Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Itinerary ideas?? - Bangkok to Singapore over 3 weeks...

• carlw87

Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Hi guys.

I thought I'd jump on the bandwagon and see if anyone had any extra tips for locations to get to during my 3 weeks in Southeast Asia.

I have noted the obvious and some not so obvious places to go on my trip but wondered if anyone could add a few 'travellers secrets', little gems which only you guys know about!

Any information will be gratefully received as this is my first time backpacking!

Cheers!

Carl

#1 Posted: 17/9/2013 - 02:31

• Advertisement

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

I'm not revealing anything startling here but definitely pay a visit to Penang, it is boss.

#2 Posted: 17/9/2013 - 10:11

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Secrets? There aren't any. Read the forum for ideas.

#3 Posted: 17/9/2013 - 11:20

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

What time of the year will your trip be? That will determine if the east coast is worth a look or not.

Agree with china re Penang - that's a 3kg stop just there. Langkawi also surprisingly pleasant.

#4 Posted: 17/9/2013 - 19:59

• patjk

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2013

When you say "Singapore to Bangkok", does this mean you have 3 weeks to explore Singapore and Thailand? Or have any specific interests?

If really depends on what you want to do. Beaches? Camping? Cities?

In 3 weeks you can do Bangkok, a couple islands, head north to Chiang Mai, head east over to Laos, down to Cambodia, and back to Bangkok to leave. Or you could go Bangkok, north to Chiang Mai, west to Burma and back down to Bangkok. There is lots to see, you just need to pick and choose depending on what you like. It is a beautiful place, and well traveled, so no worries.

#5 Posted: 17/9/2013 - 23:16

• carlw87

Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Somtam - I fly to Bangkok on the 30th of November and have a flight from Singapore to Perth on the 22nd of December. I have looked into internal flights but I am tempted to do it all by Bus or Train to ensure I am not tied down to any others dates other than the one above. Patjk - this answers one of your questions as well. As for my interests, I want to sample the history and the raw side of the country as well as the beaches and the jungle. I definitely want to stay in a tree house in the jungle for a couple of days and I know I want to go to Krabi. I have a good idea of a lot of different things I want to see but because I am restricted to 3 weeks, I think I will rate them all out of 10 (from what I read online and in forums such as this) and take the list with me in case I get restricted for time and cant make them all!

Thanks for your replies so far guys :-)

#6 Posted: 18/9/2013 - 01:35

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

Most of the historic sights (no not all) are in the north of thailand . Somewhere like Sukothai might be worth considering with a full day there exploring and a daay each way - perhaps with a stop in Lop Buri/ Ayutthaya on the way and I would strongly reccomend a day trip to the Ancient City just outside of Bangkok

Beaches are all over the place so take you pick and Krabi a good choice

Look at the jungle railway through malaysia and stop off on the way sorry do not know about tree house

This way you might be able to meet your aims

#7 Posted: 18/9/2013 - 06:16

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

OK so in three weeks I would...

Take a note out of amnicoll's book and start off by heading north to Ayutthaya for an overnight or two stay - heaps of temples and only an hour or so north of Bangkok so not a major diversion.
    Suggested reading: All three of these stories

I'd then head south (by train) to Prachuap Khiri Khan - stay at Maggie's Guesthouse allow two nights. Climb Khao Lommuak -- amazing views.

Then jump back on the train and go to Surat Thani and from there get a bus to Khao Sok National Park - try for your treehouse fix here. Allow 3 nights
    Suggested reading: Khao Sok NP independently

That's one week down.

Then bus from KSNP to Krabi: 2 night minimum there
    Suggested reading: An extra day

From here you're got the island stretch down to Malaysia -- we have a LOT of stuff on this strip of coast, but here are a coupla starters:
    Andaman Sea Island Hopper
    Andaman sea island coverage

Guarantee you'll lose a week along here.

In Malaysia I'd choose two spots - perhaps Penang and KL -- but you'll be running tight by this stage. Assuming you get your island fix in Thailand, I'd skip Langkawi for Penang.
    Suggested reading: Pnang coverage

We haven't even mentioned Singapore yet -- start here

Sorry to mainly give you a stack of links, but there's probably a lot of useful info for your planning.

One last piece of advice, be wary of trying to do too much -- 3 weeks will fly by - especially as above allows no time in Bangkok, KL or Sg!

Cheers

#8 Posted: 18/9/2013 - 07:12

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Yes 3 weeks isn't that long. I've done a lot of 3 week trips and it's a decent amount of time to relax and do things but not a long time. It's best to only have 3-4 main areas to visit which allows you 5 days in places, so time to explore and time to relax.

You really don't want to be hitting up 8 places that are far apart and packing/unpacking and waiting for buses/trains a lot. Not fun.

It's also good to find destinations close together than work in for instance Bangkok/Kanchanaburi, Krabi /Phi Phi and Trang/Ko Mook. That way you kill 2 birds with 1 stone. You could do 3 nights BKK and 1 night Kanch. 5 nights in Krabi and daytrip to Phi Phi etc.

Some people try to do Phi Phi- Koh Pha Ngan in 5 days and it makes no sense. Too far apart.

#9 Posted: 18/9/2013 - 19:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Itinerary help Bangkok - Singapore (4weeks) ... By Sjors1989 on 11 Sep 2014 4 475 15 Sep 2014
thailand to singapore any ideas please ... By cross83 on 2 May 2009 2 2906 2 May 2009