Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

HELP...Thailand itinerary with young kids

• Dorothy

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2013

Hi, I'm a first timer to Thailand planning to spend a month there this November with my husband and 2 kids (4 & 2). I'd be really grateful of any itinerary advice, tips on what to see, where to stay, places to eat and how to get about.
    We'll be flying into Bangkok from the UK and then hoping to get a no frills flight to Australia from Thailand. We'd like to spend some time in Bangkok when we first arrive. Then we'd like to spend some time in the mountains/jungle. With such young kids we wont be up for any major trekking though! So looking for somewhere suitable for young kids. Possibly some time at an animal sanctuary? Finally we'd like to spend some time on an Island, I hear the Andaman Islands better at this time of year? Looking for somewhere quiet, family friendly, great beach, not tooo hard to get to but away from mass tourism if possible? We're not list tickers and would rather spend time getting to know a few places, rather than rush around trying to see everything.

Thanks for reading and I'd really appreciate any advice planning our trip of a lifetime!

#1 Posted: 13/8/2013 - 17:23

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Safari World in Bangkok will be good for the kids. You can book a tour thru the hotel or travel agent over there.
    Fly to Krabi and stay at Railay or Phi Phi at a good resort would be suitable for the beach time. Forget the mountains with young kids.

#2 Posted: 13/8/2013 - 18:30

• Joelle

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2013
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 13

Hi there,

I did northern Thailand with my kids aged 2 & 4 back then (and me being 7 months pregnant). Chiang Mai would be a good place for you. City + surroundings are nice. For kids, there is a large zoo which is quite good (if you like zoos). From there, you could go into the mountains/jungle. We did Bangkok-Chang Mai with the night train. Perfectly fine and a fun experience for the kids. We rented a 4x4 in Chiangmai to do a 2weeks tour in the north known as the Mae Hong Son loop. Very nice, although I wouldn't recommend it if you plan to travel with public transportation. In rainy season roads are in bad condition (+ with a car you're flexible to stop when the kids are too bored).

Elephant ride is probably a must with young kids. Choose the camp carefully - sometimes animals are mishandled. We did one in the Elephant conservation Center in Lamphang (some 40 km south of Chiangmai), it was good.

Another place I could recommend - Kanchanaburi area. I just a glimpse of it in the last 2 days with my kids now aged 20 months, 4 and 6 years. I am planning to write a detailed review - if you're patient enough to wait a couple of days you can check my blog www.howtotraveltheworldwithchildren.blogspot.com

I wish you a great trip - feel free to ask if you have questions!

#3 Posted: 16/8/2013 - 11:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Advise needed on our itinerary thru Tailand with young kids ... By 28roses on 18 Jan 2011 3 3510 11 Feb 2011
Itinerary advice needed for a 1 week visit to Laos with 2 young kids ... By skwan00 on 16 Jul 2013 5 1138 20 Jul 2013
Itinerary & Young Teens ... By mandanickel on 19 Jul 2013 7 1011 21 Jul 2013