Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

time between transport recommendations?

• ike

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2007

hi all,
    if you had to wait for the next boat or next flight, where would you choose to hang out for 2-3 hours (with suitcase)...thong sala (ko phangan) or ko samui airport? i have to make a choice with timetables available, which means some in-between time hanging out between boat/air connections on my way back to bangkok.
    would love a suggestion or preference,if anyone has a tip.
    thanks!

#1 Posted: 1/8/2007 - 05:24

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Why not get the boat over and hangout at Bophut on Samui -- then you're only ten minutes from the airport and it's a FAR nicer spot, with plenty of shops, cafes, bars etc than either Thong Sala or the airport.

#2 Posted: 1/8/2007 - 15:09

• mican

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2007

travelling to Thailand in January from Ireland, arriving in Bangkok airport late morning. any ideas how much time I should leave for immigration before catching ongoing flight to Chiang Mai. also please is it easy to transfer to Don Muang airport if I can get cheaper domestic flight. thanks!

#3 Posted: 25/8/2007 - 22:55

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

sorry i missed the intial post until now, but i'll put in my two cents anyway. we had a pretty decent time hanging out at samui airport for our last-of-the-day flight back to bangkok. once we had checked our bags, we went into the boarding area which had free internet terminals for catchin up on email, free english-language newspapers, and free snacks and drinks. bonus. it wasn't the best time we had on samui, but it wasn't bad and we were able to relax and enjoy all the free goodies knowing that we were all checked in and ready to go. i guess i wouldn't necessarily want to give up a few hours in the middle of the day to hang out at the airport, but for that late night flight, it was a good call.

i'm afraid that i haven't arrived via the new airport, so i cannot say how long it takes to collect bags and pass through immigration. however, if it is anything like the old airport, anything from 20 minutes to an hour is typical. the transfer to Don Muang would be a lot of work, not to mention the additional cost and hassle of dragging your luggage all the way across the city, so i'd want that savings of a cheaper domestic flight to chiang mai to be something significant before i made the effort to switch airports, particularly after a long flight from ireland. i hope that helps. cheers.

#4 Posted: 26/8/2007 - 07:49

• marianwarren

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2006
    Total reviews: 13

Hi Mican

We arrived in Bangkok @ 1010 and had a flight booked to Chiang Mai with AirAsia at 1250 - stacks of time to clear customs which took about 30 minutes - more airport hanging! This was in/out Suvarnabhumi so can't comment on domestic services from Don Muang.

Regards

Marian

#5 Posted: 26/8/2007 - 15:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.