Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

CNX-DMK-REP flight dilemma

• mikefly

Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2013

Hi, I need help!

I am in process of booking internal flights for my first big family trip. I am travelling with my partner and our 10 month old baby. We'll likely have one checked bag. Itinerary at the bottom of this post.

Among the flights I'm booking are CNX-REP on Nov 18

AirAsia has a great flight leaving DMK-REP at 10:20am, but I need to get to DMK first!
    NokAir has a flight CNX-DMK, arriving at 8:50am

Is 90 minutes enough to deplane, pick up luggage, clear customs - recheck-in etc?
    Is there an earlier flight I'm just not seeing?

Alternatives -
    #1 stay overnight at DMK on the 18th, fly DMK-REP on Nov 19. Depart REP on Nov 22. (lose a day in REP)
    #2 Leave CNX on Nov 17 - missing the final evening of Loi Krathong. Will most of the festivities be wrapped up by Sunday evening, or is this the big finale?

Any insight appreciated.

Mike

Itinerary
    YYZ-BKK
    4 nights Bangkok
    5 nights Chiang Mai
    4 nights Siem Riep
    6 nights Krabi
    2 nights Khao Sok
    4 nights Khao Lak
    fly out of Phuket
    2 nights Hong Kong
    HKG-YYZ

#1 Posted: 14/9/2013 - 22:28

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

You seem to have covered all the bases. Either go for it and risk any delay with the Nok flight and clearing passport control at DMK, or spend a night at DMK with a baby. Ninety minutes would probably be enough time though, provided the transit goes smoothly. Good luck.

#2 Posted: 15/9/2013 - 07:23

• mikefly

Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2013

Hi Captain Bob,

Can you provide some insight into Loi Krathong / Yi Peng? Your previous posts suggest you have been many times.

I gather the main festivities will be on Nov 15,16,17 - if the festival 'culminates' on the evening of the 17th, then I would like to stay - if it winds down on the 17th, then I don't mind getting out of dodge a little early, and keeping our itinerary on track.

Let me know...
    Mike

#3 Posted: 15/9/2013 - 12:43

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Loi Krathong main night will be the 17th if it is anything like it was in Phuket. There actually wasn't a lot going on the night before but the night of they had a parade, live music, vendor stalls, fireworks etc. I would be sticking around Chiang Mai till at least the 18th as I hear Loi Krathong is very nice there.

90 minutes should be enough, earlier flights are less likely to be delayed as well. If you don't want to risk it looks like your only other option would be to stay the night in Bangkok.

#4 Posted: 15/9/2013 - 14:01

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

corrections on misperceptions:
    DMK-REP is NOT an ''internal'' flight-maybe misread for INTernational? In fact, hardly anyone evers talks about internal-its domestic or not. As its NOT INTernational, CNX-DMK has NO customs whatsoever. But then most people nowadays hardly know what customs actually are for (search your belongings for contraband and smuggling). On arrival there is simply no check at all.
    AirAsia also flies CNX-DMK-check if they do not offer earlier flights.
    There is just 1 simply prerequisite for AA: you MUST have done that checkin before the allotted time (mostly 45 mins before). If just 1 sec too late-lost all. But they have easy to use self-serve machines-and then drop-off luggage goes fast. In DMK it may be very closeby-or not and then have to go out from old Term. 2 to nearside Term 1 for the new flight-its not that far, but very confusing for newbies.
    In the cooler season CNX is quite often enshrouded in fog early morning-meaning that ALL flights, incl. TG etc, are held up or cancelled. ChMai is also THE place to see LoyKratong/YeePeng, has no comparison with Phuket.

#5 Posted: 16/9/2013 - 06:56

• mikefly

Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2013

Thanks Captain2.

When referring to internal flights - I am thinking of the short haul flights that are part of my vacation - not the long haul flights to/from North America.
    For the sake of clarity, your point about domestic and international is well taken.

We will not need to clear customs on the CNX-REP side, but will when re-entering.

I'm going to try to knock a day off of my Siem Reap hotel reservation. If that works, I can book the flights, leaving CNX on Nov 18, and flying on AA to REP on Nov 19. Not 100% on plan, but better than missing a flight by a couple minutes, or the culmination of Loi Krathong - the whole point of scheduling Chiang Mai during that time.
    MT

#6 Posted: 16/9/2013 - 07:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.