Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Yi peng lantern festival DATE?

• natasia1

Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2013

Does anyone know the official date for the local event? rumour is it's on the 16th of november...anyone able to confirm?

is it best to organise through a tour group where pick up and drop off is included or rather arrange yourself!

I'm travelling solo!

#1 Posted: 25/9/2013 - 17:24

• Advertisement

• Blackartemis

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2011

16th for the free one, and the 23rd for the Paid even and then the 17th you can head down to the ping river for Loy Krathong, mind the flying bottle rockets.

To get out to Mae Jo area you are going to have to organize with others to get a songtao/sii law/rot daeng/red truck whatever your perfered terminology is. There are a few threads on tripadvisor with people trying to organize something. If you are staying in a very tourist filled area that could work as well. The traffic sucks and if you get there later it is a crush of people. I go on motorbike but I've been riding in Chiang Mai for years.

Also, don't buy any lanterns outside on the way there, you will not be allowed in with them. You need to buy them on the inside, so along the dirt path, ignore it all unless you plan on letting them go right there. They do run out and I had to get one held together with tape. it flipped upside down and set a tree on fire.....

enjoy

#2 Posted: 26/9/2013 - 00:09

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

The Tudgc Lanna in Sansai free event mass lantern launch thing, you sure it's the 16th? I've also been hearing it's the 17th. Share your source please.

#3 Posted: 26/9/2013 - 00:28

• Blackartemis

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2011

heard on other forums and sites such as: http://www.canvas-of-light.com/2012/11/yi-peng-the-festival-of-lights-in-chiang-mai-thailand/
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293917-i9325-k6256967-o80-Lantern_Festival_2013-Chiang_Mai.html
    If I am wrong, lets get to the bottom of this. I have lunch right now, will recheck my info in 20mins, don't want to affect someone's travel plans!

BTW, I heard the one on the 23rd is Sold out, according to their facebook page.

#4 Posted: 26/9/2013 - 00:32

• natasia1

Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2013

Well i came across a tour group that was running the yi peng lantern festival tour and i sent him an email to confirm and he has confirmed saying that the local one is on the 16th!

Is it usually better to do these things with a tour group as pick up and such is organised?

#5 Posted: 26/9/2013 - 00:41

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Yep, I'm seeing that https://www.facebook.com/YeepengLanna.net paid event sold out. Just trying to nail down the free/public (more genuine) event date. I went in 2010 - epic stuff.

#6 Posted: 26/9/2013 - 00:43

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

There seems to be a lot of people thinking Yee Peng is the 16th and I have seen posts by people saying it is the 16th while Loi Krathong is on the 17th. I don't know where people are getting this info and it doesn't make sense, both holidays are celebrated on the night of the full moon which is the 17th this year.

#7 Posted: 26/9/2013 - 00:45

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

The free mass lantern launch in Sansai doesn't necessarily coincide with the full moon. Always seems to be on a Saturday. Was last year, and in 2010 when I did it.

#8 Posted: 26/9/2013 - 01:19

• Blackartemis

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2011

Agree it seems to be a Saturday thing, which would be the 16th. Heck the paid one is the following Saturday, well passed the full moon period.

Natasia1: If you are comfortable on a motorbike in crazy traffic, it is the best way as the roads will be packed with cars.

But going with a tour group might be easiest if you are just visiting and unsure of how to get there.

#9 Posted: 26/9/2013 - 01:31

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Drawing from a variety of sources, it looks like the 16th is it. I will keep checking and try to better confirm.

#10 Posted: 16/10/2013 - 11:32

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Hoi An Lantern Festival..... ... By MissMe on 4 Jun 2007 4 2427 20 Jan 2010
26th Nov to 1st Dec in Chiang Mai (yi peng festival) ... By stellix on 7 Oct 2012 0 508 7 Oct 2012
Chiang Mai Lantern festival info and hotel advice ... By joeg on 28 Aug 2013 4 1396 29 Aug 2013