Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Returning home to winter

• tolstoy

Joined Travelfish
    26th February, 2013

Not really a major issue but I'm wondering how people cope with returning to a place like England at the start of February as I will after three months in a hot country? Are their cheap options for picking up winter style clothes before heading home?

#1 Posted: 6/10/2013 - 12:23

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Nov/Jan/Feb is considered "cool season" by Thai standards, especially up north. So there will be some warmish clothing available in shops/markets, or just go to Tesco Lotus or Robinsons (department stores). You'll at least want a pully/jumper/sweater to cope with the aircon at the airport and during the flight, before hitting the UK weather on arrival.

#2 Posted: 6/10/2013 - 22:21

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I agree with Captain_Bob. If you plan on going into some highland areas anyway you'll want a pair of jeans and a fleece, so just keep them in the bottom of your rucksack and wear them to the airport on your departure.

#3 Posted: 6/10/2013 - 23:10

• tolstoy

Joined Travelfish
    26th February, 2013

Thanks for that. I hadn't thought about the mountains and I know how chilly they can be. Mentally prepared for the travels, not so sure I'm looking forward to coming home to a grey, wet, cold London and spending the next month in a seriously depressed state wondering why I've returned?!

#4 Posted: 7/10/2013 - 04:03

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

I do this every year but for whatever reason I do not feel the cold - even walked home in sandles and T shirt in the snow

#5 Posted: 7/10/2013 - 07:09

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

I do this every year but for whatever reason I do not feel the cold - even walked home in sandles and T shirt in the snow

#6 Posted: 7/10/2013 - 07:09

• tolstoy

Joined Travelfish
    26th February, 2013

I guess I could do a 'I'm 'ard as nails, me', but think I'd prefer a modicum of warmth however pathetic.

#7 Posted: 8/10/2013 - 10:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Returning home from laos. ... By Gorey on 31 May 2007 3 2014 1 Jun 2007
Winter Guesthouse - Your Home At Angkor Wat ... By kunkesey on 26 Feb 2008 1 3093 26 Feb 2008