Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bicycles in Bangkok-MRT

• bigmig

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2010

I will visit Thailand in October and will bring my bicycle with me.I will do a bike trip first up north, then to the south.
    My hotel in Bangkok is in chinatown for the first 2 nights because i will catch the train to Ayutthaya for the start of my bike trip. Has anyone had any success on bringing a bike( in a bike bag) on the MRT or does anyone know roughly what a taxi to chinatown( near Hua Lamphong) should cost from the airport?
    I know they don't allow bicycles on the MRT, i was hoping by keeping it in the travel bag they would give a break? I know i could take the airport rail link part way into town, but would then need to take the MRT or skytrain, (which doesnt go into chinatown).
    Any tips or ideas would be great. I'd like to avoid taxis if possible as i don't trust them,,but may be stuck with one.

Thanks, Mike

#1 Posted: 2/9/2013 - 19:11

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

How much is the airlines charging for the bike?

#2 Posted: 2/9/2013 - 20:24

• bigmig

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2010

Hi. I'm flying EVA air. My bike is free with them. I only have to pay $50 each way on a small leg with air Canada
    Thanks mike

#3 Posted: 2/9/2013 - 21:04

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

You could probably buy a bike in Thailand for $100. Save a lot of hassle.

Where are you going to ride it to and from?

#4 Posted: 2/9/2013 - 21:21

• bigmig

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2010

Thanks. I've looked into that and renting one too. I will ride first from Ayutthaya to Chiang Mai the south to a beach.
    Thanks

#5 Posted: 2/9/2013 - 21:27

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Usually rules don't mean a lot here, but the sky train is a bit different. They have security guys who actually at times enforce the rules. For this one I'd take a taxi.

Be careful riding. Thailand is not all that bike friendly mostly because drivers are psychotic. Make sure you clear your six every time you have to ease around something even if you're in the motorcycle lane. Riders can and do get hit from behind here.

#6 Posted: 2/9/2013 - 23:51

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You'll be looking at around 200-250 baht for a cab with tolls to Chinatown (depending on traffic). If you feel like a pedal before heading north this may be of interest (no need to take the tour) http://www.travelfish.org/feature/47

Cheers

#7 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 00:35

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

MRT is the UNDERground-metro, and will not accpet bikes. THIS is he raillink that has enforced security-also for all bekpek-toters.It does not serve the airport, that ARL=airpt raillink, operated by a special electric divison of SRT=state rail.
    There is a daft easy solution to your problem-but those who only are aware of www and apps etc. are out of luck. There is the normal train from a station named Lard Krabang ending also Hualampong, trains come from ChaChoengSao or beyond, run appr. 1-2 hrs and cost just 7 bt+ bike ticket. They have special luggage cars.
    LK is jst 1 stop out of airport on ARL, about 1,5 km. from terminal. Now the next problem is if you will be allowed to cycle on airportgrounds........
    Your ignorance of how BKK works is also prevalent in choice of hotel. CT is a nightmare to even walk-let alone cycle, now even more as they are digging up for the metro extension. You would have been much wiser to use HTL/guesthse near the other stations a little further out, like Samsen or bangSue. As you likely belong to the www-believers sect, a hoStel like in Sapan kwai or that new one at Vict.Monument would have fit the bill.

#8 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 05:31

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Perhaps some ignorance on captainbkk's behalf in this case (given they're so eager to bandy the term around) -- Chinatown is an excellent area to stay in Bangkok. Great food, vibrant area and quite compact. Personally, one of my fave parts of the city and the metro extension roadworks effect a very limited part of the district -- hit the backroads, there be gold there!

Good tip on the train I guess, but practically, will depend on train schedule etc & having waited two hours for a late running train today, I'd be getting a taxi :-) Food for thought.

#9 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 08:25

• bigmig

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2010

Thanks for the info so far, it all helps, i may switch hotels still and as long as i know what a taxi fare should be close to costing.
    Mike

#10 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 08:57

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Thai highways are super dangerous for bike riding. 90% of the drivers are maniacs. Also the views aren't very good. You'd be better off flying north and south and riding around when you get there.

#11 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 09:15

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I was going to say, I didn't think he planned to bike in Bangkok. That would be pretty rough. Side roads are OK, but main roads... ugh. Air quality sucks too. I was under the impression, though, that the OP didn't intend to actually bike in the city. I do agree with Leonard - get well away from Bangkok before riding. The traffic flow is heavy and the drivers are careless (and I am being generous).

#12 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 11:59

• bigmig

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2010

Hi , yes there wasnt much plan to bike in Bangkok itself. I am taking the train to Ayutthaya to start from there as i didnt want to deal with getting out of BKK by bike, although there are parts (as mentioned aboveby somtam2000) that are interesting to see I think. Last year i biked through cambodia and loved it,PP was nuts at times, but its a great way to see a country.
    Just looking for the easiest and least painful to get me and my bike from the airport to CT. I am staying in CT because its close to hua lamphong stn and my last time in BKK i was on sukvimit rd.
    Everyones advice has been good so far.

#13 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 12:14

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I rode my motorcycle from Ayuhdya to Khon Kaen via Chaiyaphum and highway 225 in Chaiyaphum was stunning. Great scenery, no traffic. BUT, it's steep, hilly / mountaineous terrain. Great for views and great for low traffic volume but you will be working hard. Also places to stay are spaced out about every 20-/25 km, so you probably won't want to do more than 50k a day lest you find yourself very tired and still a long way from anywhere to bed down. Just food for thought.

#14 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 12:41

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

The roads north from Ayuthaya to CM are dangerous. That's what i was referring too. Same for the highway south of Bangkok. There's a lot of traffic and little regard for safety. The area between Ayuthaya and CM is hot flat plains, not exactly the type of scenary you want to look at.

South - riding between Krabi and Phuket would be good as the scenary there is good. Also Surat to Krabi.
    North - the scenary between Phayao and Chiang Mai is very good. Also Phayao to Chiang Rai.

Segments like these would be much more interesting than slogging your guts out thru the central plains.

If you flew to Chiang Mai and did the CM-Phayao-CR-CM loop and then flew to Surat and go Krabi and end up in Phuket. Relax on a beach.

#15 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 19:42

• bigmig

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2010

Thanks again for the trip ideas. I've received some good info here and will look at the options put forth. I want to try to ride as much as possible but want to be safe as well.
    Thanks
    M

#16 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 20:49

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

In between Chiang Mai and Phayao you have Chae Son NP which has hotsprings and waterfalls. Nice spot to stop for a couple of days.

#17 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 21:08

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Also I know a travelfisher here who rode from Khemmerat to That Phanom along the Mekong. Nice ride with low traffic volume. You could take the train to Ubon, then from there ride to Khemmerat and all the way up to Nong Khai or even Loei. That would be a long and nice ride. Strong riders ride in that relatively flat area and cover 100 km a day. Traffic is light, scenery is interesting, lots of decent stops along the way.

#18 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 22:35

• bigmig

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2010

Wow. Thanks for the info. So many cool spots tand rides consider. I will check these out for sure.
    Cheers
    Mike

#19 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 22:51

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Ubon to Khong Chiam would be a good ride. Little traffic out there and Ubon is a cool province.

#20 Posted: 4/9/2013 - 10:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.