Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Travel from Sangkhlaburi to Ayutthaya

• Stefaniala

Joined Travelfish
    11th October, 2013

Hi, we are three students and will start our travel from Bangkok next Monday (14th). We thought about going to Kanchanaburi first, then up to Sangkhlaburi and then cross to Ayutthaya, then to Ko Samet and back to BK. Any suggestions on that?

Specifically: is there any bus/other transportation possibility from Sangkhlaburi to Ayutthaya?

Thanks in advance!
    Stefania

#1 Posted: 11/10/2013 - 02:01

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

From Sangkhlaburi you have to go back to Ayuthaya. You won't have another choice.

From Ayuthaya, you can get a bus to Suphanburi. They leave regularly starting in the very early morning until later in the afternoon/early evening. From Suphanburi you can get another bus to Ayuthaya. Don't know how often they go, though.

You should be able to walk off of your bus or minivan from Sangkhlaburi and then walk straight onto a bus to Suphanburi.

#2 Posted: 11/10/2013 - 08:09

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

I think Tilapia meant...

From Sangkhlaburi you have to go back to Kanchanaburi. You won't have another choice.

From Kanchanaburi, you can get a bus to Suphanburi. They leave regularly starting in the very early morning until later in the afternoon/early evening. From Suphanburi you can get another bus to Ayuthaya.

#3 Posted: 11/10/2013 - 09:43

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

What Captain Bob said.

Otherwise they have a minibus straight from Kanchanaburi to Ayutthaya. Would be a lot faster and less of a hassle but at least twice as expensive (380 baht last Feb.). I believe they depart in the late morning but check with any guesthouse when you're in Kanchanaburi for the latest.

#4 Posted: 11/10/2013 - 10:11

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ooops. Thanks for picking up on that Captain Bob. I just came back from a few days in Montreal and my head is still a bit fuzzy.

I think the minivan leaves at around 1:30.

#5 Posted: 11/10/2013 - 11:07

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

See what I mean. I'm shutting down!

#6 Posted: 11/10/2013 - 11:08

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Heh Heh Tilapia I kind of suspected it was due to traveller's jetlag. Hope you had a nice flight =)

#7 Posted: 11/10/2013 - 13:22

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I wish, Bob. It was a 6-hour drive!!! Montreal just does that to me. If you've never been, I highly recommend the place.

Best!!!

#8 Posted: 11/10/2013 - 20:15

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Used to live two hours from Montreal. My head's still fuzzy from the last time I was there, seven years ago. :)

#9 Posted: 11/10/2013 - 22:12

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

there is an alternative-saving 1 change and time (no direct connect at Suphan).From (and thus also into Sangkla) are hourly minivans to Kan and .8 big buses, half of which run ON/come from BKK-MOCHIT-which has big buses ev 20/30 mins to Ayut. This includes the daily overnite bus (as such not recdd-unless dead poor Malay student with an Asianattitude).MOchit also has direct expresswaybuses to RAYONG-the jump-off point for BanPhae=ferry to Samet.
    The route via Suphan is not very interesting, but neither is that via BKK-of which bigcity you wont see very much by using thse buses.

#10 Posted: 12/10/2013 - 05:58

• Advertisement

• somanights

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

We're in Kanchanaburi currently, and there are waves of offers 'taxis' to Ayutthaya and elsewhere for 400B. I've read here and other forums that non-government buses can be risky, has this been the experience of anyone making this journey (as we plan to in a couple of days)?

Also, is it really more cost/time efficient to go this way rather than back to bkk and up to Ayutthaya? Plenty of places tell us the alternative route options, but would appreciate advice of someone who's had recent experiences here.

BTW, Kanchanaburi is nice. Staying at VN Guesthouse, enjoying a very pleasant, relaxing stay on the rafthouse! Great value for 475B

#11 Posted: 23/10/2013 - 10:50

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

No problem with govt. busesalthough they are slow they are safe and cheap

I very much doubt that it is either more effective in time to go via BKK and certainly not if you use the train or bus but you may save a few baht if you go via mini van via BKK

#12 Posted: 24/10/2013 - 05:14

• somanights

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Thanks for the reply. Took our first bus trip today coming back from Nam Tok, and it was comfortable and well fanned, so less concerned about going the normal route now.

#13 Posted: 24/10/2013 - 06:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
travel between Sangkhlaburi and umphang ... By boxee on 7 Feb 2011 6 2997 26 Feb 2011