Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Confusion with Thai Visa's!!

  • KoalaBeans

    Joined Travelfish
    8th September, 2013
    Posts: 3

    Hi everyone

    My girlfriend and I are planning our first ever trip around the world and are looking for some advice on Visa's... I guess these questions pop up alot but we cannot find the answers we are looking for!

    The first part of our trip consists of approximately 4 months in Asia...

    We fly into Bangkok on 3rd November and are intending to head up north for 14 days through Chiang Mai and into Laos (3-5 days) , Vietnam (3 weeks) and Cambodia (12 days) then back overland into Thailand as we have reservations in Koh Phangan over xmas and new year.

    We are planning to then travel down south Thailand after the new year into malaysia (for 2 weeks) and then travel back up to Bangkok from 1st February - we will work our way up through South Thailand to leave on 28th February to Australia

    Our main concerns are:
    1) We have been advised by STA Travel that we need proof of onwards travel from Thailand when we depart from manchester else we may not be allowed to board our flight to Bangkok...is this true? we will be travelling overland to Laos and won't make these arrangements until we get there! It seems pointless getting a 60 day visa for this period when we are leaving after 14 days?
    2) When re-entering Thailand overland the final time (st February) presumably we will have to get another visa, for which we will only be using 28 days of the 60 day allowance

    is there such thing as a multiple-entry visa?

    thanks in advance guys

    #1 Posted: 8/9/2013 - 11:34

  • Advertisement

  • Captain_Bob

    Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand
    Posts: 1679

    Assuming you will already have flight tickets from Bangkok to Australia, showing this will probably satisfy the airline check-in requirements when departing Manchester. Technically, to get a visa-exempt (30-day) entry to Thailand requires the onward flight also be within 30 days, but with a brief explanation of your interim border-hopping plan for Laos/Cambodia and back it should slide. Maybe print out a rough itinerary. Or they may not ask at all - it's pretty hit and miss.

    When re-entering Thailand by land border visa-exempt you only get a 15-day entry. Obviously you need more than that so ...

    Probably the best way to eliminate possible doubt and inconvenience is just get a double-entry tourist visa in advance. This will clear the way boarding the flight and give you ample time for the 2nd entry. The Thai consulate in Hull is user-friendly and doable by mail. http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com

    It may seem wasteful when you're not using the full 60 days each time, but think of it as an insurance policy against potential hassles and inconvenience. £50-70 well spent.

    #2 Posted: 8/9/2013 - 12:25

  • KoalaBeans

    Joined Travelfish
    8th September, 2013
    Posts: 3

    Thanks captain_bob il take a look... From what I'd gathered so far I didn't think it possible to get a multiple entry visa and thought our only hope would be to get 3 x 60 day visa's which would not be utilised very well at all...

    #3 Posted: 8/9/2013 - 12:42

  • judyksp

    Joined Travelfish
    8th September, 2013
    Posts: 2
    Total reviews: 2

    According to your plan you are entering Thailand 3 times. The first is your arrival, the second when you return from Cambodia and finally when you return from Malaysia. For the first time, you do not need any visa. You automatically get a 30 days visa exempt when you fly in. But when you return from Cambodia via land, you will only get 15 days visa exempt. If your stay in Thailand then is not over 15 days, then you again you need not worry.

    But for your final leg, you will definitely need to get a visa unless you are flying in from Malaysia. Again if you travel by land, you get only 15 days and that is not sufficient for your final 28 days. So the best way would be for you to go to the Thai Embassy in Kuala Lumpur to get your tourist visa. You will need to show proof of your flight ticket out of Thailand to get that visa. And recently Thailand is talking about tourists having to show bank statements. They change their mind easily so be prepared with some financial documents as well.

    Of course the other option is to get your multiple entry visa from your country before you leave. I am not sure if they give 2 or 3 multiple entries. If they give you only 2, then you will have to apply for re-entry permit before you leave for Malaysia. This will give you another 30 day extension. Or you can go to any major immigration office in Thailand and pay for another 30 day extension. This extension can only be bought if you already have a valid visa.

    #4 Posted: 9/9/2013 - 22:32

  • KoalaBeans

    Joined Travelfish
    8th September, 2013
    Posts: 3

    thanks for that informative info judyksp

    The Thai embassy have stated they will give up to 3 entries, each once costing £25 and each lasting 60 days. I understand we wouldn't need a visa for the first leg of our journey but there is some confusion as to whether or not when you get the 15 days (if travelling into Thailand by land) or 30 days (if travelling into Thailand by air) visa-free you have to show proof of onward travel.

    STA Travel have also mentioned that when leaving Britain we may not be able to board our flight to Thailand without proof of onward travel (Flight out of the country, or train ticket), or a Visa.

    #5 Posted: 10/9/2013 - 08:51

  • anderslewis

    Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2013
    Posts: 5

    I am flying into Bangkok on the 3rd Nov for the first time too! [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img] Well, take of on the 3rd and land on the 4th but still...

    I got my double entry visa from the Birmingham Embassy. £50 and was back with me in the post in a few days. I am in Thailand for 6 weeks initially, then Australia for a few weeks then back to Thailand after new year so suits my requirements. At least how plans stand at the moment anyway!

    You could get the treble entry for £75 and be sorted, if money doesnt matter so much then i would do that. Also means if your plans change you can stay longer in Thailand should you wish at any point without having to do a visa run. Otherwise as others have replied you can get a tourist visa at KL for the last bit of you stick to the itinerary.

    As for proof of onward travel, a easy solve of this is here... http://www.wanderingearl.com/proof-of-onward-travel-a-story-and-a-solution/

    Hope that helps.

    #6 Posted: 11/9/2013 - 05:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Confusion about Thai Visa ... By dslash01 on 9 Jun 2011 6 2372 13 Jun 2011
Thai visa - confusion :S ... By stokates on 9 Jul 2009 6 2573 20 Aug 2009
Visa Confusion ... By zenz on 10 Dec 2012 10 2693 28 Dec 2012
Confusion over Visa ... By MLSinclair on 27 Mar 2010 11 1806 31 Mar 2010
Visa Confusion ... By zenz on 13 Dec 2012 3 911 25 Dec 2012
confusion about the e-visa ... By buecax on 16 Jul 2009 3 2284 16 Jul 2009
Visa confusion ... By joejowers on 22 Jan 2009 3 1423 23 Jan 2009