Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Andaman Islands

• adammont

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2011

Hi...

Me and my Girlfriend will be flying from Chiang Mai to Phuket after new years eve...

We will spend a few days here visiting a friend we met on a previous trip who now owns a guest house... probably do a day trip to phang na bay etc.

I am aware that Phuket will be a bit crazy at this time of the year so I have looked at heading to other islands in the area or perhaps Krabi for a few days. Islands that have interested me are Ko Lipe, Koh Chang Noi and Railay Bay in Krabi.

I am just wondering if anyone could reccomend any other islands? We prefer lower key islands but still with some nightlife/beach bars, for example on the islands in the Gulf, we prefered Koh Tao rather than Koh Samui... Koh Phangan was actually very nice aswell when the full moon party wasnt on.

We will have approx 12 days in the andaman coast

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Adam

#1 Posted: 28/8/2013 - 05:30

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Railay isn't an island. It's a bay near Ao Nang, Krabi. You might like Lanta. Nice enough beaches and some beach bars. Low key nightlife. Google Kantiang Bay or see on this site

#2 Posted: 28/8/2013 - 09:28

• adammont

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2011

Thanks for the reply,

realise Railay isnt an island, apologies but it still looks nice.

I like the look of Koh Lanta! seems perfect! and easy access to other areas! Thanks Again!

Adam

#3 Posted: 29/8/2013 - 09:38

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Easy to visit both Railay and Lanta in your timeframe. You can ferry from Phuket to Lanta and Krabi easy enough. Phi Phi has good snorkelling but the island is very busy and touristy. 4 nights Railay and 4 nights Lanta would be ok. Can do tours from both.

#4 Posted: 29/8/2013 - 09:56

• adammont

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2011

Thanks Leonard, I think we will do somethin along those lines! Thanks for the reply! :)

Adam

#5 Posted: 2/9/2013 - 03:22

• christof

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Low key Andaman Coats islands during peak season are hard to find. Try Koh Phayam, Koh Chang, Koh Phra Thong , Koh Kho Khao.

Railay will be heaving though Lanta is large enough to have some calmer places.

#6 Posted: 6/10/2013 - 06:50

• adammont

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2011

Ok Guys, i have almost settled on the following itinerary;

Bangkok to chiang mai on 29th dec. Flight booked
    6th January, chiang mai to phuket. (Should i book flight now or when i am there?)
    Phuket 6th Jan - 10th Jan (day tours to similan islands and/or phang na bay?)
    10th January - boat to koh phi phi for 1 night before heading on to Koh Lanta (Should i skip Phi Phi?)
    Koh Lanta 11th Jan to 15th Jan
    15th Jan Koh Lanta to Krabi /Railay beach
    Krabi/Railay beach 15th Jan to 19th Jan
    19th Jan Krabi to Bangkok (could i squeeze in koh sok national park here on way to surat thani to get train back to bangkok?)
    Fly Home on 24th Jan

Hope i am not trying to squeeze too much in too short of time but i will leave this as flexible as possible so that we are not rushing around! for example, dont have to go to koh sok national park, and 2 nights in bangkok at the end of the trip is fine with us.

Let me know yout thought!

Thanks

Adam

#7 Posted: 27/11/2013 - 06:02

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Looks ok. Best to book flights at least 7 days in advance but if not sure wait a little. Jan can be busy. PP will be packed!

#8 Posted: 27/11/2013 - 06:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Andaman Islands ... By saskpacker on 12 Jul 2006 2 1553 13 Jul 2006
Islands: Gulf vs. Andaman Sea ... By Tetso on 17 Jan 2014 4 514 19 Jan 2014
Andaman Sea and Gulf of Thailand Islands ... By TheGoose on 9 Feb 2009 1 3205 10 Feb 2009
Andaman Islands hopping questions ... By jordyr88 on 10 Nov 2010 1 1119 10 Nov 2010
Southern Andaman Islands in late November ... By kraver_alex on 11 Jun 2009 2 2145 12 Jun 2009