Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Koh Samet update?

• Hbuttemer

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2013

Anyone been to Koh Samet lately? We are an older couple about to begin a six month backpack exploration of SEA. We have scheduled rabies vaccinations at the Thai Travel Clinic in Bangkok beginning on November 1. Our plans at this point are to spend four days in Bangkok and then escape to a nearby beach for a few days before returning to Bangkok for the second rabies shot on November 8. Is Koh Samet a reasonable option at this point? It's hard to find an update on conditions there since the oil spill in late July. Or does anyone have a suggestion for another nearby destination for 2-4 days? We're into going slow and avoiding the party scene.

#1 Posted: 13/10/2013 - 12:12

• Advertisement

• anderslewis

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2013

I had to change my plans from Koh Samet due to the oil. Not heard any update since the spill mind you.

Im now going to Koh Chang. 6 hours in a bus cant wait for that!

#2 Posted: 13/10/2013 - 16:06

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

I just returned from Samet last week -- a full update on Travelfish's Ko Samet content is on the way.

The oil spill is pretty much cleaned up. It really only had a serious effect on the west coastal beach, Ao Phrao , and when I was there you wouldn't have even known there had been a spill if not for a very faint scent of oil in the air. The three resorts on Ao Phrao expect to reopen in November.

But Ao Phrao is just one of many beaches on Samet, and oil spill or not, it's not the nicest one. Most beaches are on the east coast; even in the immediate aftermath, effects of the spill were minimal to nonexistent there. So I reckon Samet would be a fine option given your situation.

Unless you're looking to party, I'd recommend staying at one of the beaches south of Haad Sai Kaew and Ao Phai. Tubtim Resort on Ao Tubtim is great, Ao Nuan Bungalow on Ao Nuan is very peaceful if you seek seclusion, and either Vong Deurn Villa or Vong Deuan Resort are very good midrange choices on Ao Wong Duen, which is a lovely beach but with plenty of restaurants and other conveniences. If you want serious seclusion, Nimmanoradee Resort on Ao Pakarang at the far southern tip of the island's long tail is also a good choice.

#3 Posted: 13/10/2013 - 22:24

• Hbuttemer

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2013

Thanks for the replies. I think we will go ahead with our plans to visit Koh Samet for a few days in early November. It's good to get information from folks on the ground. Travelfish is a great resource!

#4 Posted: 14/10/2013 - 00:19

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Why would u need rabies vaccines?

#5 Posted: 14/10/2013 - 04:38

• Hbuttemer

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2013

Rabies in dogs is still a major problem in SEA. CDC recommends pre-exposure rabies vaccinations for people traveling for extended periods of time, especially if they plan to visit remote areas where treatment may be hard to get. That's us.

#6 Posted: 14/10/2013 - 09:28

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Chance of getting rabies is about 0.0001%

Dengue fever, typhoid and Hep A are bigger concerns

Who is the CDC?

Some American based group?

#7 Posted: 14/10/2013 - 21:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.