Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand in Novemeber ?

• JinkStudio

Joined Travelfish
    24th August, 2013

Hi All,

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip around SEA for 5/6 months starting in November. Initially we thought we would start in Thailand,but after having done some research on the weather in Thailand at that time it seems that it might not be the best time to go? We are open to experience all the different things Thailand has to offer (not the seedy) but we would really like to spend a good week or two in a place that is islandy and with nice beaches etc but not too touristy either. Are we looking for something that isn't there at that time of month? Would we be better starting in Cambodia or somewhere else then return to Thailand in December? A lot of factors to take in but I hope someone can help. Thanks

#1 Posted: 25/8/2013 - 09:33

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

November is a good time to start in Thailand, with the rainy season mostly over in most of the country. The rainiest part then tends to be the lower Gulf of Thailand (Samui, etc.) Up north is usually dry by then and getting refreshingly cooler, and the west coast is usually drying out. Of course being the tropics it could still rain on any given day, so just don't worry about it. The same pretty much applies to all of SE Asia. By the time you get to March and April you'll probably be craving some rain.

#2 Posted: 25/8/2013 - 10:01

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Xmas time is very busy at the Thai beaches. Nov is much better. I'd do Krabi/Trang in Nov - they fit your criteria.

#3 Posted: 25/8/2013 - 18:09

• JinkStudio

Joined Travelfish
    24th August, 2013

Thanks guys really appreciate the advice.
    Does anyone have any suggestions for a good place to spend Christmas outside of Thailand, say Cambodia ? Or anywhere else? Again nice beaches would be great with the option to head off in land too would awesome. Would like it to feel as less like Christmas as possible. Thanks again

#4 Posted: 30/8/2013 - 11:02

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Not a lot of Christians in that part of the world so Xmas is hardly noticeable. Go wherever you want but I like Ubon as an off the beaten path place. Not many westerners go there but it's a real nice province in eastern Thailand. Khong Chiam is a really cool village there on 2 rivers. Ubon has an airport so easy to get to. After that hire a car.

#5 Posted: 30/8/2013 - 11:27

• christof

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

If you are interested in visiting some great less touristic beaches on the Andaman side then the Surin Islands, Koh Phra Thong and Koh Ra are interesting places to stay. A good time is early to mid December as this is when the weather is normally very good and the limited tourist infrastructure can deal with the low volume of tourists visiting the area. At Christmas all the accommodation gets booked up well in advance.

#6 Posted: 12/9/2013 - 22:36

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I plan on heading to Thailand in Dec. Will most likely try and get a place for a month on Koh Lanta. Mostly everybody and their cousin tend to go the touristy hot stops at this time, like Ko Phangan & Phuket - best avoided in my opinion.

#7 Posted: 17/9/2013 - 19:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.