Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi all,

Am just kicking off my Southern Thai mainland trip which has me covering stuff for the four weeks. If anyone has any suggestions on destinations, places to stay etc they'd like to see considered for review, please let me know. I'll be doing as much as possible by train and plan to cover from Ratchaburi right down to Narathiwat though will be skipping the Andaman Coast spots.

Very very much looking forward to getting back to Bang Saphan :-)

Cheers

#1 Posted: 12/8/2013 - 19:49

• Advertisement

• karibou

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2013

How about TCDF Eco-Logic in the hills outside Ranong? Terrible name for a guesthouse, I know. And I haven't been there yet myself, though I plan to go next year. But the reviews on Tripadvisor are fabulous and the website looks great. Plus it's rather unique and all for a good cause.

#2 Posted: 12/8/2013 - 20:43

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

An update on Khao Luang National Park and Khanom beaches would be good.

#3 Posted: 12/8/2013 - 20:54

• fondo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2006
    Total reviews: 19
    Places visited:
    At least 98

No real suggestions for you somtam2000, but have a great time.

The central coast is one of my all-time favourite trips in LOS - PKK, Ban Krut, Bang Saphan and beaches down to Chumphon.

Although another visit always comes under serious consideration when I'm in planning mode I haven't been since '09, so feel free to fill me in!

A report on how the restaurant at the Suanluang resort in Bang Saphan is travelling would be well received.

http://bangsaphanguide.com/

http://www.bankrutinfo.com/

#4 Posted: 12/8/2013 - 21:28

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@karibou - unfortunately not hitting west coast this trip, but noted the place tks.
    @leonard Yup both are on my hitlist
    @fondo we're definitely on the same page when it comes to what is worth seeing in Thailand as will be spending time in all those.

On the train to Ratchaburi now - brilliant blue skies & scenery rushing past - I love train travel.

Cheers

#5 Posted: 12/8/2013 - 22:49

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Koh Thalu would be good too as there's not much about it on the net.

#6 Posted: 13/8/2013 - 08:39

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Great night market on the riverfront in Ratchaburi. Definitely check it out. I stayed at Numsin Hotel. Great spot. Lovely owners. Not very good wi-fi when I was there, though. Ratchaburi is a nice, tidy town.

South of Hua Hin, right on the beach, Wat Khao Takiab has a nice standing Buddha, lots of monkeys, and is a nice spot for a few quiet moments looking out over the Gulf. I lived in Ban Khao Takiab for 5 months in 1999 and haven't been back since 2000. The beach south of the temple was completely deserted but, looking at Google Maps, appears to be very developed now. There were no resorts in the area at that time. The cool little fishing port is still there. Might be worth a look. Maybe there are some budget-friendly options in the village as it would be a great alternative to Hua Hin. Ban Khao Takiab was a really nice quiet little spot. Lots of phosphorescence in the seawater, as well.

#7 Posted: 13/8/2013 - 11:33

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

prachup kiri kan is nioce and not touristy and I prefer it to Hua Hin
    Petchaburi worth a visit
    ranong
    Krabi
    Trang
    You could head to Satun and then to Had Yai or go to Phatalung then Sogkla and direct from there to Narathiwat

personally I like Narathiwat a lot and have spent many months there over the years including during the troubles

There is so much to see and do just depends on what floats your boat

#8 Posted: 4/9/2013 - 06:34

• gregmccann1

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2009
    Location Taiwan
    Total reviews: 5

Spend a couple of days in Ban Khiriwong village in the foothills of Khao Luang. I forget the name of the resort right on the river, but the wooden bungalows were 400 baht a night and the food they served in that restaurant attached to the bungalows was simply out of this world. From Khiriwong do a day trek into the mixed orchard plantations in the foothills of the park, where you can also visit some very pretty waterfalls and go for a swim. A local guide named Kong took me and 2 other tourists up there. His # is: 084-4401370. There is another guide down there by the name of Bern: 080-1505389. The waterfall in the main tourist are of the national park is wonderful as well. Try to motivate yourself to trek to the top of Khao Luang. I'm pretty sure it's 2 nights. Kong can guide you. I'm sorry to say that I was too hungover the following morning to follow through with it.

#9 Posted: 4/9/2013 - 16:22

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

That's great info Greg -- thanks.

Unfortunately it's taken my a lot longer to move south than I thought -- I'm only in Chumphon at the moment and really only have five full days left, so Khao Luang is going to have to wait for another trip!

Cheers

#10 Posted: 4/9/2013 - 19:26

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Sounds good Greg. Do you have any photos of the region by any chance?

#11 Posted: 4/9/2013 - 21:31

• gregmccann1

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2009
    Location Taiwan

I'll dig up either a FB link or my old blog later and post them.

#12 Posted: 5/9/2013 - 20:37

• gregmccann1

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2009
    Location Taiwan

There are some photos from Bangkok mixed into this album, but the rest are from Nakhom Si Thammarat, Ban Khiriwong, and Khao Luang NP

#13 Posted: 6/9/2013 - 09:21

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

thanks

#14 Posted: 6/9/2013 - 12:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.