Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Weather & impact in Thailand, next week & November

• somanights

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Hi all

Myself and my partner are flying to Bangkok on Monday, starting a 6 month backpacking scoot around SE Asia, planning to head North towards Laos (after reading your excellent general weather pages). I've read what I can about flooding there at the minute, but am unclear - so can anyone tell me please:

1 - which parts of the country north of bangkok are hit by flooding?
    2 - how this can effect getting around by road or rail, and picking somewhere to stay?

Never been backpacking or to SE Asia before, so any current, practical advice most appreciated.

Will contribute to your threads as we get going!

Thanks

Ryan

#1 Posted: 10/10/2013 - 14:21

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Flood map here

It's unlikely to affect your travels at all. Not nearly as bad as the epic flooding two years ago. You can come up to Chiang Mai as the gateway to northern Laos, zero flooding here. Just note a portion of the northern train line is closed for maintenance until at least nov-1.

#2 Posted: 11/10/2013 - 05:45

• somanights

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Thanks Captain. Not sure how to interpret the flood map - do vast swathes of blue indicate present flooding? Seems like much of central area is pretty intractable if so.

Is there any way I can get a clear idea of whether a trip next week to Ayutthaya is viable?

#3 Posted: 11/10/2013 - 16:34

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

Viable-yes of coruse-enjoyable? Who knows-maybe Buddha. Look again or ask when there-there is not much lost on not seeing those renovated ruins over there.Nearly all the sights you see as so dreadful are NOT north, but east of BKK=the main route into Cambodia. Also far south of Laos.
    You now think much too much as a westerner who gets anal rejection if he does not know any possible detail in advance-that is one of Asia's charms: you'll have to get used to that being impossible. Maybe you even discover you can easily travel without all that planned/booked monthes advance and not every step as an app on your expensive mobuy. If the road is flooded-if its low, the bus may still run, if its too high, it wont-or be detoured, or not at all. Busstaff may not even know it all in detail when they set off on long routes.

#4 Posted: 12/10/2013 - 06:03

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Here's an example of 2011 vs. this year. I think your trip to Ayutthaya is a go.
    http://themacleodthaimes.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-flood-of-2013.html

#5 Posted: 12/10/2013 - 07:39

• somanights

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Captain Bob, thanks very much, good to have a current on the ground report. We've not got our heart set on Ayutthaya, it just seemed like a decent first destination out of bangkok without any long haul travel. Keen to go somewhere a bit more chilled than BK after arrival, that's the priority. Was a little concerned after reading this report: http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2013/10/rising-river-threatens-cruises/

Captainbkk - thanks for your moving contribution. As soon as anal rejection takes hold, I'll be sure to let you know. In the meantime, I'll keep asking for advice from those who might be kind enough to offer it so I can avoid contraction of this awful western condition,

#6 Posted: 12/10/2013 - 09:11

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013
    Total reviews: 3

I have to agree with captainbkk. Just go!

#7 Posted: 12/10/2013 - 23:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand in November: good weather??,,, ... By breaker15 on 11 Oct 2010 9 32664 27 Oct 2010
Weather in Thailand November 1st time backpackers ... By Kevandjace on 18 Jan 2013 9 4247 20 Jan 2013
another weather in november question ... By snowfish on 18 Oct 2009 4 3499 12 Oct 2010
Weather November - islands ... By Neilk61 on 26 Sep 2011 6 7213 28 Sep 2011
Con Dao island weather in November? ... By NicolasCA on 31 Oct 2007 2 3843 6 Nov 2007
weather in november on the islands ... By mickdaly10 on 27 Jul 2010 5 7699 28 Jul 2010
Figuring out November travel regarding weather ... By TheNewGuy8 on 5 Nov 2010 1 1733 6 Nov 2010