Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Best Family Beach?

• xiaolinmama

Joined Travelfish
    23rd September, 2013

Hello all (first time post-er here!),

I am headed to Thailand for two months with my family - including a 10 year old and 13 year old. After a few weeks in Bankok and Chiang Mai, we want to head to the beach.

We are thinking about renting a home/condo in Hua Hin for 1 month. We are looking for an economical area to help stretch our budget - nice beach, good food, decent snorkling. Phuket, Pattaya and other big party towns won't work for us. Any suggestions for beach towns for Mid-Nov to mid Dec?

Any help you can offer would be super!

Thanks.

#1 Posted: 1/10/2013 - 17:27

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

HHin has hardly any snorkling-dont know how imprtt that would be. Its mainly seen as a quiet, if not little sedate pensioners home with mostly Scandinavians. Alternative would be the islands east-mainly Koh Chang. It has several separate beaches-that differ a lot in budgets and what hey offer. SOme are sad to be Russified quickly at late.

#2 Posted: 2/10/2013 - 07:01

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Hua Hin isn't quiet. It's a busy city on the beach. The beach is average and hard to access with hotels blocking access. Rooms and restaurants are grossly overpriced. I was totally bored with it after 2 days. You'd have to pay me to stay there for a month.

Koh Chang is a good option but 2 weeks would be enough.

I think Krabi is the best option. Plenty of things to do but not too many tourists. It has several food markets, an airport and you can find some apartments for rent. There are excellent snorkelling and kayaking tours.

#3 Posted: 2/10/2013 - 07:21

• xiaolinmama

Joined Travelfish
    23rd September, 2013

Thanks everyone, that really helps a ton!

I'll definitely look into Krabi/Koh Lanta at your suggestion.

#4 Posted: 2/10/2013 - 12:40

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Lanta is a nice relaxing island. Easy to get to from Krabi . I wouldn't want to spend a month on the island though. If you do visit Krabi you can access Phi Phi and other islands like Ko Hong easy enough. So there's a few options.

Trang town and the Trang islands like Ko Muk are also worth a visit and not far away. The Emerald cave on Muk is good and Trang town has excellent night market for food.

#5 Posted: 2/10/2013 - 20:42

• christof

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Good choice! Lanta and Krabi are great in the early part of high season. I thought the snorkeling at Koh Lipe was pretty good too though not sure what it is like now it has become more popular.

#6 Posted: 6/10/2013 - 06:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.