Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

MEKONG TRIP

• evacondes

Joined Travelfish
    17th July, 2007

Hi, we are going to spend several days in Nan (north Tailand) and we are also interest in see and make a little by boat in the Mekong.
    Which area do you recommend departing from Nan for example?
    Thanks
    E.

#1 Posted: 28/7/2007 - 23:26

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi E,

From Nan, a great area to go trekking from is out of Bamboo Huts in Ban Toei -- near Doi Phukha National Park.

#2 Posted: 29/7/2007 - 15:25

• evacondes

Joined Travelfish
    17th July, 2007

Hi again,
    Thanks somtam2000 for your info, we are already going to bamboo hut, maybe I didn't make myself clear, what I meant was if you recommend any village/city to go and visit de Mekong. As we will be departing from Nan... we do not know which area will be nicer for a little trip by boat in the river Mekong.
    Thanks
    Eva

#3 Posted: 29/7/2007 - 15:48

• Guernseystu

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007

I don't know about the Thai side of the Mekhong but on the Laos side there's a nice two-day trip from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang stopping overnight in Pakbeng (I think). You need to head for Chiang Kong through Chiang Rai.

#4 Posted: 29/7/2007 - 18:36

• evacondes

Joined Travelfish
    17th July, 2007

Hi, we have been doing some research and the things we are interested in are:
    First: how can we manage to go from Nan to Nong Khai. Is it a long way?
    Second: we would like to know if we can hire a private little tiny boat to go with someone autoctonous who can drive us from Nong Khai to Ubon Ratchatbani. How long does it take? is it doable?
    Thanks again!
    Eva

#5 Posted: 29/7/2007 - 23:07

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You can make an excellent 2-day (or longer) trip from Nan to Nong Khai through the mountains and then along the Mekong.

From Nan take the bus to Uttaradit. In Uttaradit, buy a ticket for Loei. Once in Loei, take the bus to Chiang Khan. This part of the trip will take you into the mountains where you'll pass through Phu Rua and eventually to Loei. It's beautiful and takes about 6-7 to go from Uttaradit to Chiang Khan. As the bus route begins in Uttaradit, you may want to consider spending an evening there in order to guarantee yourself a seat on the bus. There are only (I think) two buses that make this trip, and it's definitely one that you want to be sitting for. Because there are only a couple of buses each day, they fill quickly.

Don't bother staying Loei. Nothing against it ... it's just that Chiang Khan is much smaller, quieter, quainter, and located right on the bank of the Mekong. It also has a terrific selection of old, inexpensive river house guest houses to choose from, and barely anyone will be there. It is also the best place to start your trip to Nong Khai. But, when you are in Loei, make sure you try the grilled sticky rice on a stick! You can find it at the bus station.

From Chiang Khan to NK is easy. In the morning, take a songthaew along the river to Pak Chom, then a local bus (coming up from Loie) to Nong Khai. There are nice little towns all along the Mekong between CK and NK with bungalows and guest houses. It's a lovely stretch of road and my absolute favourite part of the country.

Alternatively, you can skip Chiang Khan and take an excellent bus trip directly from Loei to Nong Khai (about 7 hours) that will pass through some very remote hill areas, and then along the Mekong from Pak Chom to Nong Khai.

You can also go from Loei to Udon Thani, but it's not nearly as nice or interesting.

Hope this helps.

#6 Posted: 31/7/2007 - 20:24

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I forgot to mention this ... you can arrange boat trips on the Mekong in Chiang Khan. This is a very interesting and undeveloped stretch of the river. I don't know if you can arrange a trip from Nong Khai south, but I'm sure someone at one of the guest houses there will be able to help.

#7 Posted: 31/7/2007 - 20:25

• evacondes

Joined Travelfish
    17th July, 2007

Tilapia, thanks so so much for your recomendations!!!
    It helps a lot!
    Thanks again!
    Eva

#8 Posted: 31/7/2007 - 22:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.