Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

The real deal on money belts

• planetclare

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2006
    Total reviews: 4

I'd love to get some opinions on the necessity of wearing money belts in Thailand. I've traveled pretty extensively in Europe, and have never used a money belt, and have never had any problems with theft. Perhaps I've just been lucky, but they've always seemed to me to be a cumbersome, uncomfortable, flashing neon sign screaming, "Tourist! Tourist!" Instead, I prefer to always keep an eye (or more often, a hand) on my purse, and to keep my passport tucked away in an interior zippered pocket so it can't be pulled out easily. But this will be my first time in Thailand, and I'll probably be going to a lot of the more touristy sites. So what do you think: money belt or no?

Thanks!
    Clare

#1 Posted: 29/7/2007 - 05:58

• Advertisement

• marianwarren

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2006
    Total reviews: 13

Hi Clare

If you've managed to avoid the bag-snatchers in Italy, Thailand should be a doddle. Same rules apply. I used a normal leather handbag with a long strap and zippered pockets, worn across my chest and just kept my hand on it in crowded places.

Kind regards

Marian

#2 Posted: 29/7/2007 - 09:02

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I agree with Marian -- if you survived Italy without getting robbed, you should have no problems in Thailand.

#3 Posted: 29/7/2007 - 15:22

• planetclare

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2006
    Total reviews: 4

Hmm, perhaps I should have been more specific...I haven't spent that much time in Italy, but lots of time in England (lived in London for 3 months) and France (several trips to Paris, plus backpacking around the eastern side of the country), plus smaller trips to Denmark, Spain, Wales, Ireland. Will I still be OK?

BTW, I think I WILL definitely take a money belt if I ever venture further into Italy! :-)

#4 Posted: 31/7/2007 - 21:10

• marianwarren

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2006
    Total reviews: 13

Hi Clare

I think you'll be fine. Wear your bag across the chest rather than on the shoulder, and carry everything you value in zipped pockets. There are opportunists everywhere in the world - Thailand's pretty cruisey - use commonsense and you'll be okay.

I have taken a money belt on 3 extensive trips (a gift) and each time after the first day or two I've ditched it and it languishes in my luggage the entire trip.

Travel well

Marian

#5 Posted: 1/8/2007 - 02:11

• GussieG

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2006

About the only time I use a moneybelt is when travelling from place to place with all my luggage. Otherwise, leave your valuables in the guesthouse safe/locker at reception, and only take out what cash you need for the day. At least that way, if the worst comes to the worst, you only lose a bit of cash and not your entire moneybelt contents!

#6 Posted: 1/8/2007 - 17:12

• sonicbum

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2007

LoL, i agree with GussieG!!! The ONLY time i use my money belt is in transit to/from airports. Mainly for convience reasons, you got ALL your important paperwork in one place... Im male, so i dont have a purse, but I have found Thailand (compared to the rest of the places ive been in the world) to be full of nice people everywhere!! Obviously crime takes place in EVERY country, but Thailand is country I have always felt pretty safe, and Ive taken less defensive measures here. Im a solo traveler and Ive never really had a time when i felt in danger here, even late at night walking around.. Also, I usually feel safer in the popular tourist areas, because I feel like unless you have money hanging out of your pocket, they are not going to bother you. And every hotel ive had, including the one right now in Patong beach (little buddah guesthouse) for $12USD a night has a free safe deposit box.

Have a safe trip, and i bet you will feel pleasantly suprised at how safe you feel!!!!

#7 Posted: 2/8/2007 - 15:09

• erinj

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2007

In Costa Rica I wore a flat money belt under my clothes. It was a bit uncomfortable, but reassuring knowing everything was safe. If I had a safe in my room though, I would leave it all there, and just take the necessities.

Cheers

#8 Posted: 3/8/2007 - 07:44

• alisonmilli-
    ken

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2006
    Total reviews: 2

Hi,
    I agree about the moneybelt in Thailand. I lived there for three years (in BKK) and travelled a fair bit. And never bothered with a moenybelt. I did always have a handbag you can wear across your body though. Although there was never a problem. I never heard of any incidents of theft among my friends or anything. The normal sensible rules apply though.
    Have fun! ALISON

#9 Posted: 14/8/2007 - 14:43

• KRStamm

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2007

I will throw my 2 cents in even though this post has been up a while. When I was in Kenya the first place a thief would go for is the money belt either on your waist or around your neck. If some one wants to steel from you they know where tourists keep their money. I know this sounds a bit silly but in hotels that dont have a safe I kept my passport and stuff; if I was doing a day trip, in what ever "holey book" was provided. Who in the right mind will steel from God? Just watch out for wandering hands in crowded places, and of course dont leave your bags unattended in a crowded spot.

#10 Posted: 11/9/2007 - 23:16

• Advertisement

• tazzy

Joined Travelfish
    13th September, 2007

I agree with the other posters you should be Ok without a money belt, just use common sense, keep big money in a front preferably zipped pocket or better still an internal pocket. keep a few small notes close handy for small purchases like drinks etc in another pocket.
    If you are concerned about your belongings leave them at your hotel or guest house locked away.I have purchased a small pacsafe that you can attach to rigid objects in your room if there in no safe, money well spent

#11 Posted: 13/9/2007 - 14:28

• raffaela

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2007

hello i just wanted to say that us Italians are robbed as well when we are tourists in other countries : ) just to cheer you up

love to all
    Raffaela

#12 Posted: 13/11/2007 - 06:58

• annu75

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007
    Location United States

just get a money belt and tell us about it;-) i think it's worth getting it, it costs like 10bucks and i think it makes you feel safe and you have to worry less. i like them even if they stick to my skin in summer. you can also get the one you can hang around your neck and if the string is long enough you can just tuck them in your pants. believe me noone will see you are a tourist...

i am definitely getting a new one for my next trip...

#13 Posted: 16/11/2007 - 15:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
money belts ... By barrylad66 on 23 Apr 2008 6 3078 21 Aug 2008
Saigon - What is the real deal? ... By beanspot on 12 Feb 2010 4 1488 14 Feb 2010