Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

sukhothai from Phitsanoluk

• reenakukreja

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2007

Hi, I will be travelling from Bangkok via train to Phitsanoluk, the final destination being Sukhothai. I was hoping to take the 2:30 train out which reaches there at 8:45 pm. Does anyone know till what time the local buses connecting to Sukhothai run? How often and what would be the best place to get them.

Thanks.

#1 Posted: 31/7/2007 - 00:48

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Buses stop running to Phitsanulok from Sukhothai at either 5:00 or 6:00 or sometime in between. I was told that buses continued running to Sukhothai from Phitsanulok for several hours after, but am not certain if there are buses after 9:00 pm. I would not count on getting a bus to Sukhothai after 9:00 pm, though. Someone else might have more exact info.

If this is the case, you are going to be tight for time unless your bus gets in early. The bus and train stations are about 1 1/2 km away from each other. You should be able to find a way there, though, either by taxi or songthaew. Good luck.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 31/7/2007 - 02:01

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Sorry, I meant "unless your train gets in early".

Long weekend!

#3 Posted: 31/7/2007 - 02:07

• reenakukreja

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2007

thanks for your input. I had heard the same that buses stop running in the evening but was not sure about the information. Do you know at what time the buses from Phitsanoluk to Sukhothai begin their operations. I might take the night train from Bangkok that reaches there at 4 am.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 31/7/2007 - 05:03

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Not sure, but I'd guess that they start leaving early. There is a market near the train station that's set-up in the evenings, and probably has a bunch of stalls open in the morning, too, so you can grab something to eat when you get off the train.

You can walk from the train station to Wat Mahathat (Wat Yai) to see one of the greatest Buddhas in the country. The monks will probably be doing their thing at that time of the morning and it could be quite magical. It's about a 15 minute walk, right on the river, and right by the bridge that leads to Sukhothai. Since there's nothing in between Sukhothai and Phitsanulok, you can probably flag down any bus at the bridge expecting that it will be going to Sukhothai. This will save you the 2 km hike to the bus station.

#5 Posted: 31/7/2007 - 20:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.