Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Enough time to catch the ferry in Koh Samui??

• marie79

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

Hi there,
    I hope someone who has done this route can help me...
    We are landing in Bangkok airport at 9:45 am, were thinking of flying to Koh Samui and then on to Koh Tao to be on Koh tao the same day.
    Doing my research, I realize that all ferries, catamaran leave Koh Samui at 12:00 or 1 pm at the latest.
    Do you think I would have enough time to :
    -Get out of the plane, pick up the luggage
    -Check in with Bangkok airways, fly to Koh Samui
    -Get out of the plane again, pick up the luggage again, take the shuttle to the pier and then take the ferry/boat, etc to Koh Tao ???

Any Boat/Ferry leaving in the afternoon or in the evening??? I checked and couldn't find one but maybe I'm wrong....

PS: We are traveling with 2 children under 3 years old, which doesn't make things easier...

#1 Posted: 4/10/2013 - 16:17

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Simple answer. No.

I think the last Lomprayah boat from Samui to Ko Tao leaves at 12:30, and there is no way you'd make that connection if you're arriving in Bangkok at 9:45 as even if you're on time then you get through customs immigration in 30 minutes (unlikely), that's 10:15, checkin is generally 45 minutes before flight so lets say an 11 am flight to Samui (not sure if there is one) and you've missed the flight.

There is an afternoon boat to Ko Pha Ngan but you'd still need to overnight there, so I'd be inclined just to overnight in Ko Samui if you go that route.

I thought you could get a Nok Air flight from Bangkok to Chumphon and then get the ferry from there, but there are only two flights daily, one early morning, one late afternoon, so no use, unless you want to get the night ferry from Chumphon to Ko Tao (but would mean you have to spend ten hours in Bangkok).

No great options I can think of sorry - perhaps others will have an idea.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 4/10/2013 - 19:56

• marie79

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

Thank you very much for your answer somtam.
    You are confirming what I thought...
    I guess that if we land at 9:45, there is no way we can be on Koh Tao the same day.
    That's ok, we'll stay for a few days in Koh Samui first, and then on to Koh Tao.
    Thank you again for your time, this website is really very helpful!
    Marie

#3 Posted: 5/10/2013 - 09:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Day time train +bus+ferry from Bankok to koh Samui ... By Jenn80 on 4 May 2012 1 1427 4 May 2012
Flight to catch - how much time to drive from Pai to Chiang Mai? ... By heidisueelvus on 3 Feb 2014 7 579 9 Feb 2014
the Surat Thani Railway station scam to catch the last boat of the day to Koh Samui ... By Terryofcrete on 25 Jul 2014 3 517 26 Jul 2014
Ko Samui Ferry terminal for Ko tao? ... By gally45 on 2 Jan 2010 3 5762 2 Jan 2010
Cambodia to Kho Samui Ferry? ... By TravellingScot on 4 Mar 2010 4 11251 16 Sep 2010
Ferry from Samet to Samui? ... By KerryH on 3 Aug 2006 2 1769 3 Aug 2006
Pattaya to Samui or Phangan by ferry ... By Kristi on 30 Nov 2006 3 4095 1 Dec 2006