Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Accommodation over Xmas and New Years

• psychiq

Joined Travelfish
    11th July, 2007

I've just booked my plane tickets to fly into Phuket on 21st December and to fly out of Bangkok on 4th January. We havent planned too much yet but our rough itinerary will look something like this...

21/22/23 Dec - Phuket
    24/25/26 Dec - Phan Nga or Krabi and surrounding islands
    27/28/29 Dec - Khao Sok
    30/31/1/2 Dec/Jan - Koh Pha Ngan
    3/4 Jan - Bangkok

I really dont want to book everything in advance but I realise I may have to book as much as possible seeing as its over the busiest period. Obviously Phuket and Koh Pha Ngan I will have to over those dates.

To give us more freedom and based on this itinerary is there any time over our holiday that we wont really need to book in advance? Are there any places in Southern Thailand that we wont have to worry about finding accommodation if we were to just rock up over these dates ?

Any advice would be helpful.

#1 Posted: 2/8/2007 - 13:15

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You've picked probably the peakest of peak times to go to some of Thailand's most popular destinations!

What you may want to consider is cutting either Phang Nga/Krabi or Ko Pha Ngan and spending a longer period in one place. That may make it easier to reserve rooms, as you'll find many (not all) places will require a minimum stay (eg 3 nights, through some ask for seven) for a reservation.

If that's not an option, read on:

It comes down to how picky you are with your accommodation. If you're happy to wander up and down beaches for a few hours looking for lodgings, then I'd book very little -- you'll ALWAYS find a "room" somewhere -- it may just be your 17th or 27th choice, rather than your third.

Ko Pha Ngan for New Years and Krabi for Christmas will be your trouble tickets. If you arrive on Ko Pha Ngan on the 30th looking for a room without a reservation, be prepared for some walking! same goes for Phi Phi.

There's still a lot of availability at the moment, so see if you can find places that tickle your fancy -- your itinerary is pretty short, so you can't be all that flexible about what dates you'd be needing a room...

#2 Posted: 2/8/2007 - 15:10

• psychiq

Joined Travelfish
    11th July, 2007

Thanks Somtam, Well we really want to go Koh Phangan for new years eve.

So if we were to cut out one part of our trip, which would you recommend we go to? out of Phuket, Krabi & Ko Lanta or Phang Nga's coast?

I havent been to either of these three places so I dont know what theyre like. Obviously I've heard what patong is like and I think we will stay well away from there!! We want somewhere a bit obscure but still has a few nice places surrounding.

#3 Posted: 3/8/2007 - 07:55

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I would cut Phang Nga -- it's out of the way compared to the other places you're going, and doesn't offer anything you won't be able to experience elsewhere.

If by Krabi you just mean Krabi town, it's little more than a transit point to Ko Lanta -- many just pass through.

Don't forget it's a full day of travel from Ko Lanta to Ko Pha Ngan.

Have a fun New Years!

#4 Posted: 3/8/2007 - 09:29

• psychiq

Joined Travelfish
    11th July, 2007

Thanks :) I'm so looking forward to this trip and I just want it to be perfect.

I want to break up Southern Thailand to Koh Phangan by going to Kao Sok in between that! And I've also heard wonderful things about Kao Sok National Park too.

Ok I'll cut out Phang Nga and Krabi... I'll have a look into the islands a little more and see what Koh Lanta and Koh Phi Phi can offer!

#5 Posted: 3/8/2007 - 09:38

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

While we don't cover it on Travelfish (just haven't got around to returning there to write about it), Khao Sok National Park is stunning. There's two parts to the park -- one the lake and another in the forest -- the lake side stuff wins out in my opinion.

Check out the Jungle Yoga website for some terrific pics of the lake area.

#6 Posted: 3/8/2007 - 09:49

• psychiq

Joined Travelfish
    11th July, 2007

Sorry for all the questions.. but do you think that Kao Sok is easy to do by yourself? Or would you recommend I do a 4 day tour with all expenses include?

#7 Posted: 3/8/2007 - 10:29

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Personally I'd say do it yourself -- it's pretty straightforward once you're there, and nothing is very expensive. That said, with your tight schedule, a tour may be the way to go.

#8 Posted: 3/8/2007 - 12:31

• Guernseystu

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007

There are mini-buses running from Surat Thani to Khao Sok every hour and cost less than 100B. Not exactly sure about the price as I've got my own wheels, but I see the mini-buses drive past all day and they're full of tourists too. Getting to and from Khao Sok couldn't be easier these days.

#9 Posted: 5/8/2007 - 10:27

• lling

Joined Travelfish
    17th November, 2005
    Total reviews: 3

We did Koh Sok last year, and loved it. Stayed at Arts river view lodge and they arranged a trip out to the lake - we only did 1 night on the floating raft huts, but wish we did more! In that time we managed to trek up the mountain, through the batcaves and a night safari as well.
    Arts is great, makes everything easy for you and there's a public bus you can take from the Phuket bus station that will drop you outside, where there are utes waiting to pick you up.

#10 Posted: 22/9/2007 - 10:49

• Advertisement

• psychiq

Joined Travelfish
    11th July, 2007

Thanks for your advice guys. I've actually decided to go through Limestone Lake Tours only because I dont want to be stressed over Xmas and New Years and I'd prefer to let someone else take care of the organisation.

I do have another question though.

Everyone is telling me I have to book accommodation ASAP before everything gets booked up. I've been trying to book for New Years in Koh Phangan but no one will take my booking because they are saying its too far away and to call back in Nov/December. I'm confused about this... I'm worried that if I call back then they may already be booked out.

Specifically I'm looking to book in Haad Yao over new years. Am I going to be ok booking a bungalow on the beach in by early December ?

#11 Posted: 25/9/2007 - 21:02

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

We're seeing a lot of booking requests for guesthouses that take online reservations on Ko Pha Ngan over the silly season (X-mas - New Year's) coming back UNAVAILABLE -- a lot.

That said, bear in mind the bulk of places on Ko Pha Ngan cannot be booked online, so assuming you're getting there with some lead time, you should be fine in getting a hut.

#12 Posted: 25/9/2007 - 21:09

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Sorry, go ahead of myself -- I meant to post a link to this story which, while talking about the Full Moon Parties in particular, is also relevant to when you'll be there.

#13 Posted: 25/9/2007 - 21:11

• psychiq

Joined Travelfish
    11th July, 2007

Thanks for the link to that article. Its made me worried more now because we wont be arriving in Koh Phangan until late afternoon on 29th December.

#14 Posted: 25/9/2007 - 21:28

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi psychic,

Hmmm, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Haad Yao is a very popular beach on Ko Pha Ngan and I'd say your chances of showing up on the afternoon of the 29th December and getting a bungalow would be slim -- not impossible of course, but very slim.

I've just added a new post about this (and Ko Phi Phi, the other very popular spot) -- may be of use as it has some links for more reservation places you could try.

Good luck!

#15 Posted: 25/9/2007 - 22:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
A word on online reservations over xmas and new years eve ... By somtam2000 on 1 Sep 2006 0 885 1 Sep 2006
Xmas full moon party accommodation ... By dorial on 19 Nov 2010 4 1668 14 Dec 2010
Please advise ! Do we need to book accommodation in advance for Xmas in Cambodia? ... By maylosada on 30 Oct 2013 5 2285 30 Nov 2013
Christmas/New years accommodation in Koh Pahngan ... By Ess87 on 13 May 2011 1 1390 13 May 2011
Koh Pangan New Years Eve Full Moon Party Accommodation ... By StephJayne165 on 1 Oct 2011 14 3935 23 Oct 2014