Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

6 months in south east asia. Budget question.

• moss_11

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2013

Hello all,

So I have just started a 2 year trip. 3 months in Europe, 6 months in SEA, 3 months in north america and 12 months in south america. I'm about 12 days into the Europe leg and have been in Malta and Sicily so far. I've been carefully tracking my day to day expenses. I'm a 25 year old canadian teacher/writer who will be spending roughly a month in each of, Thailand, Indonesia, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia. I've read a lot of different opinions on budgets. i'll definitely be staying in cheaper range guest houses (Not always the absolute cheapest but closer to that then the top level) I have no qualms eating street food for most meals with the occasional restaurant stop. I'm wondering what my budget should be about on a daily basis. I don't drink, do eat too much, and will definitely want to see some temples and pay for some wildlife experiences, as well as very occasional luxuries.

To give you an idea of my spending habits so far 12 days in malta and sicily I have averaged 53 USD a day, not including flights but including everything else. Am I therefore reasonable to expect to be able to experience South East Asia with an average daily budget of 40 USD a day? Any thoughts and comments are very much welcome. Thanks,

Luke

#1 Posted: 8/8/2013 - 15:38

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Yes, if you are happy to keep living like that. I would get bored doing that for 2 years but definately doable if you want too.

#2 Posted: 9/8/2013 - 12:56

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

$40/day is a decent medium budget for the SEA region. $10-15 for mid-range guesthouse room, plenty of street meals around $1-2 or sit-down restaurants $3-5. Scooter rentals around $5-7/day or take tuk tuks around town $2/ride or shared pickup taxis $1. Costs vary widely depending on location, e.g. southern beach hotspots like Patong/Phuket and Chaweng/Samui are expensive compared to northern Thailand. Stay slightly off the beaten path and save money.

#3 Posted: 9/8/2013 - 23:25

• moss_11

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2013

Thanks very much for the feedback guys. If I can keep to roughly that budget this two year adventure may turn into a three year one. :)

#4 Posted: 11/8/2013 - 07:35

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

You might even be able to do closer to $30 a day. On my trip I did $30 a day all except for a handful of nicer tours were extra(like a scuba diving trip).

Most places you can find housing for $5-10 and at most $15. A cheap day of food can be as low as $5 but on average probably closer to $10. Then you have your travel and sight seeing/tour expense. If you keep the travel to short distances or overnight sleepers(then don't need hotel) travel won't cost very much and will only be every few days.

I will say $30 a day is the cheapest I would aim for though. $40 will make things more comfortable as you can stay in hotels with air conditioning/hot water, eat better food, do more tours etc. If you are doing Sicily right now for $53 then $40 in SEA shouldn't be hard at all, probably feel like you are living it up in comparison.

#5 Posted: 11/8/2013 - 08:51

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

"$10-15 for mid-range guesthouse room"

That's low end. Not many $5 rooms around.

"plenty of street meals around $1-2 or sit-down restaurants $3-5. Scooter rentals around $5-7/day"

Depends where you go and what you eat. Lots of places will be charging more than that for both food and scooter rentals in certain areas.

"Stay slightly off the beaten path and save money."

Not always true. Prachuap is off the beaten path and it's really cheap for food but rooms are overpriced and so too are scooters. Ko Kood is off the beaten path and all their rooms and scooters are grossly overpriced.

Trang is off the beaten path and hotel rooms there are more expensive than Ao Nang, Krabi (on the beaten path).

North and NE are cheaper but you may want to see the beaches and islands which are a major highlight of the nation.

#6 Posted: 11/8/2013 - 23:37

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

$10-15 is for lower end bordering on mid range in some places. Rooms in this price range are available everywhere as long as you are willing to go without hot water or air conditioning or willing to sleep in dorm or share double room with stranger(did this a few times when I met someone else that is looking for a cheap room). On my 4 month trip I never spent more then $15 on a room. Aiming for $30 a day I realized quickly that $10 was the max I really wanted to spend on a room so that I had enough money for food, travel and sights. On average I spent probably $8-9 a night and my cheapest was a dorm for $3(although I saw a "dorm" for $1 but passed on it).

Overall Captain Bob's numbers are pretty much in line with what I saw. Like Leonard says you might find the odd place that is more expensive(usually islands) but if you look around and do your research there is often a cheap way to see a location, for example could rent a tent on Koh Kood for $7.

One other note about accommodation is that there are usually cheap options that you can't find/book online. Wikitravel will mention the odd good place as will this site (look up location and usually has a list of accommodation) but sometimes you just have to show up and check the outskirts of a town to find the really cheap places.

#7 Posted: 12/8/2013 - 01:11

• moss_11

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2013

Thank you again everyone for even more feedback. Sounds like 40 dollars is a reasonable goal. If I go a bit over up to 50 I'm not overly concerned, but it would be really neat to add a third year of traveling in Africa, which seems like it might actually be possible now. Thanks for the tips on how to find cheap accommodation and such. I'm sure I'll have some days when I splurge but I'm comfortable in fairly basic hostels. The water is not a major concern and I definitely wouldn't need air conditioning on a regular basis, though some sort of fan would be ideal.

I do have one more question now that I think of it. I am an aspiring novelist and write a lot on my laptop as I travel. In these budget guesthouses and hostel type places is it likely I will be able to find an outlet to charge my laptop which I write on, or is this likely to be a big problem as it is one thing I will need most nights? This may be a silly question but while I've travelled extensively in Europe I've never done the backpacker thing in poorer regions of the world. Thanks for any input.

Luke

#8 Posted: 12/8/2013 - 12:33

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

You should have a plug almost everywhere. On some smaller islands they won't have dedicated power though so may only have electricity during the evening(usually from sunset until 10-12 depending on location/business).

#9 Posted: 12/8/2013 - 19:33

• moss_11

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2013

Thank you very much, that's one of my worries gone.

#10 Posted: 13/8/2013 - 03:17

• Advertisement

• Limbonis

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2014

Im on my 111th day travelling sea, and interim soending is at $13 per day. You can do it too ;-)

http://www.limbonis.com/2014/05/my-limbonisasia-trip-365days-challenge.html?m=1

#11 Posted: 10/8/2014 - 14:15

• Thaethrad

Joined Travelfish
    8th August, 2014

I agree with all the posts..haha :D

#12 Posted: 10/8/2014 - 20:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
South East Asia for 4-5 months ... By brandonjames123 on 19 Jun 2013 4 1867 10 Jul 2013
3 months South-East Asia ... By pimvanhees on 27 Nov 2011 2 2720 28 Nov 2011
6 months in south east asia ... By walshie89 on 6 Sep 2010 5 7930 17 May 2011
5 months in south east asia, what to do first????? ... By eoinfitz on 27 Jun 2006 1 3825 27 Jun 2006
12 months in South East Asia ... By amieekb on 9 Sep 2013 8 1490 10 Sep 2013
Daily Budget in South East Asia ... By katieflorence on 23 Oct 2009 3 7539 27 Oct 2009
Budget for India and South East Asia ... By michaelharwood on 20 Jan 2011 9 9848 26 Nov 2012
7 Months in South East Asia itinerairy help ... By keentraveller12 on 9 Aug 2013 4 1363 9 Aug 2013
is 6 months in south east asia too long?? ... By g_singh on 3 Jul 2007 17 6335 27 Aug 2007
3 Months South East Asia. ADVICE PLEASE :) ... By STEEBEE84 on 1 Aug 2014 12 655 13 Aug 2014