Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Sukhothai Historical Site Opening Hours

• cubanmeow

Joined Travelfish
    13th March, 2007

The museum opening hours are 9am - 4pm. What about the park itself? Is it an open area or gated area?

#1 Posted: 20/7/2007 - 11:20

• Advertisement

• ChangFai

Click here to learn more about ChangFai
    Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2007
    Location Thailand

Cubanmeow
    My ticket from earlier in the year says 6am-6pm .

But I am sure it as well past 6pm when I left , as I managed to snap some stunning sunset pictures .

We stayed in Phitsanulok and travelled through by bus arriving around 10am . Hired a bicycle at the entrance , and cycled around slowly all day .

After the sun went down , we took our bikes back , and there was several mini-buses awaiting passengers at the entrance . One took us back to Phitsanulok for a 100 baht a head .

Hope this helps
    ChangFai

#2 Posted: 20/7/2007 - 13:30

• cubanmeow

Joined Travelfish
    13th March, 2007

Hi Chang fai

Thanks for the info. Is there much to do in Phitsanulok? I'm staying in Sukhothai for the night but my train leaves for bangkok at 12 midnight. Wondering if it's worth spending the day in phitsanulok or simply leave sukhothai after dinner.

Also do you or does anyone know if sukhothai (new) city is interesting? i mean is it a pleasant walking town?

Thanks.

#3 Posted: 21/7/2007 - 19:13

• ChangFai

Click here to learn more about ChangFai
    Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2007
    Location Thailand

Cubanmeow
    Cant answer your question on New Sukothai .

On Phitsanulok , I like the place as a base for the surrounding area , but there is not much to do in the town itself daytime . There is quite a famous temple in Wat Phra Sii , which is nice and would use up a couple of hours .

I really like Phitsanulok as its got a lovely night market along the riverside , with some great restaurants .

#4 Posted: 21/7/2007 - 22:57

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Hi Cubanmeow,

Unless you plan to take a taxi or hire a car, you will have to leave Sukhothai sometime around 5:00-6:00 pm. That is when the last bus leaves for the city. When I was there in January we did the same thing ... caught the midnight train back to Bangkok after staying in Sukhothai for a few days.

When we came into Phitsanulok we hopped off the bus when it crossed the Nan River so that we could go into Wat Phra Si Mahathat (as mentioned by Chiang Fai). It was very simple (Just say, "Long tee nee"). Spent about 1 hour at the temple. Then we walked north along the river to the night market. There is a lot happening on the river at night. Plenty of action (again, as mentioned above). We found a place to eat, had a couple of beers, then walked to the train station. There is a night market right beside the train station, too, that is fun for taking photos. Before we knew it, it was 11:30!!!

The park does close at 6:00, but there is one gate that remains open. This is fine if you're walking or on a bicycle because you can hop the gates. But, if you're on a motorbike, make sure you know how to find your way out before the sun goes down because there is not much in the way of illumination at night. It took us a long time to find our way out (and I speak Thai!).

#5 Posted: 24/7/2007 - 02:21

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Sorry ... I meant to say that you have to walk SOUTH along the river to the night market. Got my directions messed up.

#6 Posted: 24/7/2007 - 02:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.