Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Arriving late in Thailand! Advice?

• crystalrsh

Joined Travelfish
    19th August, 2013
    Location United States

I am booking my flight today and the one I prefer has a short layover but I will be arriving in Thailand at midnight. I am a solo female traveler and I just want to be careful since I will be traveling alone. I've read its not the best idea to travel alone at night but my hostel is 20-30 minutes away from the airport. Is it safe to travel in a taxi at night from the airport to a nearby hostel?

#1 Posted: 13/9/2013 - 14:15

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Hi,

Personally I think it's safe. I mean, there's an element of risk involved in just walking out your door. If you want to be extra safe, you could see if your hostel can pick you up at the airport. Otherwise, choose a flight that arrives earlier so you can use the airport link train or public buses. If you're going to a popular traveler area you could also ask some of the other people in line to see if anyone wants to share a taxi, which of course has the added benefit of making it cheaper for everyone.

#2 Posted: 13/9/2013 - 19:50

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Where is your "hostel"??? (typically referred to as "guesthouse" in this part of the world)

If it's in one of the popular backpacker ghettos like Khao San Road then you should be able to find people at baggage claim to share a taxi so you feel more secure. Anyway it's pretty safe. Go to the metered taxi rank on the ground floor, state your destination, get a voucher, make sure the driver turns on the meter, and off you go. Should cost about 300 baht in light traffic late at night (can ask the driver to skip the tollways). Have small banknotes to pay the fare as taxi drivers often can't/won't break large notes (withdraw 9,900b from ATM or make small purchase at the airport). Happy travels =)

#3 Posted: 14/9/2013 - 01:06

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Yeah go to the taxi stand in airport and you should be fine.

#4 Posted: 14/9/2013 - 01:18

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

Surprise! That thing so maligned by manty of you;that venerable GUIDEBOOK-even has a special box about it-as so many planes from nervous people arr. BKk by 24.00. Confirming its all OK-just logical thinking -the power of big numbers-should people able to think for themselves tell the same. For dumbfounded USAers; even though you are brainwashed to believe NY is a big apple that never sleeps-its actually BKK. NY cannot sleep due to all that hauling noise of firevans and crimechasing police-BKk just lives 24 hrs.And as BKK is build up, actually hoStels (as most of you newbsies only trust web and thus are misled by such sites) close by airport are much more prone to sit in abandoned dark areas, along freeways without any footpath.
    Also IMHO Thailand is one of the very, very few countries where single males are more prone to ill intended people as those single females.
    Always very happy to smash some wrong prejudice.

#5 Posted: 14/9/2013 - 05:59

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Well that me start by smashing your prejudice concerning NewYork City. It's a city with serious nightlife and you can go clubbing at three a.m. without a problem. Thailand has closing laws and by two in the morning, almost all clubs are done. I like Bangkok, and it's certainly a lot cheaper than NYC, but it's not more cosmopolitan than New York nor more alive.

Single females travelling at night by taxi are at some risk - at least according to my Thai friends from the Bangkok Salsa scene. The solution of sharing a cab is a good one.

On a side note: "Hostels" are not the same as Guesthouses or hotels. Somehow the term hostel is slowly creeping into the lexicon as synonamous with guesthouse. Just as trekking is slowly becoming synonamous with hiking. The primary difference is that guesthouses provide individual rooms and hostels provide larger bay rooms with multiple beds often shared by people who do not know each other. In Thailand you might also note the term "resort" is also a synonym for "short time hotel". Just an FYI.

#6 Posted: 14/9/2013 - 08:01

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

as long as:

you take an official taxi from the rank
    and you have the name and address of the hostel written in Thai or can give adequate directions when you book the taxi

then yes

#7 Posted: 14/9/2013 - 08:18

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Oh and make sure someone is going to be at the hostel when you get there. Some of those places lock up that late at night.

#8 Posted: 14/9/2013 - 10:15

• crystalrsh

Joined Travelfish
    19th August, 2013
    Location United States

I was thinking about getting a room at Refill Now, I read that it is close to the airport. This all makes me fell better, I wasn't sure if there would be any help getting a taxi so late at night (midnight). And my flight is 21 hrs to Bangkok so I will get tired. Thanks for the help!!

#9 Posted: 16/9/2013 - 07:43

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

"In Thailand you might also note the term "resort" is also a synonym for "short time hotel". Just an FYI."

The Marriott Resort is a ST hotel is it?

At least half of the 4-5 star hotels near beaches have resort in the name LOL

#10 Posted: 16/9/2013 - 08:37

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

"The primary difference is that guesthouses provide individual rooms and hostels provide larger bay rooms with multiple beds often shared by people who do not know each other."

A lot of hostels have private rooms. GHs are all private while hostels have a mix of rooms. That's the difference. Hostels are far more common in European countries though. No need for a hostel in Thailand when GHs are so cheap.

#11 Posted: 16/9/2013 - 08:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Arriving late in HCMC/Hotel advice ... By brilliantjoy on 5 May 2014 3 976 30 Aug 2014
Arriving Late in Bangkok ... By bdtjones on 20 Jan 2011 3 3431 23 Jan 2011
Arriving in BKK late at night ... By amylou on 26 Jan 2010 8 2600 28 Jan 2010
Arriving in late (Bangkok) ... By noel59 on 28 Jan 2011 14 2740 1 Feb 2011
Arriving Late in Ho Chi Minh ... By TheOtherOne on 1 May 2009 2 2024 2 May 2009
Arriving late at night in Kuching? ... By modulatrix on 20 Apr 2013 2 1046 21 Apr 2013
Thailand in late July too crowded? is the North better? Advice please! ... By Mexicano31 on 10 Apr 2010 3 2226 15 Apr 2010
Arriving late into Phuket Airport, what to do/where to stay? ... By rustythomson on 4 Dec 2013 2 980 29 Dec 2013
Arriving in Bangkok around 10:30pm..too late to check in anywhere? ... By Travelguy76 on 30 Jun 2013 20 3573 9 Jul 2013
arriving late, where to stay/long term rentals ... By musicalnomads on 17 Aug 2009 2 3420 18 Aug 2009