy who now has a house just up the beach. He sold it to them and ever since then it's been a touch-and-go operation until just a few years ago when S got his diver's instructors licence and expanded the business a bit. After that things seemed to settle for a few years, but I knew it would never last. It was really poorly run, very cliquey, and S and D personal issues (which included a steady consumption of Cambodian weed) kept getting in the way. Once when I went it was being run by their pal Phil who didn't know a thing about operating a place like that. S had bailed on D and was bouncing around SE Asia with a Thai woman while D was left with their son and then proceeded to have a breakdown and had to return to England. Phil was given the task of dealing with everything, including the Bangkok businessmen who were coming to the resort every other night to get horribly drunk and pressure D & S to sell. After that visit I started counting the days. The next couple of visits gave me more hope as S & D seemed to be getting their act together, but I found out in December when I was on Koh Wai that the place had been sold and was scheduled for re-development in the next year.

BUT, as you say, it's a gorgeous place in a great location. The first time I went it was one of three places on the island. The teepees are relatively new (from '99 ... we helped build one), but I much prefer the rickety old bungalows on the beach. It is definitely an old hold-out compared to most other operations in the country. Difficult to find places that haven't changed much since the 80's (and that's not always a good thing).

Cheerz
    T

p.s. That ya dong offers the potential of horrific hangovers!

#8 Posted: 24/7/2007 - 20:03

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

We've just updated our Ko Maak coverage -- lazy Days is indeed closed and is moving decidedly upmarket -- supposedly reopening sometime in 2008.

There's lot of other great value backpacker hideouts though....

#9 Posted: 30/7/2007 - 12:05

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Poor Koh Mak.

#10 Posted: 31/7/2007 - 02:27

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.