Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Ultimate Thailand tour with Ultimate Oz

• Proctec

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2013

Hi,

I am a 31 year old female travelling to Thailand for the first time on 7th October and I am a bit nervous as I am travelling on my own. I am debating booking the Ultimate Thailand tour with UltimateOz as it looks like it covers quite a few of the places I am keen on going too. I was wondering if anyone had done this tour and had any comments about it? I have heard that it is not necessary to book a tour, however I am a bit freaked out at the prospect of finding my own way around at the start! Let me know any advice or tips you may have!

thanks

Charlotte

#1 Posted: 11/9/2013 - 11:06

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Thailand is very tourist friendly. Dead easy to book tours and transport over there. You're 31yo for heavens sake. Lots of 19yos go over and work it out. Just pick a couple of spots to visit ie Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Krabi. Book your flights - Air Asia, Nok etc and when you arrive organise your tours - travel agents galore all over the place that will book day tours for you. Much cheaper over there and so easy.

#2 Posted: 11/9/2013 - 20:48

• Proctec

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2013

Thanks for this! Definitely keen to do the majority alone - especially BKK when I arrive and Northern Thailand later on. Just liked the look of the quick fix tour for getting over to the beaches,but I guess I can work that one out too - Im just a bit lazy ;-). Still, if anyone has done it or heard anything about it then let me know!

#3 Posted: 12/9/2013 - 03:35

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

You mean this? http://www.ultimatethailand.travel/itinerary
    You could pretty easily save half the AU$650 (19,000THB) fee and do it yourself, but hey if you want things planned out for you and handheld all the way go for it. When I've encountered these young backpacker package tour groups they seem kind of sad, like they're stuck with each other and there's little incentive to branch out or opportunity to be spontaneous. Half the fun of travel is figuring it out as you go, IMO. Just grab a metred taxi from the airport to Khao San Road the backpacker ghetto, get a guesthouse room for a couple nights, and make the effort to meet some of the thousands of other like-minded travellers in your midst. Swap ideas and head out. Buy bus tickets at bus station, not from travel agents, and buy train tickets at the train station. Piece of cake. I do recommend Khao Sok, by the way. Go stay near the park entrance and arrange an overnight visit to the lake from there. Happy planning...

#4 Posted: 12/9/2013 - 07:48

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

I'm not sure a 31yo wants to hang out with kids on KSR. Worst little road in Bangkok to be honest. I've spent a lot of time in Bangkok but less than 30 mins on KSR because it has nothing to offer.

It's far more convenient to book a hotel near the skytrain. Gives you access to sights, nightlife and shopping.

#5 Posted: 12/9/2013 - 10:52

• Proctec

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2013

Thanks for the advice guys. I am going to do some planning on my lonesome in that case and not book the tour, would like to experience Kao San rd, but may do a stay as recommended near the skytrain too, any good hostel/hotel suggestions?

#6 Posted: 12/9/2013 - 11:06

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Depends how much you want to spend. Bangkok has a lot of hotels to choose from. If you want something central on the Skytrain the Evergreen Place is good or the Ibis Siam. Lots of great street food there, shopping centres, Jim Thompson house and easy to move to other areas being so close to the Skytrain.

#7 Posted: 12/9/2013 - 12:01

• Proctec

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2013

Great, thanks - will check those ones out :-)

#8 Posted: 12/9/2013 - 12:09

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

I suggested to initially stay near KSR because you said you were lazy at planning and considering that rather silly-looking kiddie tour. A more experienced repeat traveller might do otherwise, but for an independent first-timer KSR area still holds the best prospect of finding potential travel companions and deciding where to go next.

#9 Posted: 12/9/2013 - 13:23

• Proctec

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2013

Hey Captain Bob, yes I am planning on going there too.. Have friend who has just got back who stayed there for a bit and she loved it. any hostel recs there?

#10 Posted: 12/9/2013 - 15:09

• Advertisement

• roro1990

Joined Travelfish
    9th August, 2013

I'm confused Leonard. it's like you seem to disagree with going to the major areas just for the sake of disagreeing, and seem to have a condescending attitude towards people who do choose to go to places like KSR. You gave me good advice on a couple of my threads, yet i've noticed a common trend upon your posts to be condescending towards anyone who wants to go to ksr and FMP.If you don't like them fair enough, but a lot of people do/will

#11 Posted: 12/9/2013 - 15:33

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Greater Bangkok has about 12 mill people living there and you can visit many areas and sois. Telling people to visit KSR would be like telling people to visit the first 300m of any soi in the city with the only difference being the other sois would be more authentic and more interesting. There is literally nothing on the small KSR except some guesthouses, lost tourists and Thais charging them double for products.

I thought the idea of travel was to explore a new country and it's culture. But maybe I'm wrong. People are just going to hang out in a guesthouse and not actually explore anything.

FMP - is a drug/alcohol fueled party run by the Thai mafia. Why do you think the Thai police let Thais sell drugs to the tourists?

Go or don't go. Doesn't matter to me. But the facts remain.

#12 Posted: 12/9/2013 - 18:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
question about ultimate Thailand explorer contest by TAT ... By Jake on 21 Sep 2009 1 766 21 Sep 2009
Seeking an Ultimate Backpackers Island ... By Phiddy on 6 Dec 2011 18 2348 19 Dec 2011
Reader submission winner: The ultimate homestay experience ... By somtam2000 on 15 Mar 2010 0 2005 15 Mar 2010