Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Chiang Mai Lantern festival info and hotel advice

• joeg

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

My girlfriend and I are going to be in Thailand from November 1st to the 21st and she has always wanted to see the lanterns in the sky. I have been researching and it seems as if theres a festival but on the 23rd but that its for foreigners.

I am just wondering if its still possible to be able to catch smaller ceremonies and if anyone has done that could help me out with information on how to do this it would greatly be appreciated.

Also I was wondering if there was any hotels close to where the lantern festival is held so i could book them in advance. My budget is around 120$ or less a day for lodging in Chiang Mai.

Thank you guys for your time,

Joseph

#1 Posted: 28/8/2013 - 10:22

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

my namesake lives in that cold rose of the north- surprised he did not respond yet, Maybe taking the kids to school.
    1. its not named as you write, its Yee Peng (local dialect) or Loy Kratong. Whereas its celebrated big in CMai, the real evening is indeed only 23/11. It is EVERYwhere -that touristy thing is just a ripoff for ignorant ditto tourists. The next days you''ll see the burntout ballons also everywhere, even more as empty beercans.
    2.So your Q about HTls-plus that really-adapt to that- in TH everything is priced in THB is easily solved: any HTL will do. IF you really look carefully, can adapt to the still living fact that not everything is online, then you may even find bathroomless rooms for 120 THB, but pay a little more for more quality. In fact its not really needed to prebook, but that also seems very hard to adopt for todays newbee tourists. 90% of places will have free rooms. For rooms in the 100€-bracket-go to mainstream sites for fussy tourists with too much money, like tripadvisor.
    3. MY advice; rather look for a room not too close by- the main area is all along the river Ping, due to that other Thai crazyness: excessive fireworks, thrown out without any regard for safety seeking USAers. PLus that transport is so ample and cheap, youll be anywhere in minutes.
    4.but youre mainly out of luck- on the days before there are some small scale festivities-ask at tourist info by that time, but not many and not of much interest.

#2 Posted: 29/8/2013 - 05:47

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Seriously, I haven't a clue with you are trying to say here in response to the OP. I got as far as your point 2 but gave up out of frustration!!

Where are you from captainbkk?

#3 Posted: 29/8/2013 - 08:42

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

cptbkks niver maki anyo sesnese

#4 Posted: 29/8/2013 - 09:31

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Loy Krathong is the festival you are talking about and it is actually on Nov 17th this year(changes every year as it is based on lunar calendar).

I ended up seeing the festival in Phuket town which was pretty neat. They had live music, a large parade, food stalls, shopping stalls, fireworks and of course the chineses lanterns and floating krathongs.

Chiang Mai is supposed to be a great place to see this festival, I don't know exactly where the main festivities will happen but it will be some place along the river(if not all along the river). If you are in Chiang Mai at the time then just ask around where the best place to be is and someone will let you know.

#5 Posted: 29/8/2013 - 10:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Hoi An Lantern Festival..... ... By MissMe on 4 Jun 2007 4 2395 20 Jan 2010
Yi peng lantern festival DATE? ... By natasia1 on 25 Sep 2013 9 2349 16 Oct 2013