Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Travel from Sangkhlaburi to Ayutthaya

Posted by Stefaniala on 11/10/2013 at 02:01

Hi, we are three students and will start our travel from Bangkok next Monday (14th). We thought about going to Kanchanaburi first, then up to Sangkhlaburi and then cross to Ayutthaya, then to Ko Samet and back to BK. Any suggestions on that?

Specifically: is there any bus/other transportation possibility from Sangkhlaburi to Ayutthaya?

Thanks in advance!
Stefania

#1 Stefaniala has been a member since 11/10/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by Tilapia on 11/10/2013 at 08:09

From Sangkhlaburi you have to go back to Ayuthaya. You won't have another choice.

From Ayuthaya, you can get a bus to Suphanburi. They leave regularly starting in the very early morning until later in the afternoon/early evening. From Suphanburi you can get another bus to Ayuthaya. Don't know how often they go, though.

You should be able to walk off of your bus or minivan from Sangkhlaburi and then walk straight onto a bus to Suphanburi.

#2 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,485
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 11/10/2013 at 09:43

I think Tilapia meant...

From Sangkhlaburi you have to go back to Kanchanaburi. You won't have another choice.

From Kanchanaburi, you can get a bus to Suphanburi. They leave regularly starting in the very early morning until later in the afternoon/early evening. From Suphanburi you can get another bus to Ayuthaya.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,823

Posted by DLuek on 11/10/2013 at 10:11 TF writer

What Captain Bob said.

Otherwise they have a minibus straight from Kanchanaburi to Ayutthaya. Would be a lot faster and less of a hassle but at least twice as expensive (380 baht last Feb.). I believe they depart in the late morning but check with any guesthouse when you're in Kanchanaburi for the latest.

#4 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,121
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by Tilapia on 11/10/2013 at 11:07

Ooops. Thanks for picking up on that Captain Bob. I just came back from a few days in Montreal and my head is still a bit fuzzy.

I think the minivan leaves at around 1:30.

#5 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,485
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by Tilapia on 11/10/2013 at 11:08

See what I mean. I'm shutting down!

#6 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,485
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 11/10/2013 at 13:22

Heh Heh Tilapia I kind of suspected it was due to traveller's jetlag. Hope you had a nice flight =)

#7 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,823

Posted by Tilapia on 11/10/2013 at 20:15

I wish, Bob. It was a 6-hour drive!!! Montreal just does that to me. If you've never been, I highly recommend the place.

Best!!!

#8 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,485
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by DLuek on 11/10/2013 at 22:12 TF writer

Used to live two hours from Montreal. My head's still fuzzy from the last time I was there, seven years ago. :)

#9 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,121
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by captainbkk on 12/10/2013 at 05:58

there is an alternative-saving 1 change and time (no direct connect at Suphan).From (and thus also into Sangkla) are hourly minivans to Kan and .8 big buses, half of which run ON/come from BKK-MOCHIT-which has big buses ev 20/30 mins to Ayut. This includes the daily overnite bus (as such not recdd-unless dead poor Malay student with an Asianattitude).MOchit also has direct expresswaybuses to RAYONG-the jump-off point for BanPhae=ferry to Samet.
The route via Suphan is not very interesting, but neither is that via BKK-of which bigcity you wont see very much by using thse buses.

#10 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Posted by somanights on 23/10/2013 at 10:50

We're in Kanchanaburi currently, and there are waves of offers 'taxis' to Ayutthaya and elsewhere for 400B. I've read here and other forums that non-government buses can be risky, has this been the experience of anyone making this journey (as we plan to in a couple of days)?

Also, is it really more cost/time efficient to go this way rather than back to bkk and up to Ayutthaya? Plenty of places tell us the alternative route options, but would appreciate advice of someone who's had recent experiences here.

BTW, Kanchanaburi is nice. Staying at VN Guesthouse, enjoying a very pleasant, relaxing stay on the rafthouse! Great value for 475B

#11 somanights has been a member since 10/10/2013. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 21
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by amnicoll on 24/10/2013 at 05:14

No problem with govt. busesalthough they are slow they are safe and cheap

I very much doubt that it is either more effective in time to go via BKK and certainly not if you use the train or bus but you may save a few baht if you go via mini van via BKK

#12 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 616

Posted by somanights on 24/10/2013 at 06:37

Thanks for the reply. Took our first bus trip today coming back from Nam Tok, and it was comfortable and well fanned, so less concerned about going the normal route now.

#13 somanights has been a member since 10/10/2013. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 21
 Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.