Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Itinerary too busy: what to skip?

• KatW

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2013

Hi

We're planning a three weeks trip in Thailand with three kids (5-8-11). The itinerary below includes all places we would like to visit but... I fear it will be too much for our kids. So... we need to make choices? What place would you skip and where would you add extra days? Why?

We plan to use taxi's, domestic flights and a night train.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Katrien

1 Bangkok arrival
    2 Bangkok
    3 Bangkok
    4 Bangkok - River Kwai (via floating market)
    5 River Kwai (Erawan) - Ayutthaya
    6 Ayutthaya (bicycle tour) - Chiang Mai (night train)
    7 Chiang Mai
    8 Chiang Mai (elephant nature park)
    9 Chiang Mai
    10 Chiang Mai - Soppong
    11 Soppong
    12 Soppong - Mae hong son
    13 Mae hong Son
    14 Mae hong Son - Khao Sok (flights)
    15 Khao Sok
    16 Khao Sok
    17 Khao Sok - Koh Pha-Ngan
    18 Koh Pha-Ngan
    19 Koh Pha-Ngan
    20 Koh Pha-Ngan - Bangkok (flight)
    21 Bangkok - home

#1 Posted: 24/9/2013 - 07:52

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

MHS to Khao Sok in a day is a long day. You are going to have to fly to CM then to Bangkok and then to Surat and then bus it. Or fly from CM to Phuket and then bus it.

Going from Khao Sok to KPN is also a bit of a mission. It would be easier to just go to Khao Lak or Phuket.

#2 Posted: 24/9/2013 - 09:47

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

I would skip KPN as well. I think Krabi would make more sense travel and kid wise. Khao Sok has a daily minibus direct to Krabi, with 5 people it might make sense to hire a driver to take you instead though.

MHS to Khao Sok is definitely going to be a bit of a mission especially with kids. Probably best to break it up by flying to CM then Phuket and stay the night there then bus to Khao Sok. Alternatively could fly CM to Krabi, spend a few days there then take minibus/car to Khao Sok and finish by taking bus to Phuket or Surat Thani and flight back to Bangkok.

As for cutting something out to make a little more comfortable I would probably say knock something off your time around Bangkok. River Kwai, Ayutthaya, Bangkok itself. 1 extra day for the travel above should make things ok.

#3 Posted: 24/9/2013 - 15:54

• Blackartemis

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2011

The last 300km of the Northern rail is under repair, scratch the train off your list and look at Nakon Chairair Buses. Their 21 passanger bus has electronically reclining leather seats like an airplane, takes 10 hours at night (arrive CM around 5:30am) and costs 861Baht.

I don't believe your plan covers too much either, but I have no love for KPN and agree with Geer1 about Krabi.

I am also one of the people here who really thinks Bangkok doesn't have much to offer a tourist when compared to Chiang Mai . It might be loved by Expats here, but for tourists there is more of a sense of wonder to be found in Chiang Mai and the North.

#4 Posted: 26/9/2013 - 00:26

• KatW

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2013

Thank you for your replies!

Phuket or Krabi or Khao Lak would indeed be much easier to combine with Khao Sok, but weather-wise there not the best option in August, isn't it?

Maybe we should only stay one day in Bangkok?

And/or go from River Kwai to Ayutthaya in the morning and take the train/bus in the evening?

Thanks again

Katrien

#5 Posted: 26/9/2013 - 01:41

• Blackartemis

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2011

You could do:
    Arrive in Bangkok
    Day 1 see the major temples and sights
    Day 2 see the floating market and bridge
    Day 3 Ayuuthaya

And then save that extra day for where ever you feel it will best fit.

#6 Posted: 26/9/2013 - 02:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.